Need Help! Nema42 heating up

Thread: Nema42 heating up

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Nema42 heating up

Morning People,

I have a big cnc 4 axis router machine I built.

I have a issue, I have nema 42 motors, after working for a while they start to heat up and then start to lag when they get hot.

I think it might be settings of the dip switches on the drivers, I set them as I thought it should be, the are also not stepping very smooth.

please see pictures of motor and driver attached, all 4 are doing the same.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nema42 heating up-motor-photo-png   Nema42 heating up-motor-specs-png   Nema42 heating up-driver-details-png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Nema42 heating up

Set the drive up for the right current and you should be all set. Given that steppers can get extremely hot and still be within their temperature rise specs. You would need a temperature probe of some sort to know for sure if you have a problem.

Your reference to lag isn’t really the detailed description we need. Either you are loosing steps or you aren’t. If you are loosing steps there are many possible issues. Steppers don’t really lag they either mis steps or stay in sync. A servo can lag resulting in excessive following error but that is entirely different than missing steps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Set the drive up for the right current and you should be all set. Given that steppers can get extremely hot and still be within their temperature rise specs. You would need a temperature probe of some sort to know for sure if you have a problem.

Your reference to lag isn’t really the detailed description we need. Either you are loosing steps or you aren’t. If you are loosing steps there are many possible issues. Steppers don’t really lag they either mis steps or stay in sync. A servo can lag resulting in excessive following error but that is entirely different than missing steps.
    Thanks for the response, I am clueless to witch is the correct dip switch configuration

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the motor mounted to an aluminum plate, to act as a heatsink?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

What do you currently have set on the dip switches?