New Machine Build Stepper Controller Issue

Thread: Stepper Controller Issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper Controller Issue

Hello. This is my first post on this forum. I recently built my first CNC for routing wood. I am working on getting the electronics side working. It uses the Pokeys57 controller board, (2) cloudray/leadshine/(insert preferred company here) DM542 3A driver, (1) cloudray/leadshine/(insert preferred company here) DM556 6A driver, (2) NEMA 24 motors (2.8A in parallel), and (1) Nema 34 motor (5.8A in parallel). The Nema 34 is on what I am calling the X-Axis (longest dimension on my bed ~44") and this is working fine. I need to get the limit switches/homing figured out, but getting there. The first Nema 24 is on what I am calling the Y-Axis (second longest dimension on my bed ~24") and this is working fine. The second Nema 24 motor is on the Z-Axis (third dimension on my bed ~5" of travel give or take), which I am having the issue. From doing some research, it appears there are many drivers in this price range that are very likely the same, just with a different case. Anyway, this second motor/driver on the Z-Axis is wired identically to the Y-Axis (with three connections DIR+, Pulse+, GND, +5V from the controller, plus dedicated power and ground for the motors). Upon first power on, the Pokeys57 powers up as it should with appropriate LEDs, the X-Axis powers on as it should, and the Y-Axis powers on. The X and Y axis drivers illuminate the solid green LED and the motors snap to attention and can be jogged. The Z-Axis driver flashes the green LED and no snapping on the motor. I have discovered that if I unscrew each wire individually (meaning DIR+, Pulse+, GND, +5V) on the driver, nothing changes. However, if I unplug the jumper block from the driver or unplug the connector for the Pokeys57 and plug back in the green LED illuminates and the motor snaps to attention and can be jogged. This probably isn't the best idea to do live, but it is what I have found thus far. I have tried putting +5V on the Enable+ and GND on Enable- with no change. All three motors are wired in Bi-Polar Parallel. I have been fighting a terrible resonance issue on the Z-Axis (I think it is solved now, but had to slow velocity and acceleration way down). Is this a bad driver or maybe a setting on the Pokeys57? I can post a schematic of the setup later, if that helps with the diagnosis.

Thanks.