Help troubleshooting odd stepper/motor behaviour

Thread: Help troubleshooting odd stepper/motor behaviour

Default Help troubleshooting odd stepper/motor behaviour

I am working on a y axis splitter circuit, and purchased two new inexpensive drivers to test it - see attached data sheets(2). Prior to testing the board, I am testing each driver with one stepper at a time. Here are the details of my test setup:

Wiring

Power supply is 24V 5A straight to VCC and GND of driver
    I have DIR+ and DIR- coming directly from A axis outputs of Masso G3 to CW+ and CLK+ respectively of driver
    I have CW- and CLK- of driver to Comm- terminal block (I have a star configuration for GND, Comm-, and VCC+ in my enclosure)
    The stepper wires are connected to respective driver inputs A+, A-, B+, B- Stepper motor is 23HS22-2804S - see attached data sheet
    *I have left EN+ and EN- open as shown in a variety of videos/online texts which should keep driver in enabled state

Driver settings

SW1=on
    SW2=off
    SW3=on
    S1=off
    This should set current to 2.0A
    S2=0n
    This should be 20% holding/stop current
    S3=on
    S4=on
    This should set 1/8 step (micro stepping)
    S5=off
    S6=off
    This sets decay setting to 0%

Masso A axis settings

Please see attached config image

The issue

The odd behaviour is that the stepper motor will move on its own without any DIR+ or STEP+ signal generated by the Masso G3. Sometimes the driver's RUN LED will flicker on when this happens, but usually not.

When I touch the shaft it feels like it is rotating in single steps, other times the rotation is greater and easily seen by the tape 'flag indicator' attached to the shaft.
    I did some research, and some discussion talked about certain electrical connections being 'open' as causing this, but the only thing that is 'open' is the EN+/- which many did in the Arduino videos/tutorials.
    I also revisited the Masso document, where some wiring examples show STEP+ and DIR+ as the only driver connections, while others show both +/- connected depending on the driver.
    From the TB6560 manual, it looks like I have it set up as 'common cathode', which I think is correct for mMasso and this driver.
    The only thing I did not do is connect the EN- as well to the Comm- as I did the CW-/CLK-, so I am not sure if this is the cause.

The stepper seems to be working, CW and CCW, responds to G0 and G01 MDI commands as well as A+ and A- jogging.
    I thought the stepper would run silently, but perhaps this is a function of the micro steps chosen, and the fact that it is running with no load.
    I should also mention that my X, Y/B, Z axes are all working as expected (different stepper motors/drivers), and that the A axis was working as expected when it was controlling my tangential knife rotary axis.

I would appreciate any insights as to what is happening and why, and how it may be resolved.

Thank you,

Tom