Newbie my stepper(Nema 34) datasheet says 5.5 Amps per phase. driver max 6 Amps

Thread: my stepper(Nema 34) datasheet says 5.5 Amps per phase. driver max 6 Amps

Downloads
    Uploads

Default my stepper(Nema 34) datasheet says 5.5 Amps per phase. driver max 6 Amps

my stepper datasheet says 5.5 Amps per phase. driver max 6 Amps

trying to figure what current limit (Amps) settings I should set the driver at.

The stepper motor data sheet (attached) says 5.5 Amps per phase.

My prior experiance with nema 17 small stepper motor which is rated at 1.2 Amps is that I had to set the driver to supply 2 amps to get the motor heat up to a reasonable temperature.

If I have to use the same ratio ( just a brain storming, I will not use any larger than 5.5 Amps untill I investigate the matter ), so if I have to use the same ratio, I will not have enough Amps in my driver which is rated at 6 Amps.

So please tell me how to approach this, should I set the driver at 5.5 which is the motor datasheet rating per phase, or I need to go by the motor temperature as I did with the nema 17.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my stepper(Nema 34) datasheet says 5.5 Amps per phase. driver max 6 Amps-datasheet-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: my stepper(Nema 34) datasheet says 5.5 Amps per phase. driver max 6 Amps

Hi Philip - Comes down to performance. The current setting is the max the driver will output. The driver is a current chopping circuit. Your motors won't be running max most of the time, the current drawn depends on the motor load. Warm motors are not an indication of performance. So set it at a low current and if they stall bring it up. You may find that for your work they run at low A's... Or if your bullish start at max and see what happens!! You won't know on the bench as the motors are under no load...Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: my stepper(Nema 34) datasheet says 5.5 Amps per phase. driver max 6 Amps

Thanks peteeng

Yes

I will start with a safe current settings and when I build the x/z carrage, I will test it on temporary runway using 20 mm ball screw with 2 ball nuts (not back to back but on both sides of the carrage.

It will be as good as the final machine.

I have long way to go.

Thanks