Training SprutCAM - (Australia)

Thread: Training SprutCAM - (Australia)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Training SprutCAM - (Australia)

Hi All,

I am just in the process of purchasing a tormach 770, a long with the SprutCAM software. Does anyone provide training in Australia for this software ? I am based in Darwin, so will probably have to travel to one of the major cities !

I have limited to no experience with CNC mills, but a heavy programming / computer background. Just looking to avoid any of the bigginer mistakes if at all possible.

Thanks in Advance,

Adrian

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Adrian,
    I am not aware of any SprutCAM training in Australia.

But the training videos produced by Tormach are very good (and free) and will help you get familiar with most of the usual operations. And the Tormach SprutCAM guru can provide good advice (also for free).

A software background will provide some help but the G code is lilke a very basic Basic. Nevertheless you should learn the commands etc, because you will find it necessary to modify the SprutCAM output occasionally. The Tormach User Manuals (for the machines) cover the Gcode in sufficient detail and are specific to the Tormach postprocessor, the software used by SprutCAM that produces the Gcode.

Don't bother to buy the Peter Smid "CNC Programming Handbook", it is very detailed and most of it is not applicable to the Tormach. I have a copy and have used it about three times over the last four years. (I too have a software background.)

Unless you have a machinist's background, you probably will find the biggest learning curve in CNC to be speeds and feeds and techniques. The cnczone forums for SprutCAM and Tormach are excellent, very active and have very experienced and capable posters who offer good advice.

The support from Tormach is excellent, really outstanding and the quality of the machines is great value for money. You have made a good choice of brand.

And here in Australia, I think we have about four or five owners and at least one in NZ. I am in Canberra.

Good luck,
    Bevin

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Bevin,

Thanks for your post, I have just placed my order for the 770 so will hopefully have it by xmas. Unfortunately I already purchased the "Peter Smid" book already ..... it reminds me of a unix book that I once read "The magic garden" but as you have suggested will probably get little use but will be a good reference.

I have asked them to send the SprutCAM software over via airbag, so it will give me a bit of time prior to the machine arriving.

I plan on using G-Wizard for the feeds, speeds etc. Do you use this software at all? as I haven't done any machining for a long time ... and it was all manual. So am expecting a steep learning curve.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you are on the steep end of that curve.

You can download Sprut from the web and have a 30 day license immediately. As Bevin said the Tormach (now SprutCAM America) videos are very good. Here is a link to some of those videos:
    <http://www.sprutcamamerica.com/sprutcam7_video_tutorials.php>

There is a Forum for questions. I think it is sponsored by the UK arm of Sprut. Here is that link:
    <http://forums.sprutcam.com/forums/index.php?act=idx>

These folks also offer good videos. Here is a link to one of those Videos:
    <http://www.youtube.com/user/Dukes4monny>

You should look to the left of the video to find more examples.

I use G-Wizard. I think it is an excellent tool. I think you will find it to be a good choice. Bob Warfield is a regular contributor here. He is the developer of G-Wizard. I know, first hand, if you are having troubles with feeds and speeds, he is willing to help a newbie get going.

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Flyingchips for the links.

I did down load the demo version of Sprutcam, but couldn't get the zip file to unpack. I dropped them an email, but didn't get a response. I have been too lazy to chase them, as I have the licenced version on the way.

This has worked out pretty well as I downloaded rhino3d and have put most of my effort into learning how to drive that..... Unfortnately the last cad program I used was autocad R10!

But the learning curve hasn't been to bad.

Thanks for the words re Gwizard, it is alway good to know you are on the right track.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Training SprutCAM - (Australia)

Quote Originally Posted by al010964 View Post
    Hi All,

I am just in the process of purchasing a tormach 770, a long with the SprutCAM software. Does anyone provide training in Australia for this software ? I am based in Darwin, so will probably have to travel to one of the major cities !

I have limited to no experience with CNC mills, but a heavy programming / computer background. Just looking to avoid any of the bigginer mistakes if at all possible.

Thanks in Advance,

Adrian
    Hi
    I know this is an old post,just in case any one looking for SprutCAM training in Australia https://nctools.com.au/services/sprutcam-software/