Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

  1. #1

    Cool Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Hello, everyone.

    I hope everyone is in good health and being safe out there


    Can some one look over my UCCNC Setting for Stepper motor on AXIS-X,-Y,-Z

    I hive upgrade my 6040Z from the small stepper motor is had, To LONGSMotor & Stepper Driver.
    So the Stepper Motor i got:

    Nema 23, 425oz, 3A, 1.8deg/step 23HS9404B dual shaft.

    Stepper motor driver:
    DM542A, PEAK 4.2A, 128 micsteps

    Power Supply:
    3X- MEAN WELL Single Output Switchable Power Supply, 349.2W 36V 9.7A - LRS-350-36

    The DIP switch setting on stepper drive are below:

    SW1 SW2 SW3 SW4 Peak/RMS
    Off ON OFF OFF 3.32 / 2.36

    SW5 SW6 SW7 SW8 Pulse/rev
    OFF ON ON OFF 2000

    The previous setting factory default that came fron LONGS where:
    Peak/RMS Pulse/rev 2.84 / 2.03 1600
    With these setting the motor where moving rough, Instead of smooth.

    The picture's below showing AXIS setting from uccnc, Want to make sure that the motor's are
    tuuned correctly.

    Thanks

    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-untitled-jpg   Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-untitled2-jpg   Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-untitled3-jpg  


  2. #2
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    35145
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    If the motors are rated 3 amps, you want to set the current to 3 amps or less, not 3.2 amps.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  3. #3

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If the motors are rated 3 amps, you want to set the current to 3 amps or less, not 3.2 amps.
    thanks,

    so instead of 3.32/2.36 peak/rms, Set to 2.84/2.03 peak/rms to be safe, this setting close to 3A (Peak=RMS X1.4) if my calculation is right, This is about 2.978A
    DC-36v @ 10A (2.97A @ 36v = 106.92watts Per Motor



  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Oakland CA USA
    Posts
    5151
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    What's the inductance on those motors? Their performance really depends on that, especially at the top of the speed range. It's a rare 23-frame stepper that runs really well on 36 volts; most have too much inductance for that.

    Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/


  5. #5

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What's the inductance on those motors? Their performance really depends on that, especially at the top of the speed range. It's a rare 23-frame stepper that runs really well on 36 volts; most have too much inductance for that.
    That's the way they came from LONGSMotor, they sold them with 36v power supply. when i email they support team.( they stated, that's configurtion for those stepper drive and Motor's each driver and moter use it own power supply 36v @ 9.7A. They also said NOT USE ONE power supply to Drive all three motor&Drive, because One Drive and Motor draw between 6A to 7A total. if you want to use one power supply to drive all 3 motors & driver you need a power supply rate 48v @ 20A something like this https://www.amazon.com/Rail-Power-Su...809620&sr=8-28) This is they recommendation.



  6. #6

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    What's the inductance on those motors? Their performance really depends on that, especially at the top of the speed range. It's a rare 23-frame stepper that runs really well on 36 volts; most have too much inductance for that.
    Sorry, i wasn't paying attention to the question at first. here's what i know so far about these motor's.

    NEMA 23 Stepper Motor
    Model: 23HS9430B
    Step angel:18°
    Motor Length:115mm
    Rate Voltage:6.4V
    Rate Current:3A
    Phase Resistance:2.1?
    Phase Inductance:9mH <-----------
    Holding Torque:425oz.in
    Lead Wire No.:4
    Rotor Inertia:0.89kg.cm²
    Motor Weight:1.55kg

    Stepper motor driver DM542A
    Input voltage:18-50VDC
    Input current:<4A
    Output current:1.0A~4.2A
    Consumption:80W
    Internal Insurance:6A
    Peak 4.2A, 128 micsteps

    The power supply that came with them was not able to handle the three motors and the drivers at the same time, so I when got three low profile 36v@9.7A for one driver+motor. The previous power supply was not enough power to drive all three I kept losing steps and jamming and power supply overheating.



  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Oakland CA USA
    Posts
    5151
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    That's a lot of inductance. There's a formula for calculating the optimum voltage you need to supply to a motor of a given inductance, in order for it to run best at top speed. Multiply the square root of the inductance (in this case, 3) by 32; that gives you 96VDC. If your power supply gave your motors 96 volts of DC power each, they would run much better at the peak speed they're capable of. 96v times 21 amps (3 times 7 amps) assuming all three motors were drawing peak power) gives you 2016 watts, which you probably won't ever need, but is a point of reference nonetheless. It's more important to find drivers that can handle all the voltage your motors require, which won't be easy to do economically. You'd be better off swapping the motors for ones that have a lot less inductance.

    Andrew Werby
    https://computersculpture.com/


  8. #8

    Smile Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    That's a lot of inductance. There's a formula for calculating the optimum voltage you need to supply to a motor of a given inductance, in order for it to run best at top speed. Multiply the square root of the inductance (in this case, 3) by 32; that gives you 96VDC. If your power supply gave your motors 96 volts of DC power each, they would run much better at the peak speed they're capable of. 96v times 21 amps (3 times 7 amps) assuming all three motors were drawing peak power) gives you 2016 watts, which you probably won't ever need, but is a point of reference nonetheless. It's more important to find drivers that can handle all the voltage your motors require, which won't be easy to do economically. You'd be better off swapping the motors for ones that have a lot less inductance.
    The reason I change to these motors, because the previous motors that came with the 6040 was Half the size of these guys, they had less torque power @ 24v supply. It was recommended if I’m going to cut aluminum to get stronger stepper motors with a high torque and Driver to run them.
    i was thinking to change the Stepper Driver to better Driver like., DM860T STEPPERONLINE CNC Digital Stepper Motor Driver 2.4-7.2A 18-80VAC. at the mean time i hive to work with i hive now.

    I’ll be cutting The following materials.
    Acrylic hard plastic
    Aluminum
    Small piece of metal

    What I need now is help to fine-tune them. So can run correctly.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-img_0616-jpg   Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-img_0618-jpg  


  9. #9

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by akihiko View Post
    The reason I change to these motors, because the previous motors that came with the 6040 was Half the size of these guys, they had less torque power @ 24v supply. It was recommended if I’m going to cut aluminum to get stronger stepper motors with a high torque and Driver to run them.
    i was thinking to change the Stepper Driver to better Driver like., DM860T STEPPERONLINE CNC Digital Stepper Motor Driver 2.4-7.2A 18-80VAC. at the mean time i hive to work with i hive now.

    I’ll be cutting The following materials.
    Acrylic hard plastic
    Aluminum
    Small piece of metal

    What I need now is help to fine-tune them. So can run correctly.
    check out what doing when its cutting,





  10. #10
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    35145
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    I don't see what's wrong from the video?

    There's really nothing to "tune" with steppers. You just choose your microstep settings, velocity, and acceleration.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  11. #11

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I don't see what's wrong from the video?

    There's really nothing to "tune" with steppers. You just choose your microstep settings, velocity, and acceleration.
    You dont hear the stepper whining. Also just about around the third cut it start to hesitate. And them it correct it self.

    ill will upload another video so can hear and see closer.

    DIP SW on the driver are set to 2.84/2.03 @ 1600.

    Now on UCCNC software under axis setting X,Y,Z all set to

    Step per Unit =1600
    Valocity(Units/min) = 350
    Acceleration(Units/s^2) = 100
    Comp.Acceleration(Units/s^2) = 240

    So would you say correct?



  12. #12
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    35145
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Do you have backlash compensation enabled?

    Are the units in inches? If so, reduce acceleration to 50, and see if it works better.

    Steppers make a lot of noises. That's normal.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    508
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    I've had good results with those drivers and a 48 V power supply.
    I run them at 20x microstepping (5000 pulses per rev)
    But i always run steppers with a reduction drive which is probably required to get rid of the rough motion.

    Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au


  14. #14

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Do you have backlash compensation enabled?

    Are the units in inches? If so, reduce acceleration to 50, and see if it works better.

    Steppers make a lot of noises. That's normal.
    it set MM
    and YES backlash dis-enable

    Here is pics my setting in UCCNC AXIS SETUP.

    By way this is first time leaning CNC. Im leaning as go alone...

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-xyz-setting-jpg  


  15. #15
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    35145
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    I think your steps/unit are wrong. What is the pitch of the screws? IF you have 5mm pitch screws, then the steps/unit would be 1600/5, or 320.

    If the units are mm, then the acceleration is fine, and could maybe be even faster.
    350mm/min is very slow, and should probably be set to 3000 or more.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  16. #16

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I think your steps/unit are wrong. What is the pitch of the screws? IF you have 5mm pitch screws, then the steps/unit would be 1600/5, or 320.

    If the units are mm, then the acceleration is fine, and could maybe be even faster.
    350mm/min is very slow, and should probably be set to 3000 or more.
    im sorry didn't understand -> (What is the pitch of the screws?) what screws?


    so her is the video: pay attention @ 1:10 first run, And second run @ 4:11

    Even though the cut came out clean. I'm just concerned about what happen during the cut.



    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-5-jpg   Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-4-jpg   Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-3-jpg   Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-2-jpg  

    Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-1-jpg   Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-6-jpg  


  17. #17
    Community Moderator ger21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Shelby Township
    Posts
    35145
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    The ballscrew pitch. Is the machine driven by ballscrews, or does it use belt or rack and pinion. You need to use the gear ratio when entering the steps/unit.

    If the machine is not losing position, I'd say that the "stuttering" you are seeing is from the controller. That's not a stepper issue.

    Gerry

    UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

    Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

    JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)


  18. #18

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The ballscrew pitch. Is the machine driven by ballscrews, or does it use belt or rack and pinion. You need to use the gear ratio when entering the steps/unit.

    If the machine is not losing position, I'd say that the "stuttering" you are seeing is from the controller. That's not a stepper issue.
    X axis 1605 ballscrew
    Y axis 1605 ballscrew
    Z axis 1605 ballscrew



  19. #19

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Quote Originally Posted by akihiko View Post
    X axis 1605 ballscrew
    Y axis 1605 ballscrew
    Z axis 1605 ballscrew

    19" = X = 482.7mm

    29.5" = Y = 647.7mm

    5.5" = Z =139.7mm


    So just find out that my 6040Z it's lettle different from other 6040 them other 6040z. The X Axis it's wider. Where other it about 15.4''
    My measurement for X-Axis are 19'' = 482.6mm.

    Don't no if it make a different. the extra 0.858'' = 21.80mm

    This picture sample of my 6040 measurements

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z-measure-6040-png  


  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    U. S. A.
    Posts
    143
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Help with tuning Stepper motor& Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

    Pitch in metric is expressed by the amount of linear movement in 1 revolution of the screw. Example: one turn of the screw moves your axis 5 mm, so the pitch of the screw is 5 mm.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z

Help with tuning Stepper motor&amp; Drive on UCCNC AXIS X,Y,Z