How fast can I run this motor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How fast can I run this motor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default How fast can I run this motor?

I have a Marathon BlackMAX inverter duty motor. It is 4-pole, will be run at 220 VAC, and has a baseplate RPM of 1800. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...duty/y551-a772

I will be running it with this VFD: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...vfds/gs21-23p0
    The VFD is capable of outputting 400 hz.

So the question is, how fast can I safely run this motor? I am hoping to be able to run it at 5000 rpm. If I can't, where can I find a 2-3 hp motor that can be run that fast?

Similar Threads:
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How fast can I run this motor?

I think you may just make it with that motor, if you want to confirm maybe, try an email to support https://www.regalrexnord.com/brands/...ter-Duty-Motor

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

e-mailed, guess we'll see if I get a response. Would the only "harm" be vibration/mechanical instability if I go "too far"? I mean sure it will eventually rip itself apart, but again, that's a "mechanical issue" - is there any electrical risk in running at too high a frequency?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    I have a Marathon BlackMAX inverter duty motor. It is 4-pole, will be run at 220 VAC, and has a baseplate RPM of 1800. https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...duty/y551-a772

I will be running it with this VFD: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...vfds/gs21-23p0
    The VFD is capable of outputting 400 hz.

So the question is, how fast can I safely run this motor? I am hoping to be able to run it at 5000 rpm. If I can't, where can I find a 2-3 hp motor that can be run that fast?
    It may be able to as it is a closed loop vector motor, look for a washdown motors they normally can run at those high RPM, you don't need this type of motor unless you need to control the speed, very precisely, a regular vector duty motor without an encoder will work for most applications.

Most VFD Drive can do 400Hz =12,000 RPM for a 4p motor 24,000RPM for a 2p motor, so you won't be needing 400Hz for this type of motor.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

e-mailed, guess we'll see if I get a response. Would the only "harm" be vibration/mechanical instability if I go "too far"? I mean sure it will eventually rip itself apart, but again, that's a "mechanical issue" - is there any electrical risk in running at too high a frequency?
    Yes, if it is not designed to use High Frequency it will burn up quite quickly if incorrectly Hz is used. so, if it is a 60hz rated motor normally 120Hz is the max, being a Vector Duty Motor, it would be able to go to its max rating RPM, so to run at 5000RPM you would be using a max of 166Hz for a 4pole motor you may need 167Hz or 168Hz to get the exact 5000RPM.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

According to the spec pdf, 5400 RPM max

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/sta...rsblackmax.pdf

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    So 180 Hz, or slightly above to allow for slip.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

To me the overriding factor would be if the bearings and motor can dissipate the heat without melting the winding insulation or the bearings.

Running up to 5000rpm when required within the duty cycle of motor and drive is probably ok, but running continuously at these speeds could fry one, other or both.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    To me the overriding factor would be if the bearings and motor can dissipate the heat without melting the winding insulation or the bearings.

Running up to 5000rpm when required within the duty cycle of motor and drive is probably ok, but running continuously at these speeds could fry one, other or both.
    Marathon motors are quite a reputable make, I don't see them introducing misleading specs!?

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Marathon motors are quite a reputable make, I don't see them introducing misleading specs!?
    With respect, no spindle or spindle motor will have longevity running continuously flat out under load. Over the years I have changed umpteen spindles and motors for this very reason. Siemens, Fanuc, Yaskawa and so on.

A Porsche might be able to reach 100mph in first gear, but not for long if you keep it there.

Motor and drive duty cycle are all important. How many accelerations and decelerations per hour needs to be determined.

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't see anyone specify that the spindle may be running flat out continuously, it just seemed the OP was curious as to the max motor RPM?.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for finding that, Jim. I have probably looked at that PDF but missed that detail. That said, it indicates max 5400 rpm when running 460 volts. Any difference at 220 volts (just double the current?)?

How fast can I run this motor?-motor-specs-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How fast can I run this motor?-motor-specs-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for finding that, Jim. I have probably looked at that PDF but missed that detail. That said, it indicates max 5400 rpm when running 460 volts. Any difference at 220 volts (just double the current?)?

How fast can I run this motor?-motor-specs-jpg
    Yes, I would have posted the same PDF, but this is not for your motor specs, the 460v motor has completely different motor windings, not saying that your 220v / 240v motor won't have similar specs! inverter duty kind of say it is and will do what you want, but get the correct specs.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    So 180 Hz, or slightly above to allow for slip.
    You don't need to allow for slip most VFD Drives can compensate for slip if the Parameters get set, a VFD Drive used in Vector mode can Auto-tune for slip.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

With respect, no spindle or spindle motor will have longevity running continuously flat out under load. Over the years I have changed umpteen spindles and motors for this very reason. Siemens, Fanuc, Yaskawa and so on.

A Porsche might be able to reach 100mph in first gear, but not for long if you keep it there.

Motor and drive duty cycle are all important. How many accelerations and decelerations per hour needs to be determined.
    You are talking about your experience with machining centers where spindle mostly fail from abuse, 5,000 RPM is very slow compared to 24,000RPM or a 60,000 RPM spindle which most hobby users are running, some are getting many years of use before new Bearings are needed, and they leave their spindle running over night sometimes 24 hours or more, of run time can be normal for some of these 24,000 RPM spindles, they last very well, if setup correctly.

So, 5,000 RPM is nothing for a Vector inverter duty Motor like this.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

That's 230/460 dual voltage motor. Pretty sure the performance is the same for both voltages.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

VFD : very afordable spindles

push it to max

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You are talking about your experience with machining centers where spindle mostly fail from abuse, 5,000 RPM is very slow compared to 24,000RPM or a 60,000 RPM spindle which most hobby users are running, some are getting many years of use before new Bearings are needed, and they leave their spindle running over night sometimes 24 hours or more, of run time can be normal for some of these 24,000 RPM spindles, they last very well, if setup correctly.

So, 5,000 RPM is nothing for a Vector inverter duty Motor like this.
    Indeed, but price is reflected by the quality of the bearings and motor windings.
    Cheap price means cheap components ????

Downloads
    Uploads

Indeed, but price is reflected by the quality of the bearings and motor windings.
    Cheap price means cheap components ????
    The motor the OP selected are the most expensive Ac motors, does not mean they are the best choice for the job.

The cheap Hobby Spindles that in general run at 24,000 RPM can last for years, and when I say cheap $98 to $400 can buy them a reliable spindle, the one below can be had for $245 and is one of the best to buy, it is water cooled.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How fast can I run this motor?-2-2kw-220v-400hz-24-000-rpm  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Yes, I would have posted the same PDF, but this is not for your motor specs, the 460v motor has completely different motor windings, not saying that your 220v / 240v motor won't have similar specs! inverter duty kind of say it is and will do what you want, but get the correct specs.
    Same motor can be wired for low or high voltage, so that line is for the same motor. Not sure why they don't post the same chart for 220 V.

How fast can I run this motor?-capture-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How fast can I run this motor?-capture-jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast