Newbie Which power supply should I get and which motor configuration is best?

Thread: Which power supply should I get and which motor configuration is best?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Which power supply should I get and which motor configuration is best?

Hi, I have 3 questions:

1) Which power supply should I get for the following:

4 Nema 24 566oz motors (model: 24HS39-3008D). They have 8 wires and can be connected as either:
    - Bipolar Serial (rated current: 2.12A, phase resistance: 2.8ohms, Inductance: 12.0mH +/- 20% at 1KHz).
    - Bipolar Parallel (rated current: 4.24A, phase resistance: 0.7ohms, Inductance: 3.0mH +/- 20% at 1KHz).
    - Unipolar (rated current: 3.0A, phase resistance: 1.4ohms, Inductance: 3.0mH +/- 20% at 1KHz).

4 Digital Stepper Drivers DM556S (Peak: 5.6A, RMS: 4.0A, 20-50v)

2) What is the best configuration (Bipolar Serial, Bipolar Parallel or Unipolar)?

3) What is the best voltage to feed the motors?

Notes:
    I am new to this, so thank you in advance for your help, advice and patience.
    I am also French, so I apologies in advance for potential writing mistakes.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which power supply should I get and which motor configuration is best?

Hi,
    you should get the highest voltage power supply your drivers can handle, looks like 50V, shame they couldn't handle 80V.
    The higher the voltage the faster the steppers will go before losing steps.

Bipolar Parallel is by far and away the best combination for maximum thrust and highest possible speeds.

The higher the voltage and the lower the inductance the faster the steppers will go. At 3mH you can expect the rated torque (566 oz.in) to drop to about 15% (85 oz.in)
    at 1000 rpm with a 50V supply. A 1mH motor and an 80V supply a stepper would retain 45-50% of its rated torque at 1000 rpm and would still be producing
    useful torque at 2000 rpm whereas yours will have stalled at 2000 rpm.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which power supply should I get and which motor configuration is best?

Thank you Craig for your reply, very appreciated!