Need Help! Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers

Thread: Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers

When I place a multimeter inline from supply (40v) to load (along positive terminal) I can measure 0.25A draw while stationary and when i initiate a move it spikes up to 1.0A. I believe this is causing my drivers to shut down randomly after a minute or two of usage due to overcurrent or overheat protection.

My questions are:
    1. If I increase the voltage output on the power supply, do I need to lower the stepper amp setting to reach the same total wattage? (i.e. 12v x 3.0A = 36w to 24v x 1.5A = 36w).
    2. Are stepper drivers always supposed to be set at the steppers rated amperage regardless of voltage? (i.e. 3.0A setting for 3.0A stepper regardless of 24v or 36v supply).
    3. Should my drivers shut down if I supply more voltage within their rated specs (9-42VDC) at an amperage it's rated for (3.0A) or does this indicate a faulty/crappy driver?
    4. Would you be so kind as to post your power supply output, driver amp setting and stepper voltage/amp rating for reference? (i.e. 36v supply to 3.0A driver to 4.8v/3.0A stepper).

For reference:
    The drivers are TB6600 rated 9-42VDC and up to 4.0A.
    The steppers are 23HS9430, rated 4.8v at 3.0A.

If I lower the amperage the drivers take longer to shut down. When lowered even further they don't shut down but the machine lacks torque and stalls at minimal speed.
    As it is, the machine is unusable in it's current state so any insight or advice would be helpful.
    Please feel free to answer one or all questions! Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by themightyx; 09-12-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers

1. No, the current settings stay the same no matter what the input voltage is.
    2. Correct. If you tell the driver your motor is 3A, it will limit the current to 3A.
    3. The TB6600 chip does not have any overvoltage detection/protection, it just blows up if the voltage is grossly exceeded. It does have overheating protection.
    4. If the motor is rated at 3A, most people just set their driver to 3A (or the closest lower value), end of story.

You need to figure out why exactly your driver shuts down. If it's overheating (most likely), it needs a heatsink or a better thermal interface between the TB6600 chip and the case.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers

Driver shutting down after a while = overheating.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    1. No, the current settings stay the same no matter what the input voltage is.
    2. Correct. If you tell the driver your motor is 3A, it will limit the current to 3A.
    3. The TB6600 chip does not have any overvoltage detection/protection, it just blows up if the voltage is grossly exceeded. It does have overheating protection.
    4. If the motor is rated at 3A, most people just set their driver to 3A (or the closest lower value), end of story.

You need to figure out why exactly your driver shuts down. If it's overheating (most likely), it needs a heatsink or a better thermal interface between the TB6600 chip and the case.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer all of those questions!
    That really helps narrow it down. If they are rated for 4.0A then they definitely shouldn't be overheating at 3.0A, at 1:00am, in a cold garage.
    I may take a peak inside these to see if the heatsinks even exist. Although it sounds like if I get better/different drivers they can be switched out with minimal work required.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Driver shutting down after a while = overheating.

Cheers
    Roger
    Driver shutting down after a while that's pushing less than 75% of it's rated capacity = crap driver.

But thanks for the info.
    I'm going to open one up and see what's going on inside.

Downloads
    Uploads

Opened them up. Looks like they aren't TB6600 at all. Good old chinese false advertising.

Chip is Toshiba TB67S109AFTG
    They actually have 50v caps on the board. Weird that they are sold as max 42vdc. I also see them advertised for 48v and 50v max in different listings.

Debating whether to take a chance on higher voltage steppers or upgrade these ones.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers-boardtop-jpg   Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers-boardbottom-jpg   Can someone clarify driver amp settings based on supply voltage? TB6600 drivers-chipcloseup-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

They actually have 50v caps on the board. Weird that they are sold as max 42vdc.
    Not at all.
    You have to look at what voltage ranges are available. From memory, which may be faulty, the next voltage level below 50 V may be 36 V.
    Also, when braking, there may be some back EMF pushing the rail a bit higher.

Cheers
    Roger