First of many dumb questions - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First of many dumb questions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: First of many dumb questions

What's confusing me is that if it s the PSU that's too low, why would only one of the drivers shut down? I can't believe the PSU shuts down one terminal connection vs another, so it must be the driver itself...the green light that is usually on goes off when it stops moving, but the blue pulse light stays on...I did some more reading and found the inductance of the motors is apparently ridiculously high...6.8 mH as quoted in the pdf I attached...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shepdog View Post
    What's confusing me is that if it s the PSU that's too low, why would only one of the drivers shut down? I can't believe the PSU shuts down one terminal connection vs another, so it must be the driver itself...the green light that is usually on goes off when it stops moving, but the blue pulse light stays on...I did some more reading and found the inductance of the motors is apparently ridiculously high...6.8 mH as quoted in the pdf I attached...
    I just actually looked at the equipment in the pdf.
    I don't want to be brutal.
    Well. Upping to 48v is out the window then.
    Inductance could possibly be playing a part in it.

Personally I'd start by scrapping the drivers and replacing them with DM860. Budget end ones on offer in the link. Good enough:
    Set at 4A.
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/di...per-motor.html
    Then carry on with the bench testing to get familiar with the systems.
    When you're ready to install it all (and can afford it again). Power all 3 with a single 60v 600w to 720w supply!.
    This higher voltage will overcome the 6.8mh inductance on the motors and should give you a decent velocity.
    36V will be very poor when you come to running properly.
    If the machine is noisy and you get resonance, that will be down to the inductance. (on 60v they might be ok though).
    So if by then you can afford it. Replace motors with:
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...m-4-wires.html
    Or
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/ne...s39-4204d.html
    That's about the jist of it.

I have 4nm steppers with 3mh inductance. Running off DM860A drivers. Powered with 60V.
    They're great.

Downloads
    Uploads

lol...I'm OK with brutal...I knew I was buying low end stuff, and was purely for self-education...i was just shocked that without even any physical load the motors or drivers would be cutting out. At least I've figured out Mach 3 a bit, the wiring, and loading files I've been able to generate in Fusion 360. Appreciate the feedback, and I'll checkout those links so I have a proper benchmark of what to upgrade to...I can at least build something around these motor sizes, and swap things out later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12