Paxton Steam Engine

Thread: Paxton Steam Engine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Paxton Steam Engine

Does anyone recall an article in a car magazine like Motor Trend or Car & Driver around 1969 that described a hybrid steam engine built by the grandson of the owner of the famous Paxton Supercharger Company? The 2-3 page article compared it to Chryslers big hemi engine showing that it had more torque, higher horsepower, smaller size, and incredible fuel economy. It was a completely enclosed system that used glycerin or something similar as the steam medium rather than water since it was a natural lubricant and a more efficient medium. It was tested and ready for production and just needed a sponsor to build a production facility after spending two million dollars of his family's money on development. I imagine that if it was that good, it was bought up by big oil and kept away from the public or destroyed. It was claimed that it would revolutionize the auto industry. I know I borrowed it from a friend and read it several times and should have bought a copy for myself. There must be a copy out there or an archive in a library somewhere. Any recollections or leads?

Now that would be a great steam project to research patents on and build!

Thanks,

Daryl Woodworth

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I am sure it was all a conspiracy just like the 500mpg carburetor..

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1953-p...ible-coupe.htm

sam

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of this stuff is online now.
    http://books.google.com/books?q=Paxton+steam+car

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Paxton Vapor Engine

Just wanted to update this thread for those steam enthusiasts who found this topic interesting. I did find an article in a 1968 issue of The Steam Automobile magazine that showed a pdf copy of steam articles from Road Test magazine that included the Paxton Steam Engine, or Vapor Engine as the inventor, Douglas R. Paxton, preferred. It isn't the exact article I originally saw, but it included most of the highlights I remembered, such as the comparison between it and Chrysler's big V8. I also found the patent information, but it is all about the theory and none of the blueprints I hoped for to actually attempt to build a working unit.

What I found can be viewed here around page 21:

http://www.steamautomobile.com/archi...v10n1.CV01.pdf

Food for thought!