Pocketing question of the day

Thread: Pocketing question of the day

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Pocketing question of the day

Say I want to do a roughing pocketing operation, 0.75 inch deep where I leave a 0.01 stock for later removal on the finishing pass. The roughing looks good, but...

I am copy+pasting the first operation into the second operation which will be the finishing pass with stock = 0.000". I could swear doing this would instruct Sprutcam 7 to pocket the remaining material, not the entire pocket as if it was filled with material. What am I missing here? Am I missing some sort of magic checkbox?

Some important data points:

1. My second tool is smaller in diameter than the first. (first is 0.5", second is 0.25")
    2. This is with Sprutcam 7

Similar Threads:
    I document my CNC Experience at CNC Dude's Youtube channel. Check it out!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pocketing question of the day

Dude,
    When you copied the first op I assume you did change the Parameters and Strategy to make it one pass only. If this is done correctly then only one pass should occur.
    Also in the Machining page you must Run the first op before you Run the finishing pass op so that Sprut knows that only .010" is left.

SC7 releases (and probably 8's) can have bugs non existent in the releases either side. So if your release has a bug in this exact spot then instead of copying the operation, Crete a new one and select the previous opn listed under "By operation" in the "Fill parameters" on lower right hand side of the New Operation window. Then you will have to reassign the machining area, new tool etc.
    Good luck
    Bevin

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pocketing question of the day

I have used a 2d contour op after the pocketing op to do the finish pass on some wood boxes I made recently, I also use sprut7.

I believe if you enter .010 in the stock box at the top right it will do a finish pass as well in the pocketing op, I may be wrong on this but I dont think so. I also set the relief angle to 0 as well as I was making a straight sided box.

just a couple things to try.....

mike sr