CNC Spindle Motor - 2.2 KW Water cooled and VFD - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CNC Spindle Motor - 2.2 KW Water cooled and VFD

Default Re: CNC Spindle Motor - 2.2 KW Water cooled and VFD

Months ago I had a very hard time finding the VFDs I had decided on - Hitachi WJ200 and Omron MX2 - in stock anywhere (I am in Canada). I finally found the MX2 for a reasonable price and for what I was told would be a 4-5 week shipping time, but unfortunately I am still waiting to receive it. In the meantime I have had time to build the other systems for my Jianken JGL ATC spindle, so that has made the wait tolerable.

I wanted a VFD from a manufacturer that is established, has a good reputation, and provides the level of documentation I would expect for such an important and somewhat sophisticated component. I also have access to support through the forums for this particular VFD which also helps. It would have been the same for the WJ200, and the HY VFDs as well, but like you at some point I had to make a educated decision, and one I personally was happy with. I know there are many other high quality VFD manufacturers and VFDs at much higher price points, and many people are happy with and have great success with HY products that come at a lower cost but are also feature rich. Some advice and opinion given in forums has highlighted that my choice brings with it unnecessary extra costs as a rebranded Hitachi, and with many features I will never use. This may or may not prove to be true, and right now with my limited experience I would not know. But for me starting out, I feel I have made a good investment in a VFD that will perform well, has all the features I need now and perhaps in the future, and that is also well supported. I respect and value all the experienced opinions provided in forums such as this, but it makes it difficult at times to make a decision because they are all so different and often opposing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TMToronto View Post
    Months ago I had a very hard time finding the VFDs I had decided on - Hitachi WJ200 and Omron MX2 - in stock anywhere (I am in Canada). I finally found the MX2 for a reasonable price and for what I was told would be a 4-5 week shipping time, but unfortunately I am still waiting to receive it. In the meantime I have had time to build the other systems for my Jianken JGL ATC spindle, so that has made the wait tolerable.

I wanted a VFD from a manufacturer that is established, has a good reputation, and provides the level of documentation I would expect for such an important and somewhat sophisticated component. I also have access to support through the forums for this particular VFD which also helps. It would have been the same for the WJ200, and the HY VFDs as well, but like you at some point I had to make a educated decision, and one I personally was happy with. I know there are many other high quality VFD manufacturers and VFDs at much higher price points, and many people are happy with and have great success with HY products that come at a lower cost but are also feature rich. Some advice and opinion given in forums has highlighted that my choice brings with it unnecessary extra costs as a rebranded Hitachi, and with many features I will never use. This may or may not prove to be true, and right now with my limited experience I would not know. But for me starting out, I feel I have made a good investment in a VFD that will perform well, has all the features I need now and perhaps in the future, and that is also well supported. I respect and value all the experienced opinions provided in forums such as this, but it makes it difficult at times to make a decision because they are all so different and often opposing.
    It is confusing when there are many posts about the same thing, you should only read into and use the people that have years of experience in the subject, as most that post have little to no real- world experience, and have only done one install for themselves, (so, it is always going to be the best even if it is not) at the end of the day they really don't know any more than you do, I myself would never recommend anything unless it has been installed and used in many installs or machine builds with years of proven service, most videos also are very misleading also, as most are there first ever install and full of serious mistakes mostly in wiring of VFD Drives and correct Parameter setting. when a poster keeps posting about themselves you have a good idea that there real experience on the subject is limited

Mactec54

The points you mention are one of the reasons I frequent this and similar forums, and over time have come to trust and consider the experienced advice from members like yourself and others. The healthy discussions and debates that often arise are also beneficial. It is a great starting point for information that helps new-comers like myself start building that personal experience, and building opinions based on that.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have to second that TMToronto, I am the same,as in I have found other members in other forums, about various subjects and technologies, that I have come to learn that they know what they are talking about and are indeed very knowledgeable and have real experience.

Although I do end up making up my own mind, this is based on a lot of good information gathered in posts just like this one. I am an engineer and and have been working in Industry since the 80's but as there are so many products out there, which aim to provide the same solution, some are good and some not so good and the only real way is to either test and experience them yourself or speak to someone who has.

My idea initially was to buy the cheapest VFD / Spidle I could find, and although I cannot really justify the cost, I have ended up spending far more than I wanted to and should have done, but then I have also bought other products over the years and totally regretted buying cheap.
    One thing I have learnt is to buy the best you can afford, and if that means waiting while you save up the pennies then so be it.

Forums like this one and all the people that have replied have proved invaluable in my decision making process.

And just like you I have an MX2 drive on the way to me (3 Weeks) and I know it has far more features than I will ever use but I hope and feel I have made the right choice. Saying that I would have ordered the Hitachi S1 over the MX2 if I found somewhere that had stock and was at a good price.

Thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234