need some advise regarding the voltage supplied to a small stepper motor

Thread: need some advise regarding the voltage supplied to a small stepper motor

Downloads
    Uploads

Default need some advise regarding the voltage supplied to a small stepper motor

I have a stepper motor with name tag of 1.2 Amps

not sure if this is per phase or for both phases.

Any way I set the tb6600 at 2Amps in order to get it to a reasonable warm-hot (I still can touchch it comortably)
    when I measured the volt across the coil it was 3 volts.
    which means I am supplying 1 Amp for each coil.
    Is this correct understanding? The tb6600 microstep setting I let it at 200 that means no additional microstepping by the driver.

I measured the resistance of coil A about 3 ohms. (Does this reading make sense as it is very small) while coil B is 3.2 ohms.

Should not both coils be exactly the same?

Any way here is my question

I read so often that stepper motors like high voltage for multiple of reasons, now If the motor resistance is fixed how can I supply high voltage to the motor without exceeding the rated current? I can not cheat ohms law.

So why people talk about supplying 80 or 48 volt to the stepper motor? How that can be done without exceeding the current limit of the motor?

Best reagards

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: need some advise regarding the voltage supplied to a small stepper motor

Your driver TB6600 is supplied with a higher than 3 volts voltage.
    The driver will supply that voltage to the coil of the motor until it reaches the setup current. The higher the voltage, the faster it reaches the setup current. At that moment it will switch of. The current go's down, and it will switch on again until the setup current is reached. this continues.
    This is because it's a coil in the motor, not just a resistor. In a ideal coil the current increases linear with the time.
    If your motor is comfortably warm after 5 to 10 minutes running, the current is fine.
    Normally the setup current is for one coil

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: need some advise regarding the voltage supplied to a small stepper motor

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipTheArab View Post

Any way here is my question

I read so often that stepper motors like high voltage for multiple of reasons, now If the motor resistance is fixed how can I supply high voltage to the motor without exceeding the rated current? I can not cheat ohms law.

So why people talk about supplying 80 or 48 volt to the stepper motor? How that can be done without exceeding the current limit of the motor?

Best reagards
    You supply voltage to the driver not the motor.
    The higher the voltage to the driver, the more velocity you get. Makes the motors hold torque better at higher speed.
    This is demonstrated when you look at torque curves.

I have 4A motors with dm860 drivers running at 60v.
    I can exceed 3000mm/min on a 5mm pitch ballscrew.
    On 36v it almost halved.
    If it heats up too much you lower the current setting until you're happy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    The higher the voltage to the driver, the more velocity you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    The driver will supply that voltage to the coil of the motor until it reaches the setup current. The higher the voltage, the faster it reaches the setup current.
    I can not thank you both enough

So the response time of the system improves with a high rated driver.

Thank you all