Need Help! how to wire the relay switch for the ST-6560v3 ?

Thread: how to wire the relay switch for the ST-6560v3 ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question how to wire the relay switch for the ST-6560v3 ?

So the controller board I bought is a derivative of the TB6560. I got it from omc-steppersonline:
    https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/st...st-6560v3.html

Got the steppers wired up and running through linuxcnc, but can't figure out the relay.
    According to the docs, it has a built in AC relay, unlike the standard tb6560 blue board, which has a DC relay.
    But the best I can do is get 24V running through the relay circuit (i'm using a 24V power supply).
    I'm sure I'm wiring something wrong, but my google fu isn't strong enough to overcome results for the tb6560. All I can find is info about the 'blue board'.
    Here's the schematic for my board:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=384382&stc=1

The relay inputs are labeled: L1, NC, L2, NC
    So my assumption is it's: live, neutral/common, live, neutral/common
    Here's what I've done:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...d=384384&stc=1
    Right now I've just got a lightbulb plugged in there, not the spindle, and it only puts out a soft glow because of only getting 24V.
    Any ideas? Where am I screwing up?
    Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how to wire the relay switch for the ST-6560v3 ?-relay_wiring_schematic-png   how to wire the relay switch for the ST-6560v3 ?-st6560v3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: how to wire the relay switch for the ST-6560v3 ?

So something just occurred to me.
    It's not clear from my diagram, but the hot lead coming from the power supply to the relay is connected to one of the 24v terminals on the power supply.
    I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be connecting the relay directly to the incoming 110v line on the power supply?
    Which sorta makes sense, at least conceptually. But the idea of sending 110v directly to one of the connections on this board scares me a bit. I don't want to fry the thing.

Currently googling to get a better idea of how relays work and are wired up. But I think I might have reached my google threshold for the day. Time to relax for a bit and dig back into it tomorrow...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I've answered my own question.
    Needed to wire the relay directly to the 110v lead coming from the wall.
    Was a bit worried at first, as it's not entirely clear how this board is wired, and I didn't want to fry it, but it worked.
    It's basically just a power switch on the board. Though I have no idea what happens if that relay ever dies. Wonder if it will fry the controller chips. ...hope I never find out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Like you said, the relay is a switch which is moved by a small electric signal. On your board next to the relay output light, you see a small black thing with three pins soldered on the board.
    That's the transistor that switches the relay. What can happen if the relay dies.
    Two things: first it can stay "open" which means no power to your spindle. Second. the contacts melt to each other and stay closed. Your spindle won't stop until you pull the plug.
    I would expect that no chips will be fryed on the controller