cw8060 – works in one direction, not the other direction

Thread: cw8060 – works in one direction, not the other direction

Downloads
    Uploads

Default cw8060 – works in one direction, not the other direction

Recently, we experienced the y-axis moving correctly in one direction, but not the correct distance in the other direction. This difference was significant (about half the distance). We tracked the problem back to the CW8060 electronic driver unit. Simply replaced the driver unit and everything has work great since. A month later, experienced the same issue with the z-axis. Again, by process of elimination, we replaced the CW8060 and the problem immediately went away.

It seems very odd that we would have two problems with axis moving correctly in one direction and not the other direction -- and to track the problem to the cw8060 driver units. These drivers have been working great for a long time.

Has anyone experience this problem before with cw8060 drivers? Is there a reason why cw8060 drivers suddenly work in one direction, but not in the other direction?

Thanks for your help.
    Mike

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cw8060 – works in one direction, not the other direction

Quote Originally Posted by mikefalkner View Post
    Is there a reason why cw8060 drivers suddenly work in one direction, but not in the other direction?
    The first suspect that comes to mind is the DIR signal. It could be marginal (in terms of levels, timing or noise) coming out of your controller. Or it could be a problem with the CW8060 itself - again, something to do with the DIR signal input.

Could you see the faulty axis visibly lose steps or move in a wrong direction?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cw8060 – works in one direction, not the other direction

Thanks CitizenOfDream. I never thought about the input signals to the CW8060. Don't think it is noise interference between the break-out board and the CW8060. I have clear spacing between individual wires. But I never though about the between the tower computer and the break-out board. I need to look into that.

Regarding what I saw, in both cases (y-axis and a month later the z-axis) the motor turning in the correct direction but going one way, the motor would go the correct distance (say the positive direction) and in the other direction (the negative direction) the motor would visibly loose steps and only travel about half the directions it was suppose to travel. The problem was always in the same direction (negative). In one incident, I heard the motor clicking like there was a mechanical issue holding the axis back, but there wasn't. Perhaps the motor wasn't getting the correct signals or power from the CW8060 to operate properly.

In both cases, replacing the CW8060 solved the problem. Or did it? Have not had the problem since changing the CW8060. But perhaps the issue is still there and we just moved the wires. Who knows at this moment. Just seems strange to have two separate CW8060 creating the same type of problem on two separate axis within a month.

If it wasn't two CW8060 having the same malfunctions, then I need to start looking at the input signals (DIR) as you suggested. Thanks for giving me an idea.

Mike