Newbie 2 stepper motors on 1 driver

Thread: 2 stepper motors on 1 driver

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2 stepper motors on 1 driver

Hi guys, bewb here ,I’m trying to hook up 2 stepper motors on 1 driver ,reason for this is i have flex on the x axis of my plasma Cnc gantry , only running 1 motor on the left so I want to add another 1 on the right to achieve a smooth motion ,iv got 2 nema 23 1.8 deg 3.0amp stepper motors and tb6560 stepper motor drivers
    My question is how exactly do I do this?
    Iv watched youtube videos on how to connect the wires for eg. Between the 2 motors (Red and red) together, (blue and blue) together, (green and black) together and (black and green) together, then hook up to bob ,after doin this the 1 motor is jerking and the other is running jerky
    Help will be highly appreciated.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a5bc98eff9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2 stepper motors on 1 driver

I think you need a separate driver in each stepper motor, that`s the time you can parallel the input of those drivers to be fed on the breakout board, some high end CNC machines do that if their machines utilize a twin stepper design.

Downloads
    Uploads

It can be done by simply reversing the dir connections on one. But you'll have mixed results depending on the driver, power supply and your motors and it's not recommended. 3 or 4 axis drivers and breakout boards are fairly inexpensive on ebay and amazon and you can slave one to the other in your software. Also remember that to turn the same screw one will have to turn the opposite direction of the other. Software like mach allows you set this up easily.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys thanx for the replies
    Yes i was able to do exactly that and it’s working... another question I have is in order to get both motors to run simultaneously with the same velocity ,steps per , acceleration and steps do I need to have the same drivers and same motors with same driver settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bradnicent View Post
    Hi guys thanx for the replies
    Yes i was able to do exactly that and it’s working... another question I have is in order to get both motors to run simultaneously with the same velocity ,steps per , acceleration and steps do I need to have the same drivers and same motors with same driver settings?
    Yes, both drivers and motors should be identical to be on the safe side