Engraving Nightmare

Thread: Engraving Nightmare

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Engraving Nightmare

I'm making my first attempts at engraving on a cylinder and it's driving me crazy. Part is drawn in IronCad, exported to IGES and imported into Sprutcam7. Everything looks fine until I run a test will a tool (tiny end mill). I get an extremely weird tool path and the rotary axis coordinates seem to shift 45 degrees when run. I just cannot figure out what is going on. Any ideas? Thank you.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engraving Nightmare-pre-run-jpg   Engraving Nightmare-post-run-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Engraving Nightmare

HA!
    Displayed tool paths for 4th axis work are ALWAYS wierd. The machine's perspective and the programmer's perspective are different from yours.
    What matters far more is what the actual job looks like. First try with softwood or LDPE.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    HA!
    Displayed tool paths for 4th axis work are ALWAYS wierd. The machine's perspective and the programmer's perspective are different from yours.
    What matters far more is what the actual job looks like. First try with softwood or LDPE.

Cheers
    Roger
    I wish that was the case, but the g-code looks like the simulation shown in the pic, with Z axis cutting depth varying almost .5". The diameter of the part is .99". The depth of the engraved letters are .010". The Z is going deeper that -.4" at times. Also, why did the A axis shown in the center of the part shift 45 degrees after run was performed? Why is the cutting tool positioned at a 45 degree angle too?

Downloads
    Uploads

Z axis cutting depth varying almost .5"
    Well, that's ODD! Sounds like a Ironcad or Sprutcam problem. I do not know either.

why did the A axis shown in the center of the part shift 45 degrees after run was performed? Why is the cutting tool positioned at a 45 degree angle too?
    These MAY be an artifact of the graphics rendering. I get that too on Mach3, but it works just fine.
    It is hard enough displaying 3D stuff on a 2D screen: trying to put a 4th dimension there is ... difficult.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know if it is possible to do simultaneous rotary work with roughing waterline,dont think so.
    the toolpaths should not look like that when you mill with the A-axis.

Try using engraving insteed with "project toolpath onto part" and "tool axis orientation normal to 4D"

Engraving Nightmare-engraving-jpg