Impact on speed from extra weight with stepper motors

Thread: Impact on speed from extra weight with stepper motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Impact on speed from extra weight with stepper motors

I recently upgraded one of my axis with heavier mounting plates and it now seems to travel slower.

With a non-closed loop stepper, would slower travel (after increasing the load) be an indication that it's missing steps?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Impact on speed from extra weight with stepper motors

Best indication is to setup a set travel path and measure it wouldn't it? I've put a vernier in my vice before, set the machine against it in a positive direction for a couple of mm to make sure it's correct. And then set it to run 100mm (or so) to see what is the actual.

Speed and increasing it will eventually cause missing steps but speed is not the way to measure accuracy. Also it might be to advantage to download a torque curve for your motor as it drops off with rpm

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Goemon View Post
    I recently upgraded one of my axis with heavier mounting plates and it now seems to travel slower.

With a non-closed loop stepper, would slower travel (after increasing the load) be an indication that it's missing steps?
    I can't see that you could of added enough weight, for some mounts that would cause it to slow the motors, unless they where on the edge before you did the mod

At a guess I would say you have something miss-aligned that is causing binding

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It should not go slower unless you changed the velocity or acceleration settings. For lost steps to cause a lower speed, it would almost certainly be stalling, and not running smoothly at all.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It should not go slower unless you changed the velocity or acceleration settings. For lost steps to cause a lower speed, it would almost certainly be stalling, and not running smoothly at all.
    Ok that's helps. It runs runs smoothly and doesn't stall or make excess noise etc. I may have just added extra inertia.

I have no good way of checking if the speed matches the number I set in linuxcnc. It could be a change in acceleration that I'm seeing.

Would the same be true for acceleration? I.e. Would I expect it to be stalling or is a drop in acceleration an expected consequence of extra weight with stepper motors?

And... Should I be worried about acceleration in terms of it affecting accuracy?

Is this something people fine-tune by adjusting acceleration settings? I left these at default during set-up but there is now a considerable difference in load between my X and Y axis (with it being a fixed gantry / moving table design).