Leadshine or other closed loop steppers

Thread: Leadshine or other closed loop steppers

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Leadshine or other closed loop steppers

Hello,

I am in the process of building a CNC machine for woodworking and some metal working.
    I purchased a Gecko G213V drive, Leadshine unregulated 60vdc PSU and a 3 Nm Nema 23 stepper for initial testing but have not used these yet.

However, things have now changed and my design has become much larger with a 700 mm x 600 mm bed
    All axis use THK linear motion slides (Ball screw / linear bearing in one unit) which are very heavy.
    The frame and gantry is made from cast 12 mm Aluminum plate.

I need to have access from the under the bed in the center so long pieces of work can clamped from under the CNC.
    So I have decided to use two motors / linear slides for the Y axis motors, one on the left side and one on the right.

My question really is this. Would it be far better to use closed loop steppers for the two Y axis motors (Or all axis) so that if steps are lost the gantry will not twist and cause problems?
    Hopefully closed loop would also give a better smoother & cooler performance all round.

I am looking at the Leadshine Closed loop ES-D808 Drivers and 3 Nm motors (x 2) for the Y axis.

This really puts up the price compared to a open loop 3 Nm setup.

Is it worth spending extra on branded Leadshine drives and motors or any other brands over lower cost unbranded units from ebay / amazon?

Any info, thoughts or opinions on this would be really good

Thanks

Paul