Continuity between ground and hot on Chinese 110v VFD?!

Thread: Continuity between ground and hot on Chinese 110v VFD?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Continuity between ground and hot on Chinese 110v VFD?!

There are so many conflicting "opinions" on how to wire up a Chinese VFD/Spindle bundle. My VFD in particular is rated as a "110v 2.2kw" version.

My spindle (unplugged) had continuity from pin 4 to the spindle exterior, so I assume that means the ground wire was indeed hooked up correctly inside the casing.

Now plugged in to the VFD I cannot understand why I am getting continuity from anything I touch. Shouldn't the ground terminal not have continuity to the other leads (S & T on the VFD in my circumstance)

maybe I am just confusing myself, but seeing this I want to make sure it is safe before I burn up the equipment (or my house God forbid)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Continuity between ground and hot on Chinese 110v VFD?!

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown4220 View Post
    There are so many conflicting "opinions" on how to wire up a Chinese VFD/Spindle bundle. My VFD in particular is rated as a "110v 2.2kw" version.

My spindle (unplugged) had continuity from pin 4 to the spindle exterior, so I assume that means the ground wire was indeed hooked up correctly inside the casing.

Now plugged in to the VFD I cannot understand why I am getting continuity from anything I touch. Shouldn't the ground terminal not have continuity to the other leads (S & T on the VFD in my circumstance)

maybe I am just confusing myself, but seeing this I want to make sure it is safe before I burn up the equipment (or my house God forbid)
    No there should not be continuity to any other wires to Ground you have a dead short somewhere if you do, post some photos of the VFD Drive wiring and the spindle, don't power this up until this is solved

Hot / Live can't have continuity to Ground if it does you have a big problem, don't power this up until it is fixed

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

You did say you ran this spindle and it was ok, what Parameters did you set in the VFD Drive, can you list what your Parameter settings where when you run it.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You did say you ran this spindle and it was ok, what Parameters did you set in the VFD Drive, can you list what your Parameter settings where when you run it.
    a youtube video had originally said to hook ground upto "R" and neutral to "S" and live to "T" . so by doing that, yes it worked just fine but my VFD was not grounded. Now that I have grounded it, I am getting resistance between all pins

Downloads
    Uploads

a youtube video had originally said to hook ground upto "R" and neutral to "S" and live to "T" . so by doing that, yes it worked just fine but my VFD was not grounded. Now that I have grounded it, I am getting resistance between all pins

The input Power connection is incorrect, R=Hot Neutral =T and Ground to the Ground Terminal, most videos on YouTube are very miss leading and should not be used or referred too, the manual is what you should be using, not some uncertified video on YouTube

If you had Ground connected to the R Terminal, you would of damaged the VFD Drive and it now has a Dead Short

The wiring does not look the best, this type of wiring needs to be very well done, and the correct cables used

The cables you are using don't look to be correct type for the job

You could try wiring the VFD Drive correct without the spindle connected to start with, then check the cable with your meter to see if you don't have a short in the Plug the wires are close in the plug and can easy touch if the wiring is not carefully done

Mactec54