Newbie Stepper / Driver configuration for a HY-6040 rebuild - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stepper / Driver configuration for a HY-6040 rebuild

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Stepper / Driver configuration for a HY-6040 rebuild

M4????
    The only use for M4 bolts in such a machine is to hold the bits together while you drill for M8 bolts. Or while you weld the lot together.

Cheers
    Roger

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    M4????
    The only use for M4 bolts in such a machine is to hold the bits together while you drill for M8 bolts. Or while you weld the lot together.

Cheers
    Roger
    Exactly why I'm increasing all the M4 bolts to a larger and more course thread count. They are simply not enough to hold this machine together. As Miamjerry stated the material is only 10mm thick but you can get a much larger both than a M4 into the end of 10mm material.

The HY-6040 is a good machine that can be made great with a little work. Oh, and some new motors, new wiring and new electronics including the G540. I picked mine up pretty cheap so spending $500 on it to make it a bullet proof machine is well worth the investment.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Attached is picture of my first brace. Four M6 screws and a 1 x 1 x 3/16 aluminum angle.

I believe the four M4 screws from the bottom are, 2 in the front piece and one each in the left and right sides of the column

I can shield the wires outside the column later.

The existing boom has very oversized holes where it attaches to the column. Maybe so you can adjust the spindle mount vertically after assembly ?? Anyway I will start building the longer boom arms next..

1/2 " to center the boom with tray, plus edge distance on tray for hold downs, plus thickness of new tray containment walls. So I am thinking 1-1/2 longer boom arms. Maybe leave the bottom m4 holes undrilled, and pick those holes up after aligning the spindle mount.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stepper / Driver configuration for a HY-6040 rebuild-left-brace-1-jpg  
    Last edited by Miamijerry; 11-11-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can never have too much reinforcing.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12