Power Supply sizing question

Thread: Power Supply sizing question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power Supply sizing question

I have 3 KL4030's running 3 NEMA 23 425 oz steppers I want to move to a new machine. I want to add 2 new drivers. I was looking at 2 KL5056 drivers running 2 NEMA 23 425oz steppers.

Can I run these on one power supply or should I run the existing power supply and add a new power supply for the KL5056?

This is for a new CNC router build moving from JGRO CNC. Plan to run 2 425oz steppers on the Y Axis and then 2 for the X and Y axis and the last for a future rotary indexer.

I am using an older C10 breakout board.

Rick

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power Supply sizing question

Normally all the steppers run on the same power supply. Figure on supplying at least enough current for 2 motors running at full power, according to the nameplate amperage rating, plus a safety factor. So if the motors draw 3 amps each, supplying 8 amps should be safe. .It doesn't hurt to supply more current, it's just more expensive. The optimum voltage can be calculated according to the motor inductance, using the formula <square root of inductance times 32>. Make sure this isn't too much voltage for your drivers, though.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Power Supply sizing question

I think you're talking about running 5 steppers in total? One on the X, two on the Y , one on the Z and one on A (a rotary)?
    I've seen a rule of thumb of 2/3 the rated stepper motor current for each motor. So 4.6 amps per a 425 oz in Nema 23 for example, times 5 = 23 amps. Times 2/3rds = about 15 amps.

If anyone sees an error with my math or approach, please chime in.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Power Supply sizing question

Quote Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
    I think you're talking about running 5 steppers in total? One on the X, two on the Y , one on the Z and one on A (a rotary)?
    I've seen a rule of thumb of 2/3 the rated stepper motor current for each motor. So 4.6 amps per a 425 oz in Nema 23 for example, times 5 = 23 amps. Times 2/3rds = about 15 amps.

If anyone sees an error with my math or approach, please chime in.
    Yes I agree. When sizing power supplies, the supply current should be calculated by totaling up the rated current for all steppers, then multiplying that by 2/3.

Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

-------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com