Need Help! Chinese VFD wiring problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese VFD wiring problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Chinese VFD wiring problem

Hello!

I have a CNC router that I bought second hand some years ago. Now I'm updating my motion controller to a new one (C94 from cnc4pc) and switching from mach3 to uccnc. Old wiring was done by the previous owner and the spindle was controlled with the VFD:s own buttons and works fine and I didn't even try to get it to work through Mach.
    The spindle is some Chinese 2.2kw water cooled 24k rpm and the VFD:s label says CT200-2D2G-2. Grid is 230v. Old card was Bsmce04u-plus

Now I would like to control the spindle with uccnc so I need to wire the VFD to the C94. The problem is that the markings on the VFD:s connection pins don't seem to resemble anything that I could find online nor do I have a manual for the VFD and can't seem to find one that has the same markings as the VFD:s connection pins. Pic of the pins and their labels attached.

So I'm pretty lost about what pin is what and I don't know how to figure them out so any help would be appreciated!

Fwd, Rev and Com are pretty self explanatory.
    RA and RB are probably relay related but then I get confused when there is more than one of them as with the other connections too.

Previous owner couldn't get the mach3 spindle controls to work so I'm not even sure the previous wirings were right. They were:

From VFD -> to Motioncard
    X4 -> AVI+
    RA -> AVI-
    FWD -> OUT2
    RA -> IN1
    RB -> COM-

And a jumper from vfd RA to vfd COM as seen in the picture. There were also wires from VFD RA and RB to a mpg outlet.

Maybe the VFD setting are wrong too since it didn't work but first I would like to get the wiring right before jumping into those.

And sorry if this is a dumb question or my explanations are confusing/lack information, it's my first time with CNC wiring

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220709_183405-jpg   Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220707_112136-jpg  

Default Re: Chinese VFD wiring problem

See if these videos help. I found it by searching for 'Nowforever' vfd, a name that was on an Amazon VFD found searching your VFD model.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mozartskugel View Post
    Hello!
    I have a CNC router that I bought second hand some years ago. Now I'm updating my motion controller to a new one (C94 from cnc4pc) and switching from mach3 to uccnc. Old wiring was done by the previous owner and the spindle was controlled with the VFD:s own buttons and works fine and I didn't even try to get it to work through Mach.
    The spindle is some Chinese 2.2kw water cooled 24k rpm and the VFD:s label says CT200-2D2G-2. Grid is 230v. Old card was Bsmce04u-plus
    Now I would like to control the spindle with uccnc so I need to wire the VFD to the C94. The problem is that the markings on the VFD:s connection pins don't seem to resemble anything that I could find online nor do I have a manual for the VFD and can't seem to find one that has the same markings as the VFD:s connection pins. Pic of the pins and their labels attached.
    So I'm pretty lost about what pin is what and I don't know how to figure them out so any help would be appreciated!
    RA and RB are probably relay related but then I get confused when there is more than one of them as with the other connections too.
    Previous owner couldn't get the mach3 spindle controls to work so I'm not even sure the previous wirings were right. They were:
    X4 -> AVI+
    RA -> AVI-
    FWD -> OUT2
    RA -> IN1
    RB -> COM-
    And a jumper from vfd RA to vfd COM as seen in the picture. There were also wires from VFD RA and RB to a mpg outlet.
    Maybe the VFD setting are wrong too since it didn't work but first I would like to get the wiring right before jumping into those.
    And sorry if this is a dumb question or my explanations are confusing/lack information, it's my first time with CNC wiring

You need to post the manual or at least the full wiring diagram. Most of the drives coming up in searches have zero info.

1 thing you are looking for is the 3 wire pot control.
    Normally there will be what looks like a resistor attached to lines going to a COM and a POWER connection (marked in many diff ways). There'll then be a 3rd line in the middle with an ARROW pointing towards the resistor looking bit.
    That 3rd one is the pot wiper which is normally the analog+ for the pot voltage regulation or analog+ from a controller.
    Then the analog-, goes to the com.

So far from looking at connection terminals. I see nothing obvious to suggest the vfd even has any external analog control.
    No obvious power output to power a pot.
    No AIN, AVI, AI, VI, or other normal markings on a wiper.

Here is an example:
    In this the VI is the controller analog 0-10v+ and its analog GND goes to GND.
    The 10v power output is no longer used because the controller becomes external analog power.
    Can you see anything like this in documents?.
    Chinese VFD wiring problem-vfd-potentiometer-png

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese VFD wiring problem-vfd-potentiometer-png  
    Last edited by dazp1976; 07-13-2022 at 07:41 AM.

I believe the OP stated that he did not have nor could find documentation. I think it is all covered in the videos I linked - the 2nd one also discusses a screenshot of the manual page that describes the various pins.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello!

X4 -> AVI+
    RA -> AVI-
    FWD -> OUT2
    RA -> IN1
    RB -> COM-

You have too many wires connected to the VFD Drive and the wrong type of cable you should have only 4 connections and they all will go straight to the Breakout Board

You need to use twisted pair shielded cable for these connections.

There will be some Parameters to change to use Remote Control.

FWD and Com= 0n/0ff you can't use reverse with this spindle, how is this being controlled at the Breakout Board.

Will have to see the VFD Drive manual to say which connections you have to use for Speed control, is this VFD Drive a NowForever VFD Drive

Do you have the PWM to Analog 0-10v working at the Breakout Board?

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TMToronto View Post
    I believe the OP stated that he did not have nor could find documentation. I think it is all covered in the videos I linked - the 2nd one also discusses a screenshot of the manual page that describes the various pins.
    Thats not the same VFD Drive and his is a completely different setup, there are hundreds of VFD Drives and they are all slightly different as to how they are wired /setup

He is also using UCCNC, and the video is on Mach3

He is also using a C94 controller Board from CNC4PC

Just need the manufacturers name on the VFD Drive as I may have its manual.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Without the manual it's hopeless. I've looked into at least 15 drives and no joy finding one with the same contacts.
    I did see one where it showed some relay controls for external devices which were:
    RA-RB or TA-TB = Normally closed
    RA-RC or TA-TC = Normally open

Other than that, meh.
    Give Mactec54 the full manufacturer name etc.

Does it have any jumper pins for switching your speed control option between 0-10v or 20ma?. You could maybe follow the circuit board track to find the correct connection.
    (that's if it even has voltage speed control input).

Ditch it and get something newer.

Downloads
    Uploads

The wires and connections in the picture are old ones and not the ones i intend to use. I have shielded cable that will be used, just need to know hot to connect it

And I wasn´t going use the reverse function since I dont really even need it but good to know! The breakoutboard has an analog output 0-10v that is intended for spindle control, Relays to control Forward (and reverse). You can see the C94 Bob connection diagram on page 14:
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...ANUAL_V1_1.pdf

As for for who is the VFD manufacturer, I´m not really sure. Only markings on the vfd are the ones in the pics of my starting post and a logo with chinese symbols and letters YWN. Pic attached.
    There is also text CT1000-CB-V03 on the pcb under the plastics if that helps.

I havent yet fired up the board to test the 0-10v but it is has this connection and its intended for spindle control from the factory.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220713_225958-jpg   Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220713_152448-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it has two jumpers J1 and J2 which can be set to V or I. They are both set to V.

I have understood also that RA RB etc are related to relays. This one has RA, RB and RC and TA, TB and TC.
    And a confusing bit (at least for me) is that there are Two TA, X4 and RA:s as you can see in the pic of first post. And what is the HDI or AO?

Perhaps i open it and see if i can trace the board

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it has two jumpers J1 and J2 which can be set to V or I. They are both set to V.

I have understood also that RA RB etc are related to relays. This one has RA, RB and RC and TA, TB and TC.
    And a confusing bit (at least for me) is that there are Two TA, X4 and RA:s as you can see in the pic of first post. And what is the HDI or AO?

Perhaps i open it and see if i can trace the board
    So, what was the VFD Drive Relays being used for what where they turning 0n/0ff??

Tracing the Board is not going to tell you what each terminal is doing.

If the VFD Drive was being used as remote control before then you should be able to use it as is, and may not have to change much

Normally for the 0n/0ff it would be connected to FWD and Com to a relay on your C94 so M3 will turn one of your Relay 0n/0ff (Once Configured) so get (1) of the Relay outputs in the C94 working with M3, then connect it to the VFD Drive, FWD and Com, the VFD Drive can then be started

Check on the sides / back of the VFD to see if there is a Name plate this is where all the specs and manufacture will be

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    So, what was the VFD Drive Relays being used for what where they turning 0n/0ff??

Tracing the Board is not going to tell you what each terminal is doing.

If the VFD Drive was being used as remote control before then you should be able to use it as is, and may not have to change much

Normally for the 0n/0ff it would be connected to FWD and Com to a relay on your C94 so M3 will turn one of your Relay 0n/0ff (Once Configured) so get (1) of the Relay outputs in the C94 working with M3, then connect it to the VFD Drive, FWD and Com, the VFD Drive can then be started

Check on the sides / back of the VFD to see if there is a Name plate this is where all the specs and manufacture will be
    To my knowledge the vfd didn´t control any other devices previously, it was wired but the owner didn´t get it to work. Or atleast thats what he told me and I didnt notice it doing anything to other devices either.

The vfd was controlled with its own control interface and buttons manually; toggling it on and off and manually adjusting the rpm and so forth.
    Looking at how it was wired I think he tried to use one of the Vfd:s relays to trigger E-Stop if it bogged down or if E-stop was pressed on an MGP because the RA was connected to BOB:s input 1 which was the E-stop input.

I double checked the vfd and took pics of the only marking it has, attachments. On the pcb inside it says CT1000-CB-V03 and CT1000-PBV09

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_175906-jpg   Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_175915-jpg   Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_175936-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh boy!

I found the contact info from the previous owner and he dug a little and found a Manual!
    Downside is its all in Chinese. And it doesn´t seem to have exactly the same input pin information, for example no mention of HDI.

I asked him to take some pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_174129-jpg   Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_174158-jpg   Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_174204-jpg   Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_174242-jpg  

Chinese VFD wiring problem-img_20220714_175216-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh boy!

I found the contact info from the previous owner and he dug a little and found a Manual!
    Downside is its all in Chinese. And it doesn´t seem to have exactly the same input pin information, for example no mention of HDI.

I asked him to take some pics
    It looks wrong. For instance your vfd doesnt go up to X7. Only up to X4.

Question. Is that dial on the front used to change speed?.
    If so, can you figure out which is the +ve, wiper and gnd on it?. If so get a voltage reading between the +ve and gnd and see if it's 10-12vdc?.
    Your AI1!/GND could be at a different location so it's relative to internal control via the dial.

There are no guarantees that this vfd was even made to be compatible with an external speed control source.

By now I would have given Mactec54 my spindle motor specs so he could advise me on a suitable replacement vfd. Yaskawa or Hy etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, i noticed something and formulated a funny theory.

The green input pin "blocks" or what they are called are as a group of 3 pins, between you can see a seam between them. WHAT IF the blocks at the left side are wrongly labeled? Or whoever assembled it has accidentally soldered a wrong "block" with HDI, COM, TA labels on the upper row and X4, COM, RA on the lower row when they should be 485+ 485- 10v and AI1 AI2 GND?

Because all other pin labels match the ones on the manual the previous owner found. Pic attached.
    I realize this is a bit far fetched but if this would be true i can easily wire the Vfd, i need to try it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chinese VFD wiring problem-virhe-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    It looks wrong. For instance your vfd doesnt go up to X7. Only up to X4.

Question. Is that dial on the front used to change speed?.
    If so, can you figure out which is the +ve, wiper and gnd on it?. If so get a voltage reading between the +ve and gnd and see if it's 10-12vdc?.
    Your AI1!/GND could be at a different location so it's relative to internal control via the dial.

There are no guarantees that this vfd was even made to be compatible with an external speed control source.

By now I would have given Mactec54 my spindle motor specs so he could advise me on a suitable replacement vfd. Yaskawa or Hy etc.
    Yes you are right, it doesn´t look to be 100% exact. The manual does include the same CT200-2D2G-2 code in the versions list though.

And yes, the dial is what was used to control the spindle speed. I´ll try to figure those out!
    And yes I´m starting to believe it may not have the control option, would be a shame since it works otherwise well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, i noticed something and formulated a funny theory.

The green input pin "blocks" or what they are called are as a group of 3 pins, between you can see a seam between them. WHAT IF the blocks at the left side are wrongly labeled? Or whoever assembled it has accidentally soldered a wrong "block" with HDI, COM, TA labels on the upper row and X4, COM, RA on the lower row when they should be 485+ 485- 10v and AI1 AI2 GND?

Because all other pin labels match the ones on the manual the previous owner found. Pic attached.
    I realize this is a bit far fetched but if this would be true i can easily wire the Vfd, i need to try it
    Anything is possible. Putting a voltmeter between the 10v and GND is a way of determining it, should get between 10-12v reading. However, if your wrong there's no telling what may happen.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes you are right, it doesn´t look to be 100% exact. The manual does include the same CT200-2D2G-2 code in the versions list though.

And yes, the dial is what was used to control the spindle speed. I´ll try to figure those out!
    And yes I´m starting to believe it may not have the control option, would be a shame since it works otherwise well.
    So, the other guy wired to anything he thought would work, so disregard everything he did as none of it was correct.

You don't need to bother with trying to figure this out, I have already given you the setup for 0n/0ff that is not going to change

The speed control is also straight forward, the thing that we may have a little trouble with is the Parameters that need to be changed for remote control so a Parameter page will of more help than the drive I/0 diagram

When you get your control up and running Relay and 0-10v output working then we will get the VFD Drive running, there is nothing too hard with the VFD Drive wiring just 4 wires to connect

The only connections on your green terminal Blocks will be FWD and Com=0N/0FF speed control I will have to check some more

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So, the other guy wired to anything he thought would work, so disregard everything he did as none of it was correct.

You don't need to bother with trying to figure this out, I have already given you the setup for 0n/0ff that is not going to change

The speed control is also straight forward, the thing that we may have a little trouble with is the Parameters that need to be changed for remote control so a Parameter page will of more help than the drive I/0 diagram

When you get your control up and running Relay and 0-10v output working then we will get the VFD Drive running, there is nothing too hard with the VFD Drive wiring just 4 wires to connect

The only connections on your green terminal Blocks will be FWD and Com=0N/0FF speed control I will have to check some more
    Yes the On/Off connection is clear, there is no problem with that. Sorry if I made it seem so
    The problem was where to wire the 0-10v on the vfd side but I suspect that it should be connected to the (probably wrongly labeled) X4 and RA.

But yeah, I will get everything else ready next on the controller side and get you pics of the Parameter sides!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the On/Off connection is clear, there is no problem with that. Sorry if I made it seem so
    The problem was where to wire the 0-10v on the vfd side but I suspect that it should be connected to the (probably wrongly labeled) X4 and RA.

But yeah, I will get everything else ready next on the controller side and get you pics of the Parameter sides!
    RA has nothing to do with any connections you will be using, we may have to try and see, if it is X4 it would be paired with Com so quite simple as one of the connections will always be Com in your case for the 0-10v just the same as the connection for the 0N/0FF it will use a Com connection as well

The hardest part will be finding which Parameters to set, so look for these pages in the manual, as it stands you know it was running from the KeyPad so when you get this setup and running from the KeyPad and the Relay / 0-10v is working from the control Board then we will have something to work with

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

RA has nothing to do with any connections you will be using, we may have to try and see, if it is X4 it would be paired with Com so quite simple as one of the connections will always be Com in your case for the 0-10v just the same as the connection for the 0N/0FF it will use a Com connection as well

The hardest part will be finding which Parameters to set, so look for these pages in the manual, as it stands you know it was running from the KeyPad so when you get this setup and running from the KeyPad and the Relay / 0-10v is working from the control Board then we will have something to work with
    I got the manual from the previous owner, he scanned it for me and its avaliable as a pfd file in onedrive: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ak7vWGeWN-GMdKRpabISAJ2JdN4

I´m still working on with the controller setup but i will let you know when its all done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast