TB6600 lock the motor, but screaming noise is produced (video)

Thread: TB6600 lock the motor, but screaming noise is produced (video)

Default TB6600 lock the motor, but screaming noise is produced (video)

Two days ago everything was perfect, now when I tried to turn on, there is a screaming noise, the motor is locked, but the red lamp on a driver appears. I don't have a clue what is happening? Is it a problem with the driver or the motor?

Here is the video https://vimeo.com/391664186

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TB6600 lock the motor, but screaming noise is produced (video)

The easiest way to troubleshoot the problem is to connect a known good motor to that driver. (The other way around is not recommended because you could kill another driver with a bad motor or bad wiring).

Something weird going on.. one of the drivers work for all motors, so it seems that a problem is with drivers. Though, don't know what happened over there.. Other three drivers seem broken, turning the red lamp when I just tried to pull down the DIP switch.

Last edited by markokaz; 02-15-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it is possible that 3 drivers have died (from overvoltage, for instance). Did anything unusual happen before the drivers stopped working?

Not sure if flipping a DIP switch under power is the best way to handle the drivers though.

It is not indeed, but the situation requires to see a response. Probably they fried but the problem is I don't know how and when, since nothing like that happens when I was there. Maybe there are some dwarfs in the basement. I will buy a new driver to try..

Downloads
    Uploads

It is not particularly unusual for the TB6560 chips to die from overvoltage or from a short in the motor wiring. What kind of power supply are you using for the drivers?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    those Toshiba TB6560 IC's are very prove to failing. If you have the budget replace them with Gecko drivers, Gecko are the gold standard when it comes to reliability.

You could, if you have de-soldering/ soldering iron replace the IC's.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

TB6560s don't die without a good reason - problem is, there are plenty of those reasons in the environment of Chinese engineering and DIY assembly. Still, the TB6560 board I'm using now has been working fine for 7 years.

As for replacing the chips, for a TB6600 driver it's hardly worth it. The chips are sold separately for roughly the same money as complete drivers.

In that case, it is far useful to buy new... For the power supply, I use mean-well 24v-350w. Maybe is the power supply, but tomorrow I will have a multimeter to check voltage. Literally, I left everything working, come after two days back, tried to switch on, and noise appears. I already ordered one DM542 to start troubleshooting.

Downloads
    Uploads

I,
    steppers like all motors produce a back-emf when decelerating, if an over voltage event caused the failures then I would expect it to happen
    as the axis motors are stopping, particularly a crash stop. The Toshiba IC's are vulnerable to over voltage damage.

Craig

I bought a new set of TB6600, but still can't move anyone of four motors. Those drivers sent to me by Bulkman look like a toy in comparison to the same TB6600 I brought here, completely different architecture. I can post pictures if you are interested....

The motors produce the pitch noise and unresponsible to signal from the board, but at the same time estop works. You can find the voltage and current measurements.. Any idea how to proceed with troubleshooting before I went and by new nema? Bloody bulkman...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TB6600 lock the motor, but screaming noise is produced (video)-86757067_10157925353072488_423982859175329792_o-jpg   TB6600 lock the motor, but screaming noise is produced (video)-87181348_10157925350797488_8159024423022624768_o-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Measuring high frequency driver output with a meter is pretty much meaningless. Are you sure you are getting proper STEP/DIR signals from the board? Those signals you can somewhat see with a meter.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    Measuring high frequency driver output with a meter is pretty much meaningless. Are you sure you are getting proper STEP/DIR signals from the board? Those signals you can somewhat see with a meter.
    I dont know how to be sure about that, can you explain me?

Downloads
    Uploads

Put a voltmeter on the STEP signal. You should see the voltage going up from zero to a few volts when the controller is moving the axis.

Now when I localized the problem, the reason why o-scope didn't catch impulses could be in nvum board or software. Is there any idea how to resolve this, apart buying new controller? Eventually, I will go and get the new one, but I am confused because mach reacts on imputs signals properly..

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Is there any idea how to resolve this, apart buying new controller?
    Probably not, NVUM is among those Chinese manufacturers who do very little to support their customers.

If you want a controller that works as advertised and extensively supported by the manufacturer look to the Ethernet SmoothStepper by Warp9TD.

Avoid all cheap Chinese controller like the plague!

Craig

Last edited by joeavaerage; 02-21-2020 at 09:51 PM.