What stepper motor should I use thread - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What stepper motor should I use thread

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have Bridgeport, kindly advise how to calculate torqe for selection of stepper motors for X.Y & Z axis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hope this is in the right thread.

Im looking to build a cheap 3 axis hobby CNC for cutting plastic and maybe engraving aluminum.

Trouble is Im not sure what degree/step motors I should be using.
    As its only a hobby mill to begin with im not looking to sink too much money into it. All the motors I can find from old printers are all around 6-7 degrees per step.

Would this give a useless resolution?, Would it be usable for the z axis if i found something with a smaller step for the x and y?

I welcome and am grateful for any advice and CC, You will probably hear more about this project as it presses on also.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Usefull thread

Is this the right thread to post a question in if I don't want anyone to answer?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper info

I found this page on the HomeShopCNC web site to be helpful,

http://www.homeshopcnc.com/StepperMotorFAQ2.html

and this link is to a pretty comprehensive explanation of how steppers work.

http://www.solarbotics.net/library/p...f/motorbas.pdf

Timothy

Last edited by vintageracer; 10-11-2008 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Motor related calculations and realistic performance

Please help,

I need some guidance regarding realistic feed rates, accelerations, cutting forces etc. for stepper motor sizing calculations.

I'm also hoping someone can give me a reality check on the results of my initial calculations.

** Seeking typical values for the following **
    -What is a realistic rapid rate
    -Typical cutting rate for router in ¾ mdf
    -Typical cutting rates for 60watt & 100watt lasers cutting cotton fabric (bed sheet weight)
    -Typical cutting rate for plasma torch cutting 16 gage steel.
    -What are realistic accelerations for the weights indicated below?

** The machine **
    The machine will be a multi-purpose XYZ table. Initially, it will direct the beam from a 60-100 watt CO2 laser for cutting cotton fabric. Down the road, it will also do plasma cutting and light router work.

** Controls being used **
    Gecko G203V stepper drivers
    PDMX-122 breakout board
    Mach 3 software

** General parameters **
    Gantry weight: 70 lbs
    Cross slide weight 30lbs
    Table size: 4’x 8’
    Motor resolution 1.8 degrees per full step
    Motor resolution .18 degrees per microstep
    Desired linear resolution of .001”
    The X & & will be driven by belt. The Z will be ball screw.

** my attempt at the drive calculations **
    Assuming 1.194 pitch diameter final linear drive pulleys for both axis, the necessary ratio between the motor and final drive shafts should be 1.875 to 1 to get the desired linear motion per micro step

I calculate that, at this ratio, the driver will need to receive 16,666.7 pulses per second to run at the rapid rate of 1000ipm while the motor will be turning at 500rpm.

Both the X and Y axis are linear belt driven with reduction between motor and final drive. I have not gotten to the z – axis calculations yet.

The x axis which will move the gantry has the following specs:
    Mass to move: 70lbs
    Motor pulley: 1.194” Pitch Diameter
    Intermediate pulley: 2.387 Pitch Diameter
    Final linear drive pulley: 1.194” Pitch Diameter
    This axis needs 432 oz – in of torque to accelerate at 2 G’s

The Y axis which will move the cross slide has the following specs:
    Mass to move: 30lbs
    Motor pulley: .637” Pitch Diameter
    Intermediate pulley: 1.273” Pitch Diameter
    Final linear drive pulley: 1.194” Pitch Diameter
    This axis needs 198 oz – in of torque to accelerate at 2 G’s

How close am I?

Thanks in advance!

Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,
    I finally went off the deep end and ordered the parts to build my first machine.

The plan is a gantry style machine made of aluminum (80/20 and plate) with
    46" of x axis travel, 2 48" 10tpi acme leads
    22" of y axis travel, 1 24" 10tpi acme lead
    6 " of z axis travel, 1 9" 10tpi acme lead

all axis will be running on Thomson Accuglide 25 series rail and blocks, probably mass overkill but the price was right.

I have a Porter Cable 690 router I will be using as a spindle with precision collets.

I want to use it as an all purpose machine to cut wood, aluminum and brass using tooling from .5mm up to .5". I will be doing some jewelery type stuff with the metals and mostly sign work with wood.

The question is... What is the recomendation for a 4 axis Nema 23 based stepper system kit that would handle my wants with an good accuracy, durability, and speed. Price is as always a consideration but from what I have read here you get what you pay for and I only want to pay once...

Thanks all
    DC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good Day Everyone.

I'm also new here and as such a little curious about how to determine the most appropriate Stepper Motor specifications. What I would like to do is convert my existing Mill (Craftex B1976 Mill - http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B1976) to a CNC Mill. As such, I have visited various website and vendors and have found lots of interesting means to calculate the required specifications, the Parker Hannifin one was by far the easiest to use, but they all give me numbers and ratings which sound too low to be true! When I read that people are typically using Nema 34 and larger framed motors with torque ratings above 1200 oz-in and then these softwares tell me that all I am required to buy is a motor with 64 oz-in to drive a pulley system attached to my leadscrew assembly with a mass of 400 Lbs (worst case scenario); I’m not sure if I’m missing something from here or not. Even if I change the mechanical efficiency settings to make it the worst machine out there such as steel on steel with no lubrication and an efficiency of only 65%, I only get 64 oz-in motor required?

If any of you know how to do this, I would appreciate some help in this regard. The specs of my machine are as follows.

TPI = 10
    Length of Leadscrew = roughly 33”
    Diameter of Leadscrew = 0.5”
    Density of Steel = 0.28 Lb/in^3
    Friction Coefficient = 0.58
    Table Mass = 400 Lb
    I’ve said maximum velocity = 300 rpm
    And the pulleys are:
    Motor Pulley Diameter = 1.46 in
    Motor Pulley Thickness = 1.063 in
    Density = 0.096 lb/in^3
    Load Pulley Diameter = 3.73 in
    Load Pulley Thickness = 1.063 in
    Density = 0.096 lb/in^3

Thanks for any help/advise you folks can offer to me and Cheers…

Downloads
    Uploads

If your going to direct drive the screws with the stepper motors, I would use 600oz/in ones. Speed will be around 200ipm with a 10 TPI lead screw.
    It would be alot easier however, to belt drive the axis and give it a 2:1 at the same time. Then you could use 400oz/in steppers and a Gecko G540 to run the whole thing. The 2:1 will slow it down a bit but the table isn't that big so there's really no reason to go 300ipm. Accuracy will increase and you won't likely have to use micro stepping.
    Currently I have 100ipm on my DynaMyte 4400 and its not that bad, as long as the controller doesn't get stuck at 12ipm.

Timothy

Hold on, you said 300rpm... with a 10 TPI thats 30ipm.
    Is this correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, good people!
    I just got a question. There is photos in my gallery of my project. This is going to be a 4'x8' 3 axis cnc router.
    Now, the question is, how do I do the x-axis motion? should I use 2 steppers with lead screw on each, or one stepper with 2 lead screws chain bonded, or use linear gears on both tracks and rod bonded pulleys with one stepper?
    Any advise appreciated!
    p.s. Sorry for my English

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1 Motor per axis. XYZ

Why would you need more?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default more...

On the pictures in my gallery you can see the "skeleton".
    Bad thing when you don't know something to begin with and then forget it... (russian joke
    I have seen other people make x-axis with two steppers.
    Is it possible to operate two steppers in parallel mode? And also I am not sure if it is a good idea to have lead screws diameter 3/4" and almost 10 feet long. I am afraid of vibration, almost wobbling around... This is why I am considering having a linear gears and stuff.
    It is you know... may be I need a little push in right direction. some advise, thoughts.
    Thank you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bipolar or Unipolar? That is the Question

Hey Yall,

I am thinking of building a CNC router to cut out aircraft instrument panels and I have been reading a bit on the different types of stepper motors and controllers. I have read that unipolar steppers and controls are easier to work with, but the article didn't explain why. I understand the difference from how they operate, but I don't know which best for me. Uni or Bi? I see a product by Novakon that seems to have enough muscle (370 in/lbs.) to do the job of cutting .090 2023-T3 aircraft aluminum, but the rated current is 3.7 amps/phase, which is higher than the maximum 3 amp/phase supplied by the Hobby CNC Pro Chopper driver kit I wanted to use. If I select this combination, I worry that I will not get the full utility from the motors, and the controllers that Novakon offers are out of my budget. Does anyone know where I can get an affordable unipolar controller that will drive up to 4 amps or so? Or should I even worry about it and set up a bipolar system?

Thanks for your help,

Kris

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2 motors

Quote Originally Posted by robotek View Post
    On the pictures in my gallery you can see the "skeleton".
    Bad thing when you don't know something to begin with and then forget it... (russian joke
    I have seen other people make x-axis with two steppers.
    Is it possible to operate two steppers in parallel mode? And also I am not sure if it is a good idea to have lead screws diameter 3/4" and almost 10 feet long. I am afraid of vibration, almost wobbling around... This is why I am considering having a linear gears and stuff.
    It is you know... may be I need a little push in right direction. some advise, thoughts.
    Thank you.
    2 motors are better. One on each side of the gantry. One will be a slave. I dont know what software your going to use, but 2 motors certainly are better in your sretup.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can Any one suggest an equivalent NEMA 34 size motor to superior electrics M091-FD-6217 150oz 200 step 1.8v 4.7a. . . I have an old gerber system48 and one of the steppers has gone down.. . I appreciate that I will have to replace both the x and y axis. . but after loads of searching I can't seem to find anything similar.

Thanks in advance !

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a good link with a ton of info.

Stepper Motors

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Hallo there

Hi everyboady, this is the first time I write something on cnczone forums, and I'm not here to help as I'm a novice, I'm here to get helped :-) (and sorry in advanced for the bad english)
    I'm building my second cnc mill, it has a 1,3 m/ 0.8m working area, and as it is preaty big I'd like to place two leadscrews for the X axis - one on each side. so far so good... I have some 4 nema stepper motors rated at 2 amps and a driver board (3 axis) rated at max 3 amps/phase. My plan is to link in parallel the stepper motors (phase by phase) on the x axis , but I don't know how to limmit the current so that I don't burn up my driver board... Any sugestions?? (besides buy another driver/steppers)
    I thought of linking in series with each lead from the motors a resistor to limit the current to the desired value... I have no Ideea how this would work and how it would affect the performance of the motors (especially)
    If anyone has any ideea please let me kow, or send me a link to where I can find something related
    Thank you and may your projects live forever ;-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anybody has bought this kit

(Gecko Diver G540 3 axis kit (One G540 + Three NEMA 23 KL23H284-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with a flat) 387 oz-in + one KL-350-48 48V/7.3A 115V /230V power supply: $455.95)

and if you have if you could give me your opinion on it. and most importantly other than the computer, software, limit switches, e-stop, Is this kit complete?
    The part I`m getting alittle confused about is that other kits include a driver for each motor, does the one Gecko driver control them all?
    And finally does that seem like a decent price?

Basically I`ve almost finished building a 24" by 48" gantry router mill, while the machine was fairly straightforward to build, 3 days of reading about stepper motors is starting to make my head spin.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rmorgan View Post
    Hey everyone, I was wondering if anybody has bought this kit

(Gecko Diver G540 3 axis kit (One G540 + Three NEMA 23 KL23H284-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with a flat) 387 oz-in + one KL-350-48 48V/7.3A 115V /230V power supply: $455.95)

and if you have if you could give me your opinion on it. and most importantly other than the computer, software, limit switches, e-stop, Is this kit complete?
    The part I`m getting alittle confused about is that other kits include a driver for each motor, does the one Gecko driver control them all?
    And finally does that seem like a decent price?

Basically I`ve almost finished building a 24" by 48" gantry router mill, while the machine was fairly straightforward to build, 3 days of reading about stepper motors is starting to make my head spin.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    check here

First DIY CNC Project : DIY CNC Router Part 2 : System Components |

Video

YouTube - ‪Testing Gecko 540 + Keling Steppers + Mach 3 + Surplus Ball Screws‬‏

He used this kit, but same price
    Gecko Diver G540 3 axis kit (One G540 + Three
    NEMA23 KL23H2100-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with a flat) 381
    oz-in + one KL-350-48 48V/7.3A 115V /230Vpower supply:$455.95

Keling Kit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi rmorgan, that's my video and site linked above. I have a build post in the DIY Wood Router but my site is more descriptive. I found this post when I was checking my website referrer logs.

I've been very happy with the kit I bought from Keling and everything has worked great. When the parts arrived, I soldered the DB-9 connectors onto the steppers, connected the power supply to the Gecko 540 and jumped the emergency stop pins on the connector. Plugged it into Mach 3 and had running motors.

The Gecko runs up to 4 steppers at 3.5 amps, all within that one little box. It's pretty amazing but it does get very warm when running my router. While Gecko says it's alright for it to run hot (up to 70C) I run a 120mm fan across the back of it to keep the temperatures down.

If you run a motor with an amperage lower than 3.5 amps you need to solder a resistor into the DB-9 connector to set the current limiting for standby mode. That's covered in the Gecko 540 documentation at this URL Support

-Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a lot of generally good information on figuring out what sized stepper and how fast it will turn and what sort of driver you need at:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/steppers.htm#Estimating

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast