Homemade CNC stepperdriver question

Thread: Homemade CNC stepperdriver question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homemade CNC stepperdriver question

Hello,

As a hobby project i am building a homemade cheap AliExpress CNC machine.
    The parts i have bought are:

X, Y and Z frame parts:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33049...21ef79d2j8Cc6q

Stepperdrivers:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40003...21ef79d2j8Cc6q

Spindel motor:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32704...21ef79d2j8Cc6q

Controller:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40008...21ef79d2j8Cc6q

I have installed everything and i have done a few small tests. The first thing i noticed was how loud the machine was. I have a few 3d printers (prusa's) and noticed the huge difference between a 3d printer and this machine. Maybe it is normal and i just compared it with a 3d printer, maybe it is not normal.

What i already read online is that the TB6600 stepperdrivers (which i don't think i have, probably i have the cheaper TB67S109AFTG) are not that great.

Is it worth to upgrade the stepperdrivers already?
    I saw a few options, the DM556T but also the closed loop CL57T

Both from omc-stepperonline.com

I tried some test in MDF wood and also 3mm thick aluminium (with these drillbits: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32617...21ef79d2j8Cc6q)

The wood was okay but i noticed some losing steps (maybe i was milling too slow or too fast?)
    Milling in the aluminium went okay, i saw the drill shaking when the mill was going to one side on the X-axle, but went smooth to the other side.

I also did a quick acrylic test but the bit melted the acrylic which didn't workout really good.

The whole CNC thing is new for me but i try to learn more as i keep trying new things.

Thanks already for the help

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bbuster View Post
    Hello,
    As a hobby project i am building a homemade cheap AliExpress CNC machine.
    The parts i have bought are:
    X, Y and Z frame parts:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/33049...21ef79d2j8Cc6q
    Is it worth to upgrade the stepperdrivers already?
    I saw a few options, the DM556T but also the closed loop CL57T
    Thanks already for the help

You want to run those motors on at least 48vdc to the drivers.
    Change to DM556T and up your voltage.

Personally I would run them using DM860T and 60+vdc. It would fly and they are good drivers. Those motors are likely to be high inductance so the bigger the driver and higher the voltage the better they will work.

Closed loop drivers won't work with open loop steppers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    You want to run those motors on at least 48vdc to the drivers.
    Change to DM556T and up your voltage.

Personally I would run them using DM860T and 60+vdc. It would fly and they are good drivers. Those motors are likely to be high inductance so the bigger the driver and higher the voltage the better they will work.

Closed loop drivers won't work with open loop steppers.
    Thank you for your reply. I already saw the DM860T but thought they would be overkill.

As a power supply, how many amps would it need to deliver at 60v? (Or 60+/80v)

Edit:
    I also see that the DM860T has a newer v3.0 version. This version is only available from china (omc-stepperonline.com) but costs about $70 more on shipping than the german version (and i probably need to pay more tax as well).

Is the v3.0 better than the older one or am i not going to see any differences?

Last edited by bbuster; 04-13-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your reply. I already saw the DM860T but thought they would be overkill.
    As a power supply, how many amps would it need to deliver at 60v? (Or 60+/80v)
    Edit:
    I also see that the DM860T has a newer v3.0 version. This version is only available from china (omc-stepperonline.com) but costs about $70 more on shipping than the german version (and i probably need to pay more tax as well).
    Is the v3.0 better than the older one or am i not going to see any differences?
    I reckon the dfferences will be subtle. I bought mine a while ago and it's been sweet.

Running nema 23/24 at higher voltage isn't a problem. Just keep an eye on motor heat initially and adjust amps as/if necessary, and that's it once happy.

If motors are 2.8A and there's 4, I would think that an 8-10A supply is plenty. Usually you add all motors together, divide it by 3, then multiply by 2. This gives you a rough estimate to go by.

What you find with the budget motors is that they crap themselves when using a low voltage of say 24v.
    The noise and skipping will be resonance and the volts not overcoming the inductance.

I doubled my speed on my nema24's going to 60v and increased ny nema34 by 60% by going from 60 to 80v. Still only gets touch warm.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade CNC stepperdriver question

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I reckon the dfferences will be subtle. I bought mine a while ago and it's been sweet.

Running nema 23/24 at higher voltage isn't a problem. Just keep an eye on motor heat initially and adjust amps as/if necessary, and that's it once happy.

If motors are 2.8A and there's 4, I would think that an 8-10A supply is plenty. Usually you add all motors together, divide it by 3, then multiply by 2. This gives you a rough estimate to go by.

What you find with the budget motors is that they crap themselves when using a low voltage of say 24v.
    The noise and skipping will be resonance and the volts not overcoming the inductance.

I doubled my speed on my nema24's going to 60v and increased ny nema34 by 60% by going from 60 to 80v. Still only gets touch warm.
    Thank you for your reply. I will buy the DM860T (v3), any suggestions for the power supply?
    I am looking for 60v 10A+ or 80v power supplies but they are hard to find (except aliexpress but that would take a few weeks shipping also).

Is this a good one? https://www.amazon.com/Switching-Tra...0134129&sr=8-5

Or maybe this one and than a higher voltage? 80v (12,5A) , 90v (11A) or 100v (10A) variant?
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/40000...be91cdcadd38-1

Downloads
    Uploads

I prefer toroidal power supplies for driving motors. Buy the highest voltage that your drives are rated for.

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...power-supplies

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

The highest the drivers can go on DC is 100V, the highest on your site is 82V but it is a lot more expensive.

The 82v is worth the price difference compared to the Aliexpress 100v version?

Downloads
    Uploads

The highest the drivers can go on DC is 100V, the highest on your site is 82V but it is a lot more expensive.

The 82v is worth the price difference compared to the Aliexpress 100v version?

I prefer the linear power supplies rather than switching power supplies for driving motors. So to answer your question: Yes, in my opinion it is worth the price difference. You could easily make your own, but it might be less expensive just to buy one. Linear power supplies are just a transformer, a bridge rectifier, and a capacitor, that's all there is to it. Very simple and pretty much bulletproof. The transformer is normally the expensive part.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, it is my home made hobby project so I will see if its fits into the budget. The 82v version will be the good one?

Or will the 72v / 12A be also a good pick to save a bit of money (and probably better than a 80v to 100v switching power supply)

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, it is my home made hobby project so I will see if its fits into the budget. The 82v version will be the good one?

Or will the 72v / 12A be also a good pick to save a bit of money (and probably better than a 80v to 100v switching power supply)

I think the 72 V will be fine. But if it's in the budget, then go for the 82V

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I see the site only gives shipping cost to USA and I am living in Europe, I will mail them for shipping quote and see if it will be within budget

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I see the site only gives shipping cost to USA and I am living in Europe, I will mail them for shipping quote and see if it will be within budget

I've had no problem with meishile switching supplies.
    I do have a version of one of them.

As for the toroidal transformers. With the drivers being AC capable you could prob hook one in directly to them.
    I haven't tried it yet as I'm not fully AC stepper drivered atm.

A 30vac x 2 output in series to give 60vac or a 35vac x2 in series to give 70vac.
    60vac would give around the equiv of 80vdc.
    70vac would give around the equiv of 95vdc.

Toroidal voltages do go up when idle so 70vac would go close to driver max. For nema 23/24 60vac is plenty. Even with 60vdc switched they fly

Toroidal something like:

https://uk.farnell.com/vigortronix/vtx-146-500-230/500va-toroidal-transformer-2x30v/dp/2817708

Tbf, even using single 55vac to the stepper drive is prob plenty of voltage. The 30/35vac only go up to 500va.

Worth doing some reading on all this, sizes/wiring/etc and a bit of math to work out requirements.

Last edited by dazp1976; 04-17-2022 at 06:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will have a look at this. I am not really familiar with those power supplies and don’t know exactly what i need but i will get into this. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I have bought and received all the things. I still went for a regular power supply because the one mentioned above was almost $400 in shipping.

Everything is installed and i can get all the things working, at least, when i run a program, all the axis move. The only problem i have now is when i manually move one of the axis (manual via the touch display), the axis i want to move hisses for half a second and then starts to move.

When i move for example axis Y, and immediately axis X, only the Y motor hisses for half a second but the X motor starts immediately after motor Y ends the movement.

I have contacted the guys from stepperonline and they said i need to make sure the timings are correct (see attachement).
    The controller i am using is the Makerbase DLC 32 but it is using GRBL.

I have checked all the settings but cannot find any settings like the attachement.
    The seller (from stepperdrivers) but also from makerbase say it should work together.

What am i doing wrong?
    The hissing before moving was not present on the cheap TB6600 drivers

Thanks a lot for the help!

PS: i am using a 100v DC power supply and StepperOnline DM860T (v3.0) stepper drivers

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade CNC stepperdriver question-dm860t-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have bought and received all the things. I still went for a regular power supply because the one mentioned above was almost $400 in shipping.

Everything is installed and i can get all the things working, at least, when i run a program, all the axis move. The only problem i have now is when i manually move one of the axis (manual via the touch display), the axis i want to move hisses for half a second and then starts to move.

When i move for example axis Y, and immediately axis X, only the Y motor hisses for half a second but the X motor starts immediately after motor Y ends the movement.

I have contacted the guys from stepperonline and they said i need to make sure the timings are correct (see attachement).
    The controller i am using is the Makerbase DLC 32 but it is using GRBL.

I have checked all the settings but cannot find any settings like the attachement.
    The seller (from stepperdrivers) but also from makerbase say it should work together.

What am i doing wrong?
    The hissing before moving was not present on the cheap TB6600 drivers

Thanks a lot for the help!

PS: i am using a 100v DC power supply and StepperOnline DM860T (v3.0) stepper drivers

I would paste this issue into a new thread with a prefix of 'problem' or 'need help'.
    Being added to this one will limit how many view it.

This thread title reads to me as if you made your own driver.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I will do that!