POWER SUPPLY QUESTION FOR NEMA 23 3Nm. (425 oz.in)

Thread: POWER SUPPLY QUESTION FOR NEMA 23 3Nm. (425 oz.in)

Default POWER SUPPLY QUESTION FOR NEMA 23 3Nm. (425 oz.in)

NEMA23 57BYGH8930 3Nm (425 oz.in)
    High Torque Hybrid Stepping Motor
    1.8 Degree Step Angle (200 Steps/revolution)
    Current Rating 3 Amp/Coil
    Bipolar Stepper Motor Drives
    Voltage Rating 8.4 V
    4 wires Red, Blue, Yellow and Green

Hello Gents

I just completed my first own design CNC router build. It has SBR type linear rails and SBR type ball screws on all 3 axis`s. Two stepper motors will be driving the Y-axis and one on the Z and X axis. Each stepper motor has its own driver.

The above mention stepper motor type, was purchased by me, back in 2014 and are brand new. This was going to be used to convert a X2 milling machine to CNC. Scrapped that project.

The Supplier supplied a 36 VDC 350W 10 Amp power supply, with these stepper motors and FMD2740A stepper motor drivers. These drivers are suitable for driving small and medium-sized phase current is less than 4 A 2-phase or 4 A-phase hybrid stepping motor. Voltage rating of these drivers is 12 to 50 VDC. Maximum drive current is 4 Amp.Recommend the user to use 24 V - 32 V DC Supply. This info was taken from the specs sheet.

The FMD2740A drivers seem to be old technology and I can`t find much info about them?

My previous router kit build, was supplied with WANTAI DQ542MA (4.2 Amp) and the required voltage supply, was 18 VDC -50 VDC. These drivers really performed well, with the Nema 23 smaller rating stepper motors.

Now, I have a difficult question to answer.

(1) Should I rather use a 36 VDC 350W 9.7 Amp power supply or a 48 VDC 400W 8 Amp power supply?

(2) There will be 4 X DQ542MA (4.2 A) stepper drivers, connected to the power supply.

(3) I have a 4th axis unit to use on this router and also an extra DQ542MA (4.2 A) stepper driver.

So it will be a total of 5 DQ542MA drivers, connected to the PSU, but only 4 will be used during the normal operation of a 3-axis machine.

I am new to this sort of hobby and don`t know much about the electronic side of it.

My logic tells me that the 48 VDC power supply would be better to use, with the DQ542MA stepper drivers? I could be wrong and am requesting help from you more experienced people.

Lastly, the Nema 23 (3Nm/425 oz.in) stepper motors have dual 8 mm diameter shafts and a handle/hand wheel may be fitted to the rear shaft.

The code number of these stepper motors is 57BYGH8930 and I found very little info about them. Just a 2014 label underneath the part code.

Do you agree about using a bigger PSU?

Regards

Craig