Stepper Motor Stalling - Hardware Suggestions?

Thread: Stepper Motor Stalling - Hardware Suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper Motor Stalling - Hardware Suggestions?

Hey everyone - I've been working on a machine of my own that has the following specs:

- 32v/9.7A power supply (Mean Well NES-350-36)
    - Two Nema 23 motors | 2.8A 178.5oz.in/1.26Nm
    - Two TB6600 drivers | 9-42v/4A max - set to 1/8th step, 2.5A (the 6-switch ones, they may or may not be Chinese knockoffs)
    - ESP32 controller (one core is dedicated to motor control, the other receives commands from a touchscreen)

The two motors are programmed to run simultaneously (AccelStepper), with Motor 1 spinning in a single direction while Motor 2 strafes back and forth rapidly.

The problem is, that when Motor 2 is moving back and forth rapidly, Motor 1 will stall at certain points when it changes direction. I made a post on the arduino forum that has the code that runs behind it if that seems relevant. I thought it might be, but they're saying it's resonance issues.

Here's a couple videos:
    1. Motor 1 running alone without stalling (as long as it's below 800rpms)
    2. Motor 1 and 2 running simultaneously (first mode is a simple back and forth strafe, no stalls. But the second mode with rapid back and forth motion on Motor 2 causes Motor 1 to stall)

If I turn the microstepping up on my current system, my max speed drops down and I worry about the torque needed for high speed back-and-forth strafing. I still can't understand if it's the case-switching of loops in the program or resonance from one motor somehow affecting the other.

If someone could help me pick out some new low-resonance hardware options, or offer some possible culprits, I'd be very grateful. Just feeling a little lost and frustrated at the prospect of having to upgrade everything.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper Motor Stalling - Hardware Suggestions?

The worst drivers ever made.

If these are the steppers:
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...m-4-wires.html
    Then, their inductance level is pretty high for their torque size. It's highly likely a single 36v supply is not enough for 3 or 4 motors and is dropping out. I assume it's a small printer or similar.
    I'm amazed if you actually get them to rapid above 600rpm.
    36v will never achieve a fast rapid reliably anyway. This has been proven many times over. Velocity is proportional to voltage and most people run at least 48v.

The best motors in that size range are these:
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...m-8-wires.html
    When they are wired in parallel configuration. However, this config requires 4.24A+ capable drivers.
    These above motors with DM556 drivers (5.6Amax) and a 48v power supply is the only logical choice to fix it properly.
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/di...or-dm556t.html

For power supply add all motor amps together. Divide by 3. Multiply by 2.
    Example 4 motors = 4.24x4= 16.96... /3= 5.65....x2= 11.30A.
    Go closest above this = 12A. So 48Vx12= 576w (so 48v 600w).
    That's the minimum.
    If you are able to up the drivers current with little heat probs then it will obviously need increasing.

Last edited by dazp1976; 11-28-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you so much for this, it's been bothering me for a couple weeks. So I'm just going to make some new parts orders on your recommendation, but maybe you can approve my power supply choice:

I take the rated current for the motor you suggested (Bipolar Parallel: 4.24A), apply your formula and get 5.653A minimum. So would that make this power supply a suitable choice? Would the voltage to my 3.3v ESP32 breakout board and 5v Nextion screen from one of the power supply channels be negligible?

Thank you again.

e: also, that motor seems to have dual shafts. Is there a suitable single-shaft one? I have the 23HS22-2804S motors that are rated 2.8A, 1.26nM found here. They're 4 wire and I don't know if they're wired parallel internally or not.

Please Contact us, We will tell you how to chose the motor and power supply

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...s-page/nema-23

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...g-power-supply

Downloads
    Uploads

The other guy explained the power supply / motor calculation, I just wasn't seeing a single-shaft version of the suggested motor in the same exact specs. I have a similar pair with slightly lower amperage but the same torque. The 23HS22-2804S, but it's 4-wire and I don't know if it's wired in parallel internally.