How many have used "Multiply group"

Thread: How many have used "Multiply group"

Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb How many have used "Multiply group"

I am wondering if others have figured out the great benefits of Multiply group, I know most understand how to use group, for organizing things and doing other ops, but I only recently ran into Multiply group, and found what it does

Wondering how many have used it, and maybe we can share all the different ways it can enhance things

Ok so I added my example, zipped is the SC11 stc file latest SC update, and provided 2 pics, 2 nc files one how I edited and one how a post spits it out, I do not use that post but just example.

Their are two bugs (at least to me), and I did report them, maybe SC can have them fixed then I would not have to post edit my nc file

Maybe I am using Multiply Group in away that it was not designed? but this is what I would like it to do

Leave your thoughts and comments below

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many have used "Multiply group"-example-multiply-group1-jpg   How many have used "Multiply group"-example-multiply-group2-jpg   How many have used "Multiply group"-example-multiply-group3-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by drutort; 02-24-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How many have used "Multiply group"

since nobody seems to see the benefits, maybe because the pics do not do it justice but i'll try and explain it.

the first Multiply group containers 2 other sets of multiply group, if you noticed in the picture these groups can do all kinds of transformations, without having to do it for each operation, but at this folder level so we have simple round array with 4 instances and each is 90 deg

now that would be it, but the 2nd multiply group2 what it has is two simple operations just 1 contour step, and then the through cut out. None of this is a big deal yet. What makes it a big deal is that instead of having each operation go through the transformation, then the next operation and your machine is going in a circle twice, which is not efficient, normally you would want it to work and finish the area with the same tool, then move on. This is where the 2nd multiple group2 holds both of these ops together,, only one parameter is selected "machining sequence" set to "by operations"

Then the same is done for the chamering, only the first bottom feature is selected, but the top and step are both done first, then the transformation happens, which is as efficient as you can make it, imagine many other detailed features with same tool all done at different z levels etc...

Now to me I am not sure this is the main purpose for Multiply group, I believe it has to do with some multi axis machines, and the lack of the tool tip on this group I have avoided it like most have not knowing what could be done with it.

Bottom line is, that this works for array of parts, and any feature that might have some symmetry, this saves me personally time selecting many lines and having to see the tool jump back and forth, normally I would force the work by duplicating the machining operation by local area, and wasting a lot of time on selecting each edge and feature many times.

With this method I just have to put the proper features into the folders properly per tool and only make one selection of the the feature, and cause it to be duplicated while still staying in the same local feature area

I hope this makes sense.

Downloads
    Uploads

My Sprutcam notes show this as an operation that did not work and or didn't post anything for my Tormach mill. . Just tried it again in version 12 with same results. I don't see any transformed tool paths.
    I do use this same transformation menu for single operations all the time. Only note I have on these functions is always use copy setting because subroutine code does not post to PP

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    My Sprutcam notes show this as an operation that did not work and or didn't post anything for my Tormach mill. . Just tried it again in version 12 with same results. I don't see any transformed tool paths.
    I do use this same transformation menu for single operations all the time. Only note I have on these functions is always use copy setting because subroutine code does not post to PP
    did you try and download and open my SC 11.5 file? and if you still have SC11.5 try to open it in their? Maybe for the Tormach post it does not work?

Downloads
    Uploads

I Went back and spent a little more time trying to use this function. Same results as I had noted. No clear way to set or adjust origin of transformations. Causing the tool paths to often shift from the desired pattern and unclear how to fix it. "no gouge errors either" Also it visually multiplied tool paths but in simulation they were performed in same location. The same function for single operations allows the transform origin from to be set in a number of ways including to a ucs. It works predictably with all the patterns and axis available.
    Anyway after crashing the software and locking up system a number of times I give up. Be nice to see them develop this type of group operation function to work like it does for single operations. I use it all the time like shown below. Example of some quick testing and porting of user operations and 4th axis setups to v12.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How many have used "Multiply group"-4thaxistest-jpg