Another power supply size question - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another power supply size question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Another power supply size question

Hi Peter
    I was just replying to "remember to correctly match the amps of the driver to the motor" ? The motor driver kit mentioned in my original post should have a matching driver for the supplied motor. Correct me if i'm wrong. I don't mean to pedantic. The motor is rated at 5.8 amps and the driver rated at 8amps so should be an ok match.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Andrew - Seems this driver is configurable via software supplied not dips. So the current can be limited. But most of the functions also seem to be on auto as its a sophisticated unit. I'd start with everything on auto and only fiddle if needed. I have not used this type of driver before but I'm considering it for my next machine... Cheers Peter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another power supply size  question-current-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok Thanks Peter

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Andrew - Seems this driver is configurable via software supplied not dips. So the current can be limited. But most of the functions also seem to be on auto as its a sophisticated unit. I'd start with everything on auto and only fiddle if needed. I have not used this type of driver before but I'm considering it for my next machine... Cheers Peter
    I'll be interested to see where the software is to be found! or maybe they use the leadshine software?
    Cheers
    Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't worry at all about the current difference between motor and driver, it seems to me to be a good match.

I am under the assumption the current is set automatic on these closed loop and basically send what the motor asks for.
    So say your motors are 5A and the driver 8A. Looking at this page about the correlation between peak & rms:
    https://www.amci.com/industrial-auto...r-peak-current
    It shows the more microstepping you use, the higher your current needs to be?

I don't know much but this explains to me now why my cheap 425oz Nema23's on my Sieg seemed to have more torque the lower my microstepping was set. My motors are 4.2A and drivers are 4.2A peak. So if I'm microstepping above 1/2 it's telling me my peak should be set to 4.2A x 1.414 which is 5.93A. I can't reach that so it tells me that average 'kits' are a bit junk! and why my 23 performance is lacking. Especially only running 36v. That's at least 1/4 power loss on V and another 1/4 loss on A.

I'm changing my 23's over to 60v and 7A drivers soon.

I still say the 45v area is optimal for your closed loops.
    When I future upgrade my 25LV machine I'll get similar closed loop motors but go 80Vac drivers instead. Then power from a 2x35vac secondaries toroidal wired in series to give me 70v.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Daz
    Food for thought.
    cheers
    Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Another power supply size question

I have these same motors and drivers and am working on an upgrade from my current open-loop steppers. I have been reading and debating the same question: 36V or 48V? So this thread is very timely for me.
    Thanks!

Last edited by GEBrown; 09-30-2019 at 01:30 PM. Reason: clarify grammar

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, have you read the torque curve of the stepper motor, it's useful. https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/do...rque_Curve.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by diylover View Post
    Hi, have you read the torque curve of the stepper motor, it's useful. https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/do...rque_Curve.pdf
    Yes

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12