Decent Chinese stepper motor packages?

Thread: Decent Chinese stepper motor packages?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Decent Chinese stepper motor packages?

Hi all,
    I’ve got a 6040z that’s served me quite well for 4 years. However, I’m limited to about 1100mm/min, and the motors are starting to get very hot on my during regular jobs.

Looking on eBay, there are quite a few 3 axis motor kits available. Breakout board, power etc

Has anyone upgraded the motors on there 6040, and if so (most importantly) where did you get the steppers? Hesitant to stop $2-300 on new motors without someone on here verifying/recommending!

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Decent Chinese stepper motor packages?

Hi,
    all stepper lose speed the faster they go. The winding inductance is the principle determinant as to how bad the loss of torque is, the
    lower the inductance the better.

In 23/24 size motors look for 1-2mH, 1mH preferred and reject anything over 2mH.
    In 34 size look for 2-4mH, 2mH preferred and reject anything over 4mH.

Run the steppers on the highest voltage driver you can find. At the current time 80VDC is the practical maximum. A linear (transformer/rectifier/capacitor) supply
    is preferred over cheaper switchmode supplies.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

https://www.antekinc.com/ps-10n80-10...-power-supply/

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello.

May I suggest you to consider using independent drives? Of couse there will be a difference in price but in my opinion it is worth the effort.

My clients have machines using independent drives and some are in the 10 year range of trouble free operation.

To tell the thuth I have never considered using combo cards or whatever name they have.

While I might be proven wrong I think independent drives give you a broader choice for fine tuning and the power dissipation is better.

By the way, your motors overheating might be due to excess current other than overloading. Have you tried to lower the current limit? I was taught to adjust the drives for the minimum possible current that allow the motor to work without loosing steps. This far that has worked for me.

Best regards.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by WoodLover View Post
    Hi all,
    I’ve got a 6040z that’s served me quite well for 4 years. However, I’m limited to about 1100mm/min, and the motors are starting to get very hot on my during regular jobs.

Looking on eBay, there are quite a few 3 axis motor kits available. Breakout board, power etc

Has anyone upgraded the motors on there 6040, and if so (most importantly) where did you get the steppers? Hesitant to stop $2-300 on new motors without someone on here verifying/recommending!

Thanks!
    If you have power supplies already then forget the kits and buy them in seperates. This allows you to really shop around.
    I have since replaced the 34 size 1090oz/in (7nm) motors on my mill. I was limiting at 2000mm/min and had noise and vibration.
    I've kept my 60v supplies and drivers and got some 24 size 566oz/in (4nm) running from them.

It is now way faster, near silent and a lot smoother. I've took it to 3000mm/min so far with no problems.
    I reckon the lower Inductance was one key factor in this change.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    If you have power supplies already then forget the kits and buy them in seperates. This allows you to really shop around.
    I have since replaced the 34 size 1090oz/in (7nm) motors on my mill. I was limiting at 2000mm/min and had noise and vibration.
    I've kept my 60v supplies and drivers and got some 24 size 566oz/in (4nm) running from them.

It is now way faster, near silent and a lot smoother. I've took it to 3000mm/min so far with no problems.
    I reckon the lower Inductance was one key factor in this change.
    Here is the setup I have. I’m actually not sure what voltage my unit is. I’m guessing that if I hook new motors on them, the voltage still won’t be enough? (Based only on other comments/feedback I’ve received)

But I’m just spitballing. I have no idea. I’d consider just purchasing a new “plug and play” system, and figure out another way to power my spindle, and get rid of this box completely.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Decent Chinese stepper motor packages?-d5051ab1-512b-4a27-a851-a7f126da53e8-jpeg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BBMNet View Post
    Hello.

May I suggest you to consider using independent drives? Of couse there will be a difference in price but in my opinion it is worth the effort.

My clients have machines using independent drives and some are in the 10 year range of trouble free operation.

To tell the thuth I have never considered using combo cards or whatever name they have.

While I might be proven wrong I think independent drives give you a broader choice for fine tuning and the power dissipation is better.

By the way, your motors overheating might be due to excess current other than overloading. Have you tried to lower the current limit? I was taught to adjust the drives for the minimum possible current that allow the motor to work without loosing steps. This far that has worked for me.

Best regards.
    Better use AC servo motors and AC servo drivers, with absolute encoders, there will be no losing step problems any more.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html