My Z axis motor acting weird.

Thread: My Z axis motor acting weird.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Z axis motor acting weird.

I have 3018 router (toy). last time before the issue I am going to describe, I pluged in the power cable to the driver board
    and observed some sparks coming out. Then I corrected the power supply side that was causing the spark.

After that the spindle motor comes on and stayed on. Nothing I can do to shut it down other than pulling its cable. I concluded that the driving circut integrated into the board died.

So I said I can live with that.

But then I observed the Z axis motor acting wrong but consistant and the issue is repeatable.

in the UGC sender I click Z- down and the motor goes down as it should. When I press the Z-up arrow, it will go down, and when click the Z-up arrow again, it will go up again as it should. So every time I changed the command from down to up, it will take one command down first before it act correctly.

I swaped the cables between X and Z motors, and the issue transfered to the X axis motor.So it is either the a4988 driver or the board.

I replaced the A4988 with new one and the issue persisted.

So I concluded that the board went bad and I ordered a new board. I also have spare Arduino sheild I thought I can replace the original board with, but I was not able to plug female jumper wires
    to the motors, the motors look like having special connector which I also placed order for, but where I am they will arrive mid July.

I do not want to open three motors and solder the connections and I do not want to cut the wires of the original plugs.

the X and Y motors well behaved..

my question

because I am in the middle of a small project and the delivery will take extended time, is there something I can do to repair the board?

It is the sainsmart ginmitsu controler which nothing but Arduino Uno with sheild integrated into one flat board rather than sheild style with some aditional components which I can live without. I can do very good soldering but I am not an electronic person.

where should I look ?

Thanks

Philip

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Z axis motor acting weird.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipTheArab View Post
    I have 3018 router (toy). last time before the issue I am going to describe, I pluged in the power cable to the driver board
    and observed some sparks coming out. Then I corrected the power supply side that was causing the spark.

Philip
    Brutal honesty suggests that if you can't trust it: Turn it off, walk away & wait.

However. Is this the board / connector type?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SainSmart-3...a-835161727906

If so. Those white plugs are the same as Lipo battery, JST-XH, 3s balance connectors.
    You could get some 3s balance lead extension cables and plug them into the motors, and cut the extension connector off on the other end to leave them bare.
    This way you don't have to cut the motor connectors off.
    Then, connect the open cable ends to any other control board you can get your hands on and carry on.

Like these cables here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/10pcs-JST-X...0220086&sr=8-9

If they don't look the same, put an image of the connectors here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes

Those are the ones

After seeing your post I grabed my only lipo connector and it fits. I will need 9 of those, three per motor.

I know where they sell those localy. I have to drive 300 km which is absolutly fine as I also get to visit my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Brutal honesty suggests that if you can't trust it: Turn it off, walk away & wait.
    I agree
    I may crash the spindle and damage somthing else if I insist to use a sick board.

I value your reply. Many thanks

Philip

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Z axis motor acting weird.-lipo-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The Z axis problem looks like a software problem. can you download the main program to your bord again, it might solve the Z axis problem.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    The Z axis problem looks like a software problem. can you download the main program to your bord again, it might solve the Z axis problem.
    I will give it a try tonight before tossing that board.

I do nothing now without crimping and proper solid connections. I learned the hard way.

Thanks