HUGE noise from nema23 and very hot TB6600

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HUGE noise from nema23 and very hot TB6600

Downloads
    Uploads

Default HUGE noise from nema23 and very hot TB6600

Hi guys,

I set up my nema23 stepper motor 2.8A using a TB6600 driver/Adruino board as per link: https://mytectutor.com/tb6600-steppe...-with-arduino/
    TB6600 Stepper Motor Driver with Arduino. – MYTECTUTOR
    The TB6600 stepper motor driver is used to control larger two-phase bipolar stepper motors like NEMA 23 motors used in 3D printers, CNC machines and robots. In this tutorial I’ll describe the TB6600 motor driver hardware in detail and also demonstrate how to control the dr
    mytectutor.com

I uploaded a sketch found from the link and as soon as I put in the USB to power the stepper motor I hear the motor make a loud buzzing noise so I switched it all off
    The heat the motor and the TB6600 driver generated during those 5 seconds was "hot to touch".

I have done some tests as follows;

Made sure the pairing of the coil wires are correct which they were.

Was getting a steady 24VDC to the TB6600 driver.

Amp setting on TB6600 was set to 2.8A

Microstepping was set t 1.

I cannot see what I could have done wrong. I usually am thorough in my approach. I am using the below cables for connecting TB6600 to the Adriuno board.
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac...1&d=1660074325

Could the sketch be the cause of the problem? I am very new to GBRLL, C+ , adruino, TB6600 .. Been enjoying the new hobby.

const int stepPin = 5;
    const int dirPin = 2;
    const int enPin = 8;

void setup() {
    pinMode(stepPin,OUTPUT);
    pinMode(dirPin,OUTPUT);
    pinMode(enPin,OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(enPin,LOW);

}

void loop() {
    digitalWrite(dirPin,HIGH); // Enables the motor to move in a particular direction
    for(int x = 0; x < 800; x++) {
    digitalWrite(stepPin,HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    digitalWrite(stepPin,LOW);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    }
    delay(1000); // One second delay
    digitalWrite(dirPin,LOW); //Changes the direction of rotation
    for(int x = 0; x < 800; x++) {
    digitalWrite(stepPin,HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    digitalWrite(stepPin,LOW);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    }
    delay(1000);
    }

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HUGE noise from nema23 and very hot TB6600-thumbnail_pastedimagefile-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HUGE noise from nema23 and very hot TB6600

What kind stepper motors do you have? 4 wires or more?
    Some steppers are not made to run in this configuration.

And the arduino sketch you are using is an example and not a good one.
    There is no timing of the pulses, you get what you get from microcontroller which could be to much.
    Direction pulse normally twice longer than Steps.
    There is no going between low and high in Steps, it depends on how you want to wire it with common positive or negative.
    Enable if not hooked up doesn’t effect the operation of the motor.
    I’ve played with arduino steppers setup about 10 years ago.
    There is a software GRBL I would use if building from arduino.

Downloads
    Uploads

ive done gbrrll but with nema17; motor not big enough so bigger drivers like tb6600 could drive nema 23 which was perfect for me

the motor has 4 wires ; 2 + 2 paired all good; checked resistance showing 1.5 when paired properly

i will remove enable cables; can someone kindly post me the most simple sketch just to test the motor i would massivley appreciate that . thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

From your description, you may have a faulty TB6600 chip (one or more output transistors shorted).

I presume you do have a multimeter? Unplug the TB6600 driver completely, wait a minute for the capacitors to discharge, and check the resistance between each motor output (A+, A-, B+, B-) and the power bus (GND, Vcc). Use the multimeter in the "200 ohms" range. If you see a short circuit between any of the above pins, you have a problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

i left the tb6600 on for a couple of minutes turned it off. put it on 200 ohms. and had one probe on the coil outputs and other probe on either GD and VC.
    There was zero reading.

Downloads
    Uploads

can i ask if outputs were dead from tb6600 then how was the motor able to draw power from it to heat up.?

Downloads
    Uploads

"Zero reading" meaning open circuit, I presume? Then the outputs are not dead, at least not in an obvious way.

If one output pin (say, A-) is shorted to one of the power rails, the current from the complementary output (A+) would still flow through the motor coil and heat it up.

If A- output is shorted to one rail while A+ is shorted to the opposite rail, the motor coil would receive the full 24V power supply voltage (and heat up very quickly).

Downloads
    Uploads

It is not that simple, if the control of H bridges in that chip is compromised there is nothing one can check with a tester.
    It’s better to have an oscilloscope and differential probes to really determine the functionality.
    Suppose the output stage is not shorted but controls open the bridge/ bridges or does it not in a right order then you get hot motor and driver.
    Luckily the chip has overcurrent protection and shuts off shortly and then cycles
    For the price of tb660 drivers on Amazon $10 ,do you really want to mess with it.
    I’ve used same drivers with nema23 motors and never had any problems unless it was my own screwups.
    I had some steppers from a big copy machine- that got hot and very unstable when I tried to use them in the set up I know works.
    That’s why I asked about steppers before.
    That scketch you using should work .
    Can you take couple photos that we can see how you connect power supply and arduino to the driver.
    Unless of course the driver is dead …

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got another driver and the resistance on the 200K setting showed that the new unit shows resistance values between all A+ A-, B+ B- and VC/GND
    The old unit shows zero readings therefore something happened on STARTUP to the old unit.

Picture attached on how I am wiring the POWER 24VDC to the driver.

https://ibb.co/6sY17zr
    https://ibb.co/DW0jLBdhttps://maxcdn.cnczone.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttps://maxcdn.cnczone.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HUGE noise from nema23 and very hot TB6600-tb6600-2-jpg   HUGE noise from nema23 and very hot TB6600-tb6600-1-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

And you connected all the negatives from the driver control terminal to the GRN of arduino so you control it with positive pulses .
    It should work. Don’t disconnector/connect any wires wile the system powered up , don’t switch steps or current settings and do not disconnect motor leads - it will blow the driver.
    Here is some examples: https://www.makerguides.com/tb6600-s...uino-tutorial/
    With explanation of every line of code. As I’ve said before , there is no real timing of the pulses just delays of the loop.
    You don’t need to connect enable pins.
    If you have all good parts and connected right it should work.

Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Vlod, it worked great right off the bat thanks!

I am trying to achive as follows;

I have a ballscrew and would like it to go clockwise until it hits a limit switch then reverses direction; anticlockwise, again , hits another limit switch, then reverses direction back and forth and goes all day long.

Is this possible? with TB6600, Adruino.

I hope so.

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m glad you made it work.
    It is possible , just add the functions “when” in the loop and define the pins you going to use.
    Wire them as digital inputs and you good to go.
    A question- why would you use steppers for that ?
    It’s simple just to get geared dc or ac motors and ran them through the end switches without arduino.
    As simpler design as more reliable it would be.

Downloads
    Uploads

Because I am a newbie and don't know much and also I wanted to add a DELAY of 60 seconds after every limit switch activation.

So I could get a geared DC motor as powerful as a 3A nema motor and wire it to the TB6600 without the adriuno?

How do I program it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by damunk View Post
    Because I am a newbie and don't know much and also I wanted to add a DELAY of 60 seconds after every limit switch activation.

So I could get a geared DC motor as powerful as a 3A nema motor and wire it to the TB6600 without the adriuno?

How do I program it?

I'd say you'd be better off with AC servo. Using CCWL/CWL limiting (if I'm right) so it hits its limit, changes direction, hits limit, changes direction, and so on back and forth. All done in the driver.
    You could likely then use simple timer relays as delays.

Need someone more clued up on this such as Craig or Mactec54, I'm fairly confident that's how it works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a major disadvantage if I do it with adruino? is adriuno and TB6600 board able to run 24 hours 5 days?

Downloads
    Uploads

This is the code I am using;

/* Example sketch to control a stepper motor with TB6600 stepper motor driver and Arduino without a library: continuous rotation. More info: https://www.makerguides.com */

// Define stepper motor connections:
    #define dirPin 2
    #define stepPin 3

void setup() {
    // Declare pins as output:
    pinMode(stepPin, OUTPUT);
    pinMode(dirPin, OUTPUT);

// Set the spinning direction CW/CCW:
    digitalWrite(dirPin, HIGH);
    }

void loop() {
    // These four lines result in 1 step:
    digitalWrite(stepPin, HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    digitalWrite(stepPin, LOW);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    }

Can someone help me implent into the code a code where two limit switches at either end that will reverse the direction of the stepper motor when either of the limit switched are activated.

I have wired the limit switches up in the standard Normally Open

Downloads
    Uploads

The budget is a key.
    If you run something that long, then you probably should get continuous duty motor and not mechanical end switches like opto or magnetic. And then again - is it just for 5 day or every 5 days?
    What is your load on it? What is your current? Will you put it all in a box, will you provide forced ventilation?
    You can do servo but it will cost you.
    The reason for using steppers or servos is to provide accurate infinite positioning. In you case, there are two moves to the end.
    I would buy linear actuator desired distance and power and a delay timer or use an arduino to trigger the moves as long you already have it.
    I run arduino in a ticket machine and it works ok (every once in a wile it freezes if not used for a long time, just cycle he power to reboot and it’s good for another month)
    I run nema23 steppers in a small cnc router and they do get hot. I’ve seen people put heat sinks with fans on them.
    I think the longest I run them for 8 hours every day for a week. But if you don’t have much load then you could reduce the current. It all depends on the end result. If you just playing with it or you making commercials machine. Will it be anytime accessible or you put it in a tower or sent it to space. How reliable it has to be.
    I would not use an Arduino in a commercial application, it’s better to buy reliable PLC.
    For AC or DC geared motors you need different type of control. TB 6600 driver designed to work with steppers up to 3 Amps only.
    Depends on the load, available power and budget you can pick the motor, gearbox and controllers.
    If you just playing with it - experiment them to death… just put couple thermal fuses that it would not cache on fire…

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vlod View Post
    The budget is a key.
    If you run something that long, then you probably should get continuous duty motor and not mechanical end switches like opto or magnetic. And then again - is it just for 5 day or every 5 days?
    What is your load on it? What is your current? Will you put it all in a box, will you provide forced ventilation?
    You can do servo but it will cost you.
    The reason for using steppers or servos is to provide accurate infinite positioning. In you case, there are two moves to the end.
    I would buy linear actuator desired distance and power and a delay timer or use an arduino to trigger the moves as long you already have it.
    I run arduino in a ticket machine and it works ok (every once in a wile it freezes if not used for a long time, just cycle he power to reboot and it’s good for another month)
    I run nema23 steppers in a small cnc router and they do get hot. I’ve seen people put heat sinks with fans on them.
    I think the longest I run them for 8 hours every day for a week. But if you don’t have much load then you could reduce the current. It all depends on the end result. If you just playing with it or you making commercials machine. Will it be anytime accessible or you put it in a tower or sent it to space. How reliable it has to be.
    I would not use an Arduino in a commercial application, it’s better to buy reliable PLC.
    For AC or DC geared motors you need different type of control. TB 6600 driver designed to work with steppers up to 3 Amps only.
    Depends on the load, available power and budget you can pick the motor, gearbox and controllers.
    If you just playing with it - experiment them to death… just put couple thermal fuses that it would not cache on fire…
    Vlod. There will be hardly any load on it at all.
    And it is an experiment so I don’t want to spend any more Than I have done YET.

I went from gbrll nema 17 to tb6600 nema 23 on advice therefore if I could Atleast get this working with the correct code.

Then if it does what I am expecting it to do which is similar to a engraving application , then yes I am willing to spend more and my company will pay for my expenses.

I have all the limit
    Switches wire to Digital output pins on the Adriano and ready to rock and roll.

I just need the code now for “when limit switch (1 or 2) is activated reverse motor direction).

Downloads
    Uploads

*/

//Pins definitions
    #define forward 11 // button forward pin
    #define reverse 12 //button reverse pin
    #define stepPin 3 // STEP+ pin
    #define dirPin 2 // DIR+ pin
    #define enPin 4 // ENABLE+ pin

//Declare variables
    boolean stateForward; //0--> motor off /1--> motor forward
    boolean stateReverse; //0--> motor off /1--> motor reverse
    int Speed = 500; //speed of motor

void setup() {
    //pins configuration
    pinMode(forward, INPUT_PULLUP);
    pinMode(reverse, INPUT_PULLUP);

pinMode(stepPin, OUTPUT);
    pinMode(dirPin, OUTPUT);
    pinMode(enPin, OUTPUT);

digitalWrite(enPin, HIGH); //disable the driver

Serial.begin(9600);
    }

void loop() {
    if (digitalRead(forward) == LOW) { //if the button is pressed
    digitalWrite(enPin, LOW); //enable the driver
    Serial.print("Forward");

//Enables the motor direction to move
    digitalWrite(dirPin, HIGH);
    //Makes 200 Pulses for making one full cycle rotation
    for (int x = 0; x < 500; x++) {
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    }
    }

if (digitalRead(reverse) == LOW) { //if the button is pressed
    Serial.print("Reverse");
    digitalWrite(enPin, LOW); //enable the driver
    //Changes the rotations direction
    digitalWrite(dirPin, LOW);
    // Makes 200 pulses for making one full cycle rotation
    for (int x = 0; x < 500; x++) {
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    delayMicroseconds(500);
    }
    }

}

This seems to work but limit switches act as a forward and reverse button.

They don't change the direction of the motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Damunk, I don’t do programming.

Just remember when you use delay function - it delays everything , including ability to read inputs.
    I would use https://www.airspayce.com/mikem/ardu...elStepper.html library

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast