No movement in y axis

Thread: No movement in y axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Default No movement in y axis

I have a small 3040z router. I just got home and setup and will jog in x and z but y no motion but shows movement on the DRO of mach3 but that's all. I did switch over the x cable and it will drive the y so I think my stepper motor is fine and went over the setup in mach 3 everything seems to setup right in the ports and pins . I would love if anyone had any suggestions on where to check next is there away to test the drives in the control box all wires seems clean and proper connection also the drives seem to be sending power to the motor just not driving it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No movement in y axis

So the x and z work fine, and the x drive will move the Y motor.
    So it sounds like the Y drive or the Y drive wiring is at fault.

You could hook the Y drive output to the X drive motor as a test.

Assuming that they are both the same size and voltages being used.

If you have an ohm meter you could test each wire for opens and shorts to ground or other wires.

If you have an Oscilloscope you could monitor the X pulses and see what is normal. Maybe even a voltmeter- put it on AC volts and get a rough idea during a movement if the speed is steady for a second or two. Then compare the readings between the X and Y drive signals. That would be my best guess.

Where did you get your Mach 3 software?

I am just considering starting up this hobby but I have more questions than answers- I used to be an electronics technician for Honeywell Avionics. Before that it was Texas Instruments Field Service.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: No movement in y axis

Thanks for advice I will look more into this. The software was on the machine when I bought used but it was never really used the guy who bought had it sitting in his office for a years and not using it.