Berger Lahr drives retrofit

Thread: Berger Lahr drives retrofit

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Berger Lahr drives retrofit

I have some Berger lahr drives in an EDM, the drives are old, MI 249810 5 phase drives, they have failed ( too old I was told,) and need repair or replacement (retrofit), the motors are fine they are Berger lahr RDM 51117/50. Would like to replace all with new drives and motors, dont believe I can get new drives that would work with old motors being 5 phase? Understand newer drives would be 3 phase stepper motors, and would run different voltage, 120-240 V vs 62 V. I can change out transformer in machine for this, would like to know if its possible to put in a more modern drive that will interface the same way old drives make signal connection, assume some cable changes would be needed. Would this be a plug and play type thing?
    Install new motors, run new cables to drives, supply drives with proper power, connect drives to signal with new or adapted cables, current cables are 48 pin ribbon, only 15 are used,
    I have info that says Berger Lahr MI 3499 drives will work but they seem to be obsolete also. Anyone out there that can help/do. Have put out some RFQs for this, but seems like this could be a R&R job? I have limited electronics knowledge so have to reach out.
    Thanks in advance.
    RK

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Berger Lahr drives retrofit

My first thoughts would be that if your 5 Phase motors are Good, you sure wouldn't want to Down Grade to a 2, 3, or 4 phase stepper, the nature of the 5 Phase is 500 step positions.

orientalmotor still makes 5 Phase stepper motors and drivers, you can still get those RDM 51117/50 motors New to at tune of about $1300.00 each from what I see on Flea bay.

as far as the Drivers you have, if Transformers and coils are not fried there should not be a big issue to Refurbish ... this of course depends on the Skills of the Tech doing the work ... "it's too old" is a common way of saying we just don't want to mess with it because we might not know WTF we are doing.

Hopefully you have the Service Manual for your Machine, if not I think that would be your First step in this Project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for your interest, yes, dont really want to change motors, they have never failed, just cant keep the drives working, what was meant by being old, I was told, was that caps and other components, get old and dry up and fail? (referring to caps I assumed), machine is 30 yrs old and have replaced some other caps elsewhere in machine. I have other of the same machines for spare parts but down to the last drive. Do you know of a source for repair?
    This is why I was considering a retro fit of something newer,more reliable,( AC vs DC) easy to repair/replace. I have lots of info as to what I can and cannot do, I just dont know fact from fiction, I will be contacting some repair/retro fit companys and get there opinions. My biggest question is connecting the machine control to the new drives,( signal compatibility)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes Caps do fail with age, that is the nature of that beast.

you didn't say what machine you have but I'm almost thinking Deckel Sinker, I seem to remember some retrofits for them but that was years back and one of their issues was in fact keeping the drivers running.

without knowing the specifics of your drivers as to what signals they need to function, it's hard to just say hey this 5 phase driver will work, OrientalMotor is one company that I have dealt with in the past and I know they still make 5 Phase drivers, as far as a Retro Fit my guess is that would be a complete Electronics Package.... at least this is how I did Retro Fits back in the days before I retired.

old machine controller new Drivers sounds like the beginning of a Nightmare, I'm not saying it can't be done, but it may prove to be a Challenge.

2-phase vs. 5-phase Stepper Motors <<== I think they may even be a vendor here as I see plenty of their ads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,
    unbelievable but just got three relatively unused MI 2498.10 5 phase drives. When its hooked on power and motor only one single red light is burning. Obviously an error as no power on the motor.
    Seems i need some kind of manual how to enable the drive.

Any documentation laying around or suggestion how to enable these drives?

Thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What are you using to control it,( signal input)? which led is lit up, there is 4 fault lights.I have some info on them.
    RWK

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rwkjr View Post
    What are you using to control it,( signal input)? which led is lit up, there is 4 fault lights.I have some info on them.
    RWK
    Hi guys, forgive me for jumping on an old post, but I need help. I have a machine that has 3 Berger-Lahr d900 drives controlled by galil with a icm2900 breakout . The machine was moved, wires got pulled out and cut off at the black plastic plugs in the galil 2900 . I have some info on the drives and some on the galil but I cannot get motion ….and the drives remain in the red not ready state. I need to know how to connect the wires from the D900 enclosure called a 3u or maybe 3hu cabinet out to the icm2900.