Need Help! Cooked stepper???

Thread: Cooked stepper???

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Cooked stepper???

Hi all,

I have a 6040 CNC which I've had a for a while and it's taken me a long time to get it up and running for various reasons, but in the last 6 months it's been running (now and then I only use it when I have to cut carbon fibre). I don't use it every day nor even every week.

Anyway I've removed the old control system that came with it and now runs the following:

ESS Smoothstepper
    Gecko G540
    48v Power Supply (for Gecko/Steppers)
    Steppers are 57HD5401-14S/8 1.8* 3.0A (Originals that came with machine)

Now last week I was cutting a bunch of carbon one day and the next day did a large piece which took about 4 hours to cut during which time the X Stepper reached 130 degrees C (~266F I believe). Which is probably a little too hot.

The day after that I tried to go and cut a couple more pieces and the X stepper now seems to stall when I try to job or move the machine at any reasonable speed. it seems to be ok t low speed but as I job faster or move at the cutting speeds I've been using it stalls.

The question (eventually) is, is this due to the stepper motor magnets over heating or motor overheating?

Everything else on the system stayed the same, the G540 temp was just warm during the long cuitting job, everything else seemed ok.

Thanks,
    Tony

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cooked stepper???-hotdamnhot-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cooked stepper???

I am afraid you already gave the answer. 130 degrees is to much Look in the specs of your motors. These modern magnets are very strong, but don't like temperatures above 80 degrees.
    Replace the motor and check the temperature to see if you run on a to high current

Downloads
    Uploads

Stepper motors are designed to be ran at the plate rated current all times, not less, not more.
    Although a modern drive operates at a much higher voltage than the plate rated value, the drive should monitor the current and provide exactly the rated current at all times.
    Usually via a PWM method.
    Yours appears to be operating too high.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If you use G540, it is better to use this motor, it is rated at 3.5A

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...flat-381-oz-in

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    I am afraid you already gave the answer. 130 degrees is to much Look in the specs of your motors. These modern magnets are very strong, but don't like temperatures above 80 degrees.
    Replace the motor and check the temperature to see if you run on a to high current
    Thanks. Will look at this, there doesn't seem to be a lot of stock in Australia when I last looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Stepper motors are designed to be ran at the plate rated current all times, not less, not more.
    Although a modern drive operates at a much higher voltage than the plate rated value, the drive should monitor the current and provide exactly the rated current at all times.
    Usually via a PWM method.
    Yours appears to be operating too high.
    Will have a look, I think I'm running the steppers with a 2.5A setting resistor on the Gecko drives which might be an issue if I need to run it at 3.0A on the sticker (assuming thats a real spec)

Quote Originally Posted by automationtechinc View Post
    If you use G540, it is better to use this motor, it is rated at 3.5A

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...flat-381-oz-in
    I'll have a look, shipping to Australia might be an issue though.

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry I didn't notice any notifications of responses and sadly life got in the way until recently.

Tony

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Tony - I've run steppers on a gecko 540 at less than 3A for extended periods no problem. I'd swap the suspect motor to another axis and see if it has the same issue before buying a new motor. Homann Design may have a stock motor if you want a Melbourne supplier. High temp can demagnetise the magnet so that could be the issue. Change the limiting resistor to the correct value for 3A and that solves a few issues as well, that helped in my G540 set up. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by defMondo View Post
    Will have a look, I think I'm running the steppers with a 2.5A setting resistor on the Gecko drives which might be an issue if I need to run it at 3.0A on the sticker (assuming thats a real spec)

Tony
    According to the spec sheet they are rated for 3a, this should mean 3 Amps Continuous.
    Running at 2.5, will run them under spec, which should pose no problems, Over 3A (overheating) is in the danger zone.
    If you are cooking it, it indicates excess (>3A) current.

Last edited by Al_The_Man; 02-15-2023 at 04:53 PM.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi - When I first used a G540 it had issues when running large N23s on 4 axes. I communicated with the Gecko tech and they said to put the 3A limiters on and it then worked flawless for years.... Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi - When I first used a G540 it had issues when running large N23s on 4 axes. I communicated with the Gecko tech and they said to put the 3A limiters on and it then worked flawless for years.... Peter
    Exactly, steppers are designed to run at the plate rated current, from 0 RPM up to maximum RPM at rated current .

Albert E.