Need help as usual with motors

Thread: Need help as usual with motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help as usual with motors

So I just got all new controllers and new motors. the motors are 425 oz each nema 23 that use 4.2 amps. The controllers are selectable and I have them set on 4.2A and each 2 out of 4 are connected to a 48 v power supply. So yes, two power supplies. So I set the motor tuning at 2000mm per min with accelartion of 200. If you run any motor x,y,z (y has 2 motors) it seems fine. The motors sound great and move very nice.

But, when I run a test g code and everything starts running at once, I start losing steps and the motors start making noise.

Any ideas ????? Thanks Steven

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help as usual with motors

Hi,
    I think you are going to have to try either lower axis speeds and/or accelerations. Trying to go too fast is the most famous and common reason for steppers
    to lose steps. Try 1000 mm/min and 100mm/sec2. Then try your code again. If it works slowly start upping the speed until you find a limit
    and back off 25%. Same with acceleration. Acceleration and speed are sort of related. As it turns out speed is not the most important. Having a
    machine of highest possible acceleration results in the best toolpath following. When you are tuning favor acceleration over speed.

You did not say what inductance your steppers are. There are many steppers of 425 oz.in torque but many of them have high inductance and so start losing
    steps at a few hundred rpm. Sellers love first time buyers because they don't know about inductance.

For 23/24 size steppers look for 1mH inductance if poss but certainly less than 2mH. For 34 size look for 2mH but certainly less than 4mH.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

So I have the steppers set on 1/2 step. And the screw move 8mm for 1 complete turn. So based on that the are 180 degree motors. It is 200 steps / 8mm = 25 * 1/2 step = 50 steps per mm. I will set it at 1000 with 100mm/sec2, which means the motors will turn at 125 revolutions per minute. Hopefully that works. If there is anything else you can suggest, let me know. I am using mach3 to run the machine. Thanks Steven