Need Help! VFD Potentionometer - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFD Potentionometer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD Potentionometer

Mactec54,

Ok, I will set parameter 13-08, (Restore Factory Setting) back to (3) 3-wire initialization, 60HZ, 230/460/690V, then go back in and try to adjust parameters again and perform the auto tune.

I wouldn't have thought this would have been this hard.

Will let you know after I do this.

Thanks!
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

I found this in the manual, could the problem be SW2 in the 20mA current state, which should be Voltage
    VFD Potentionometer-fig4-81-png

Downloads
    Uploads

Toivvd,

The SW2 dip switch is in the V position already.

Thanks,

Downloads
    Uploads

mactec54,

Do you think the VFD has internal issues since it is unable to output the 10V at the AI1 and AI2 terminals. Is isn't that old, I have been working on retrofitting my machine over the last year or so, maybe a little longer.

Thanks,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by seapacer2 View Post
    mactec54,

Do you think the VFD has internal issues since it is unable to output the 10V at the AI1 and AI2 terminals. Is isn't that old, I have been working on retrofitting my machine over the last year or so, maybe a little longer.

Thanks,
    Mark
    That is not an Output, it is a Input only by what the manual diagram is showing +10v dc Input.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54,

Ok, I will set parameter 13-08, (Restore Factory Setting) back to (3) 3-wire initialization, 60HZ, 230/460/690V, then go back in and try to adjust parameters again and perform the auto tune.

I wouldn't have thought this would have been this hard.

Will let you know after I do this.

Thanks!
    Mark
    No, you should Reset doing 13-08=2 or 13-08=8 both do the same thing, you don't want to be doing a 3 wire Reset

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54.

I just set everything back to the factory defaults, disconnected the Pot, and reprogrammed the parameters. It is worst now, spindle is running even slower and it only is showing 5.00 Hz on the display while running. No matter what you do increases the Hz.

I got a response from the TECO Drive tech support today after submitting a question early last week. The 10V and GND is an output, he said that it should show and 10VDC on the meter across the 10V and GND Terminal. Im getting 0 volts,

At least before adding the Pot, I was able to get the proper 60Hz and the correct spindle speed. Im sure it is a parameter setting but I haven’t found it yet. What would stop me from getting the 10VDC on that terminal? Reading the manual, this doesn’t look that difficult.

Not sure what direction to go from here, will try to find the incorrect parameter.

Thanks,
    Mark

QUOTE=mactec54;2538010]No, you should Reset doing 13-08=2 or 13-08=8 both do the same thing, you don't want to be doing a 3 wire Reset[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54,

What mode should I be running this in, I’m in the SLV mode.

I forgot that in the last post.

Thanks,
    Mark

QUOTE=seapacer2;2538044]Mactec54.

I just set everything back to the factory defaults, disconnected the Pot, and reprogrammed the parameters. It is worst now, spindle is running even slower and it only is showing 5.00 Hz on the display while running. No matter what you do increases the Hz.

I got a response from the TECO Drive tech support today after submitting a question early last week. The 10V and GND is an output, he said that it should show and 10VDC on the meter across the 10V and GND Terminal. Im getting 0 volts,

At least before adding the Pot, I was able to get the proper 60Hz and the correct spindle speed. Im sure it is a parameter setting but I haven’t found it yet. What would stop me from getting the 10VDC on that terminal? Reading the manual, this doesn’t look that difficult.

Not sure what direction to go from here, will try to find the incorrect parameter.

Thanks,
    Mark

QUOTE=mactec54;2538010]No, you should Reset doing 13-08=2 or 13-08=8 both do the same thing, you don't want to be doing a 3 wire Reset[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54,

What mode should I be running this in, I’m in the SLV mode.

I forgot that in the last post.

Thanks,
    Mark

QUOTE=seapacer2;2538044]Mactec54.

Thanks,
    Mark

QUOTE=mactec54;2538010]No, you should Reset doing 13-08=2 or 13-08=8 both do the same thing, you don't want to be doing a 3 wire Reset
    The +10v there wording is saying it is an Input. if it is an Output then their manual wording is incorrect, If this is an Output, then it is damaged.

You are doing something wrong with the Programing, for it to be running at 5Hz, you should be using V/F mode until you have it running and don't use Auto Tune

A01 is a 0-10v output 04-11=2 =A01-0-10v you will have to ask the Tec if you can use the A01 output it may not give you a straight 10v

You can use a 10v supply to your pot wired correctly there is no reason for it not to work.

They are saying in that snip that you should not be using the internal 24v or +10v to power external devices.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Potentionometer-10v-input-png   VFD Potentionometer-24v-output-png   VFD Potentionometer-24v-10-jpg  
    Last edited by mactec54; 01-20-2023 at 07:32 PM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I looked at the L510 and that is much better than the A510 for what you are doing, and the instructions are much better for the settings, still has the same wording though for the +10v which should be an output, so your +10v is taking a break / failed, you could try different numbers in the 00.05= Parameter try 2 and see if it will change anything, normally it is 0n when the Power is 0n though, so Parameters should not change how that +10v functions.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54,

Good News! I worked out in the garage late last night, going over and over the parameters, looking for soemthing that would work. I got the spindle to turn at full speed, It was in the parameter 00-02 and 00-05 settings, I was able to utililze the operator key pad to incease and decrease the spindle speed. However, I have taken the Pot out of the equation, still unable to get it to work. I ohm tested the Pot, and it seems to go open on the meter as you increase the Pot dial. I could possibly have a bad potentionmeter, but that still doesnt explain the 10V issue. I may have more than one (1) issue and can easily get the switch replaced, I just picked that up.

And you are correct, the manual isn't clear on indicating output or input. I checked the 24V side and GND again and it checked out OK, so I believe that the GND circuit of the VFD is OK. This VFD is over a year old, and hasn't been utilized that much just to test machine in the conversion. I assume with the cost of VFD not, it isn't worth repairing? I'm sure the 10V supply is created on the main power board, but not totaly sure about that.

I choose the A510 because of the single and 3-phase input, I have since moved the machine from my shop, which had 3-phase to my home garage, single phase. There were very few VFD's that would hook up to single and 3-phase inputs. I talked to Teco before purchasing, they indicated that the A510 was very easy set up.

If I do have to replace, any recommendtations? I guess for now I just utilize the operator key pad.

Thanks,
    Mark

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54,

Good News! I worked out in the garage late last night, going over and over the parameters, looking for soemthing that would work. I got the spindle to turn at full speed, It was in the parameter 00-02 and 00-05 settings, I was able to utililze the operator key pad to incease and decrease the spindle speed. However, I have taken the Pot out of the equation, still unable to get it to work. I ohm tested the Pot, and it seems to go open on the meter as you increase the Pot dial. I could possibly have a bad potentionmeter, but that still doesnt explain the 10V issue. I may have more than one (1) issue and can easily get the switch replaced, I just picked that up.

And you are correct, the manual isn't clear on indicating output or input. I checked the 24V side and GND again and it checked out OK, so I believe that the GND circuit of the VFD is OK. This VFD is over a year old, and hasn't been utilized that much just to test machine in the conversion. I assume with the cost of VFD not, it isn't worth repairing? I'm sure the 10V supply is created on the main power board, but not totaly sure about that.

I choose the A510 because of the single and 3-phase input, I have since moved the machine from my shop, which had 3-phase to my home garage, single phase. There were very few VFD's that would hook up to single and 3-phase inputs. I talked to Teco before purchasing, they indicated that the A510 was very easy set up.

If I do have to replace, any recommendtations? I guess for now I just utilize the operator key pad.

Thanks,
    Mark
    You can use any VFD Drive it does not have to be Single Phase rated, any 3Phase VFD will work fine with Single Phase so don't get hung up on that, normally for single phase use your VFD Drive input Amp capacity is important for single phase use, so if your motor spec is 3Hp you would / should use 4Hp to 5Hp VFD Drive this can be any brand 3Phase VFD Drive the same thing applies.

So, Single Phase to 3Phase is not a problem up to 7.5Hp, 5 Hp is normally a good stopping point though for Single Phase use, as you need a very good Single-Phase supply, the NEC requirement is double the motor rated full load Amps x125%= the required amps / circuit for a single phase to 3phase conversion

In the 00-00= Parameters group is some of the most important Parameters to set sometimes it only take (1) Parameter to be incorrect to mess things up, that is why you start with the very basic Parameters using the KeyPad to control the VFD Drive then move to more advanced settings once you have it all working correct from the KeyPad.

You Pot could have been the problem, the +10v can only handle 20mA so easy to damage, plus I think it requires 10K Pot not 5K as it says in the specs.

Last edited by mactec54; 01-21-2023 at 09:59 AM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The +10V power for analog input is indeed a output which can deliver a maximum of 20 mA
    The return path for it is the GND analog signal common, so between these two terminals there should be 10 Volt pls. check it
    I don't know if it's only there when parameter 00-05 is set to 1
    I hope you connected the pot in the right way. The fact that your pot go's open could be that it's blown by wrong connecting
    VFD Potentionometer-schermafbeelding-2023-01-23-173225-png
    The picture is from the manual, but shows 12V where 10V should be

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    The +10V power for analog input is indeed a output which can deliver a maximum of 20 mA
    The return path for it is the GND analog signal common, so between these two terminals there should be 10 Volt pls. check it
    I don't know if it's only there when parameter 00-05 is set to 1
    I hope you connected the pot in the right way. The fact that your pot go's open could be that it's blown by wrong connecting
    VFD Potentionometer-schermafbeelding-2023-01-23-173225-png
    The picture is from the manual, but shows 12V where 10V should be
    Your diagram is incorrect for his VFD Drive, not only the 12v is incorrect, but the Pot rating is also incorrect, his VFD Drive specs has already been posted, yes it should be an output which is normal for most VFD Drives his +10v output has failed.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

except fot the 12v which should be 10 volt, the diagram is correct.
    The 10 Volt output is capable to deliver 20 mA so any pot which has a value greater than 500 Ohm will not overload this.
    A to high Ohm value pot wil give a to high impedance to the input which might give a non linear speed control. My experience is that any pot from 1 Kohm until 25 Kohm works perfect on the many VFD that I worked with.
    You are right most probably his +10v output has failed. to be sure, I would verify that again and be sure to use the analog signal common for the negative pole.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toinvd View Post
    except fot the 12v which should be 10 volt, the diagram is correct.
    The 10 Volt output is capable to deliver 20 mA so any pot which has a value greater than 500 Ohm will not overload this.
    A to high Ohm value pot wil give a to high impedance to the input which might give a non linear speed control. My experience is that any pot from 1 Kohm until 25 Kohm works perfect on the many VFD that I worked with.
    You are right most probably his +10v output has failed. to be sure, I would verify that again and be sure to use the analog signal common for the negative pole.
    Yes, that is correct, there specs are for 1- 5K, he could use an external 10v dc supply to do the same job! or an Analog 0-10v variable supply!

There are at least 3 options for him to control the VFD speed remotely.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Potentionometer-pot-control-png  
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12