Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?

Thread: Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?

So I have a Nema 34 12 N.m Hybrid motor. I need to run a disconnectable wire plug at least 8 feet. And i want the connector to be all weather water tight. I found this trailer connector. 7 pins, Would these wires be safe for I think a 5.7 amp motor? Will be running it from a 70v 400watt PSU?

Thanks

Also, any other suggestions appreciated. This will be outside and want to take a precautions.

Thanks

Randy

See photo attached

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?-61dx3etr-xl-_sl1500_-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wiring advice Nema 34 12 n.m motor, 8' wires?

That is fine for the amperage, but I would not call that a weather-tite connector. There is absolutely no gasket and the grommets where the wires enter the connector are not that good. Ok for a trailer, and may be ok for your purpose, but definitely not submersible or suitable for a heavily wet environment.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with 109jb. Trailer plugs operate in a pretty nasty dirty environment and they work pretty well. The terminals are pretty much self cleaning in that they scrape against each other when plugged & unplugged. If they are greased it does help with the water resistance, I like waterproof boat trailer wheel bearing grease for this.

If possible locate the plug in a somewhat protected area, maybe with a shield over it? RTV silicone and some shrink tube works well for sealing the wire side of both the plug and socket.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I was worried about amperage. It is not going to be submerged, but being outside. If there was morning moisture or it started to rain, I wouldn't want that to be a failure point. I look into some better sealed options. I just need a connector that can unmount the arm for transport.