Huanyang Spindle losing power

Thread: Huanyang Spindle losing power

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Huanyang Spindle losing power

Hi all,

Looking fr some troubleshooting help.

I have a Huanyang GDZ-80 2.2kW 220V 220V spindle and the HYOD223B VFD on my PrintNC mill and have had relatively trouble free operation for a couple of years. Recently I had some run-out issues which turned out to be the start of the tapered chuck thread had folded over into the inside of taper which created a burr. I turned down the RPM to 7200 and used some fine grit sandpaper to clean up the edge after dressing it out and since then, my spindle has had occasional hiccups where the RPM drops and will eventually stall out with the overload error on the control pad even with very light cuts in wood.

To troubleshoot, I measured the resistance of all three windings and they were matched. 4th pin is grounded to spindle body and IGUS cable has shielding properly grounded. I decided to unplug everything overnight and today I went through all the programming settings which were supplied by Mactec54 (many thanks for your contributions!) and they were correct so I started the spindle and let it run at 11k RPM. After a few minutes it started to have intermittent RPM drops (not cutting, just running with no load). I switched to amp draw reading and noticed that there were surges in the amperage being used as the rpms would drop and then recover. Was 2.3 amps running fine and would spike all the way to 9 depending on how much and how long of an rpm drop. Sometimes just a subtle quick drop in rpms and it would just got to 4 or 5 amps.

Any thoughts or ideas? Is it possible I'm having an error with the active braking of the spindle engaging while it is running?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Huanyang Spindle losing power

Quote Originally Posted by mchesney1 View Post
    Hi all,

Looking fr some troubleshooting help.

I have a Huanyang GDZ-80 2.2kW 220V 220V spindle and the HYOD223B VFD on my PrintNC mill and have had relatively trouble free operation for a couple of years. Recently I had some run-out issues which turned out to be the start of the tapered chuck thread had folded over into the inside of taper which created a burr. I turned down the RPM to 7200 and used some fine grit sandpaper to clean up the edge after dressing it out and since then, my spindle has had occasional hiccups where the RPM drops and will eventually stall out with the overload error on the control pad even with very light cuts in wood.

To troubleshoot, I measured the resistance of all three windings and they were matched. 4th pin is grounded to spindle body and IGUS cable has shielding properly grounded. I decided to unplug everything overnight and today I went through all the programming settings which were supplied by Mactec54 (many thanks for your contributions!) and they were correct so I started the spindle and let it run at 11k RPM. After a few minutes it started to have intermittent RPM drops (not cutting, just running with no load). I switched to amp draw reading and noticed that there were surges in the amperage being used as the rpms would drop and then recover. Was 2.3 amps running fine and would spike all the way to 9 depending on how much and how long of an rpm drop. Sometimes just a subtle quick drop in rpms and it would just got to 4 or 5 amps.

Any thoughts or ideas? Is it possible I'm having an error with the active braking of the spindle engaging while it is running?
    Check and see what the input supply power is doing

Another check is to measure the 0-10v Analog output for spindle speed control

There may be other Parameters that can be set, but first will have to see what is causing the fluctuation with the RPM

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

What would be the best way to check the input power supply?

Also, I noticed that when cycling through the displays on the control panel of the VFD that there are two "Hz" values that can be displayed. The first is preceded by an "R" and the second is preceded by an "F". I'm not sure of the difference between these two but when the spindle is running normally these values are the same. When the RPM/Power fluctuations occur there is a corresponding drop in the "R" Hz value but the "F" Hz stays constant during the fluctuations. Would this indicate anything or narrow the possibilities?

Thanks for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

What would be the best way to check the input power supply?

Also, I noticed that when cycling through the displays on the control panel of the VFD that there are two "Hz" values that can be displayed. The first is preceded by an "R" and the second is preceded by an "F". I'm not sure of the difference between these two but when the spindle is running normally these values are the same. When the RPM/Power fluctuations occur there is a corresponding drop in the "R" Hz value but the "F" Hz stays constant during the fluctuations. Would this indicate anything or narrow the possibilities?

Thanks for the assistance, it is greatly appreciated.

Mike
    Can you post a photo of the R and F Hz the F= Forward and the R= Reverse, Hz is completely different mode the KeyPad can only be in one of the modes and should never be able to be in the Reverse Mode as that would mean that your spindle has changed direction and you should not be doing this.

If you are running the spindle the wrong way, with the same cutters then you would get the spindle to overload quite easy

So, your spindle should only be running CW / FWD direction when looking down from the top of the spindle, should not be wired to run in Reverse, this Parameter needs to be set PD023=0 Reverse Run Forbidden

So, when you start your spindle are you using the KeyPad or the machine Control using an M3S-----??

You would either use a clamp on meter or a multimeter the same meter that you would use to measure the 0-10v to see if that is fluctuating

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The R mode and the F mode display separately. I cycled to R mode initially and saw the value drop when there was a fluctuation in the RPM and then cycled to the F display and it stayed steady despite any fluctuations in power/rpm. The spindle does turn in the clockwise (FWD) direction when looking down from the top and PD023=0. When I rotate the potentiometer on the front of the panel it goes from 120 to 400hz in the R and F mode but like I said, the fluctuations are only seen in the R mode display. The fluctuations are random and it only occurs randomly with no pattern or RPM association. My power goes from a relay to a noise filter and then to the VFD. I'll alligator clamp the multimeter to the input terminals and run it until it fluctuates but sometimes it goes quite awhile before they occur. You wouldn't happen to know what pins in the ribbon cable are to the potentiometer would you? if not, I'll see if I can find a manual and schematic.

Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot to add, I start and stop from the VFD keypad.

Downloads
    Uploads

The R mode and the F mode display separately. I cycled to R mode initially and saw the value drop when there was a fluctuation in the RPM and then cycled to the F display and it stayed steady despite any fluctuations in power/rpm. The spindle does turn in the clockwise (FWD) direction when looking down from the top and PD023=0. When I rotate the potentiometer on the front of the panel it goes from 120 to 400hz in the R and F mode but like I said, the fluctuations are only seen in the R mode display. The fluctuations are random and it only occurs randomly with no pattern or RPM association. My power goes from a relay to a noise filter and then to the VFD. I'll alligator clamp the multimeter to the input terminals and run it until it fluctuates but sometimes it goes quite awhile before they occur. You wouldn't happen to know what pins in the ribbon cable are to the potentiometer would you? if not, I'll see if I can find a manual and schematic.
    No, if you are using the Pot I would not bother with that side of it, that is using a 0-5v signal.

Yes, well you should not use it in the R mode and should make sure it is in the F mode at all times

Mactec54