Need Help! Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?

Thread: Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?

I have a Onefinity Journeyman CNC and subsequently ordered a VFD/spindle setup for it. I already had a 110v Huanyang 1.5kw VFD and 110v Huanyang 800w water-cooled spindle for it which worked well but was too underpowered.

I've recently moved and decided to give the CNC an upgrade:
    220v Huanyang 4kw GT-series VFD (GT-4ROG-2Z to be exact) and 220v Huanyang 2.2kw water-cooled spindle.

----- Firstly, should I get a different VFD? I have until Jan 31st (Monday) to return it, so I need to act quickly... I'm fine with spending some extra coin on a Hitachi or something as long as the programming/documentation is a little more straight forward.

Honestly when I purchased the VFD I didn't realized it was the GT series. Turns out it has a little different programming with very little documentation as far as I can find. I did a factory reset on the new 4kw VFD and then changed to the parameters below. I then did an autotune. I haven't RS485 connected to my Onefinity controller yet, but based on my spindle, I configured the VFD to the following:

P0.00 1
    P0.01 0
    P0.02 0
    P0.03 400
    P0.04 400
    P0.05 100
    P0.06 400
    P0.07 0
    P0.08 0
    P0.09 0
    P0.10 0
    P0.11 8
    P0.12 8
    P0.13 0
    P0.14 6
    P0.15 1
    P0.16 0
    P0.17 0

P1.00 0
    P1.01 10
    P1.02 - P1.19 0

P2.00 0
    P2.01 2.2
    P2.02 400
    P2.03 24000
    P2.04 220
    P2.05 9
    P2.06 .741
    P2.07 14.114
    P2.08 .1
    P2.09 .1
    P2.10 2

P7.14 4
    P7.15 16
    P7.16 2

Pc.00 1
    Pc.01 4
    Pc.02 1
    Pc.03 5
    Pc.04 0
    Pc.05 1
    Pc.06 0

When I hit 'run' it emits a high-pitched whine and the spindle doesn't spin (although it's stiffer, as if it's getting some power) and the potentiometer does nothing. It seemed to spin up just fine during the autotune.. What's up?

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-img_2180-jpg   Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-img_2181-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryWangman View Post
    I have a Onefinity Journeyman CNC and subsequently ordered a VFD/spindle setup for it. I already had a 110v Huanyang 1.5kw VFD and 110v Huanyang 800w water-cooled spindle for it which worked well but was too underpowered.

I've recently moved and decided to give the CNC an upgrade:
    220v Huanyang 4kw GT-series VFD (GT-4ROG-2Z to be exact) and 220v Huanyang 2.2kw water-cooled spindle.

----- Firstly, should I get a different VFD? I have until Jan 31st (Monday) to return it, so I need to act quickly... I'm fine with spending some extra coin on a Hitachi or something as long as the programming/documentation is a little more straight forward.

Honestly when I purchased the VFD I didn't realized it was the GT series. Turns out it has a little different programming with very little documentation as far as I can find. I did a factory reset on the new 4kw VFD and then changed to the parameters below. I then did an autotune. I haven't RS485 connected to my Onefinity controller yet, but based on my spindle, I configured the VFD to the following:

P0.00 1
    P0.01 0
    P0.02 0
    P0.03 400
    P0.04 400
    P0.05 100
    P0.06 400
    P0.07 0
    P0.08 0
    P0.09 0
    P0.10 0
    P0.11 8
    P0.12 8
    P0.13 0
    P0.14 6
    P0.15 1
    P0.16 0
    P0.17 0

P1.00 0
    P1.01 10
    P1.02 - P1.19 0

P2.00 0
    P2.01 2.2
    P2.02 400
    P2.03 24000
    P2.04 220
    P2.05 9
    P2.06 .741
    P2.07 14.114
    P2.08 .1
    P2.09 .1
    P2.10 2

P7.14 4
    P7.15 16
    P7.16 2

Pc.00 1
    Pc.01 4
    Pc.02 1
    Pc.03 5
    Pc.04 0
    Pc.05 1
    Pc.06 0

When I hit 'run' it emits a high-pitched whine and the spindle doesn't spin (although it's stiffer, as if it's getting some power) and the potentiometer does nothing. It seemed to spin up just fine during the autotune.. What's up?
    You need to be in V/F mode, I have not checked your Parameters, the GT Hy VFD Drive is very good, and once it is setup correct it will run that spindle fine, the Pot not working means there are Parameters not set correct

Auto Tune does not work correct for these High Frequency spindles

So don't run it until I check the Parameters, or you might cause damage to the spindle.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I know I wasn't supposed to run it but after a bunch more researching I think I got it working...

I changed P0.00 from 1 to 0 (V/F mode) and P0.07 from 0 to 1 (potentiometer) and it seems to run perfectly!
    I also changed P0.11 and P0.12 from 8 to 4 so that it spins up/down quicker. Can I safely go even lower than this?

Should I change P2.05 to 10 amps instead of 9 amps?

Also, should I do another factory reset to clear the values that it may have changed from Auto Tune? (I'm guessing that's where P2.06 and P2.07 values came from, but not sure)

Downloads
    Uploads

I know I wasn't supposed to run it but after a bunch more researching I think I got it working...

I changed P0.00 from 1 to 0 (V/F mode) and P0.07 from 0 to 1 (potentiometer) and it seems to run perfectly!
    I also changed P0.11 and P0.12 from 8 to 4 so that it spins up/down quicker. Can I safely go even lower than this?

Should I change P2.05 to 10 amps instead of 9 amps?

Also, should I do another factory reset to clear the values that it may have changed from Auto Tune? (I'm guessing that's where P2.06 and P2.07 values came from, but not sure)
    What spindle do you have is the name plate have 10A?

Yes, you can lower the ramp up to speed and ramp down, most don't get lower than 3 sec, without a Breaking Resistor, so 4sec is a good number.

Here are the basic Parameters that need to be set, for normal running

If you have set anything else, then you will need to do a Parameter Reset
    GT 400Hz 220v 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle Settings

P0.00=0 ( or 1 For Vector Control)

P0.01=0

P0.02=3

P0.03=400

P0.04=400

P0.05=120 ( 100 Minimum)

P0.06=400

P0.07=1 (Pot Control)

P0.11=8 ( adjustable Acceleration)

P0.12=8 ( adjustable Deceleration)

P0.14= 6 ( 6 to 8 )

P0.17= ( 1 to Restore Factory Defaults) (2 clears all Faults)

P1.01=10

P1.02=0

P2.01=2.2 ( Motor Kw Rating)
    P2.02=400
    P2.03=24000
    P2.04=220
    P2.05=8.5 ( Depending on Spindle Name Plate Amp Rating )

P7.14= ?? (VFD Rated KW)

P7.15= ?? (VFD Rated output Amps)

Once these Parameters are set, you can try and use Autotune, you set Parameter P016=1 and Press Run, (The Spindle Must Be Clear to Run)

For main wiring connect R Hot T Hot and Ground to the Ground Terminal, this is your connection for NA 240v single Phase

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's what's written on the spindle:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-img_2192-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's what's written on the spindle:
    Those spindles are normally 8.5A to 9A max and are 2 Pole=1 Pole Pair for your Parameter setting.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

After assembling the rest of my cabinet for the OneFinity, I've applied all of these settings and can't get the spindle to rotate using the controller. It will spin using the potentiometer but not when running a carve. I can run a ghost carve and the CNC goes through all the xyz motions but the spindle never spins up. Not sure what setting I have incorrect...

Downloads
    Uploads

After assembling the rest of my cabinet for the OneFinity, I've applied all of these settings and can't get the spindle to rotate using the controller. It will spin using the potentiometer but not when running a carve. I can run a ghost carve and the CNC goes through all the xyz motions but the spindle never spins up. Not sure what setting I have incorrect...
    These 2 Parameters control what mode you are in, you may have to change these numbers

Are you using a relay for the On / Off control?

Do you have the 0-10v working at the board before the drive is connected?

P0.01=1 0-2 setting
    Po.02=2 0-3 setting

S1-Com Remote control On / Off

Al1-GND 0-10v speed control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Whelp, I've tried factory resetting the VFD and tried all variations of P0.01 and P0.02 as well as P0.07 and PC.02 to no avail. I even tried swapping the - and + of my RS-485 wires. I then hooked up my old 1.5KW HY VFD and it says "ok" in the tool status configuration. So I know it isn't a wiring issue which is nice...

To answer your questions, no I'm not using a relay for on/off control. Not sure what S1 is or what AI1-GND 0-10 speed control means.
    Thanks btw for helping to get this configured Mactec54, much appreciated.

also, what's the difference between "1: Terminal" and "2: Communication" ? (referring to P0.01)

Maybe I could try moving some of the jumpers..?

Here's where I'm at now:

P0.00 0 V/F speed control model
    P0.01 1 Terminal run command source
    P0.02 2 Invalid: terminal up/down cleared automatically
    P0.03 400
    P0.04 400
    P0.05 100
    P0.06 400
    P0.07 1 AI1 Frequency A command source What is this? Should it be set to 7? The manual says “7. Remote Communication – The frequency command is given by the upper monitor through communication given. Please refer to MODBUS communication protocol in chapter 9.”
    P0.08 0 AI1 Frequency B command source
    P0.10 0 Only frequency command source A is active
    P0.14 6 Carrier Frequency

P1.00 0 Start Mode
    P1.01 10 Starting Frequency (default is 1.50Hz)

PC.01 3 9600 baud
    PC.02 0 This one has me stumped. Default is 0 (see attached manual reference). Should it be 3?

*Sorry about the image orientations, not sure why this forum makes them all landscape when uploaded.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-cabinet-vfd-controller-jpg   Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-vfd-wiring-jpg   Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-p0-07-1-jpg   Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-p0-07-2-jpg  

Should I keep this Huanyang GT-series VFD?-pc-02-jpg  
    Last edited by JerryWangman; 02-23-2022 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Image Orientation

Downloads
    Uploads

Whelp, I've tried factory resetting the VFD and tried all variations of P0.01 and P0.02 as well as P0.07 and PC.02 to no avail. I even tried swapping the - and + of my RS-485 wires. I then hooked up my old 1.5KW HY VFD and it says "ok" in the tool status configuration. So I know it isn't a wiring issue which is nice...

To answer your questions, no I'm not using a relay for on/off control. Not sure what S1 is or what AI1-GND 0-10 speed control means.
    Thanks btw for helping to get this configured Mactec54, much appreciated.

also, what's the difference between "1: Terminal" and "2: Communication" ? (referring to P0.01)

Maybe I could try moving some of the jumpers..?

Here's where I'm at now:

P0.00 0 V/F speed control model
    P0.01 1 Terminal run command source
    P0.02 2 Invalid: terminal up/down cleared automatically
    P0.03 400
    P0.04 400
    P0.05 100
    P0.06 400
    P0.07 1 AI1 Frequency A command source What is this? Should it be set to 7? The manual says “7. Remote Communication – The frequency command is given by the upper monitor through communication given. Please refer to MODBUS communication protocol in chapter 9.”
    P0.08 0 AI1 Frequency B command source
    P0.10 0 Only frequency command source A is active
    P0.14 6 Carrier Frequency

P1.00 0 Start Mode
    P1.01 10 Starting Frequency (default is 1.50Hz)

PC.01 3 9600 baud
    PC.02 0 This one has me stumped. Default is 0 (see attached manual reference). Should it be 3?

*Sorry about the image orientations, not sure why this forum makes them all landscape when uploaded.
    You should have said you were using Modbus to start with.

Resetting is not going to solve anything in fact, it can cause more problems than you need, I don't know of anyone using RS485 control with this GT series HY VFD Drive, the plugin you used for the old HY VFD Drive will not work for this GT Drive, the plugin for the regular HY VFD Drive was custom just for those drives.

So, you will have to start from scratch with this HY GT drive, as the Plugin will not work for it.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

By "plugin" do you mean the breakout adapter or the Huanyang VFD option in the OneFinity Dropdown?

And will I be able to get this VFD working or should I order a different one? Unfortunately I can't return this one now.

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought Modbus was the only way to connect the OneFinity controller to the VFD.. using the breakout board and RS485.

What do you mean by start from scratch? A new VFD?

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought Modbus was the only way to connect the OneFinity controller to the VFD.. using the breakout board and RS485.

What do you mean by start from scratch? A new VFD?
    Start from scratch, to configure the Modbus, as it won't be the same as the regular HY VFD Drive, you should be talking to OneFinity there is probably not much to change.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

By "plugin" do you mean the breakout adapter or the Huanyang VFD option in the OneFinity Dropdown?

And will I be able to get this VFD working or should I order a different one? Unfortunately I can't return this one now.
    Yes, it sounds like OneFinity has it already configured for the regular HY VFD Drive, that will not work for the GT HY VFD Drive, OneFinity most likely can make some changes to make it work

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, wonderful. Here is my reply from OneFinity: "We do not support spindles in any way. If you choose to go the spindle route, you'll need to rely on the community for assistance. Links to the community are in our signature."

So... if anyone is reading this, DO NOT buy a GT-series VFD and expect it to work with the OneFinity Controller. Get an HY-series.

I just ordered an HY-series inverter. (HY HUANYANG CNC VFD 220V 4.0KW 5.0HP Variable Frequency Drive Motor Inverter Converter for Spindle Motor Speed Control) from Amazon to be specific. Model # HY04D023B

I'll post again on this thread if I have any issues with the new VFD.

Here's the link to the VFD I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, wonderful. Here is my reply from OneFinity: "We do not support spindles in any way. If you choose to go the spindle route, you'll need to rely on the community for assistance. Links to the community are in our signature."

So... if anyone is reading this, DO NOT buy a GT-series VFD and expect it to work with the OneFinity Controller. Get an HY-series.

I just ordered an HY-series inverter. (HY HUANYANG CNC VFD 220V 4.0KW 5.0HP Variable Frequency Drive Motor Inverter Converter for Spindle Motor Speed Control) from Amazon to be specific. Model # HY04D023B

I'll post again on this thread if I have any issues with the new VFD.

Here's the link to the VFD I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    There is nothing wrong with the Huanyang GT VFD Drive, it's better than the one you are replacing it with, the problem is with OneFinity who would buy a control like this that does not have a full range of options that can run different VFD Drive, there is more than one why to run a VFD Drive from a Control

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If your controller is based on the Buildbotics, you might find some help in the manual;

Buildbotics Controller Manual (V1.1)

Downloads
    Uploads

Go to the Facebook group for Onefinity and Jason Stewart can help you sort it out. You can also log onto the OF forum and get settings for these HY VFDs. Lots of posts there.

BTW, Onefinity is very clear that they do not support spindle installs. I don't blame them with all the Chinese stuff out there that is a crap shoot.

Did you try asking your question in the 1F forum as well? There may be someone there that is using this variant of HY VFD. Also, 1F's response is not surprising as they have made it very clear from the beginning of launch that they will not support spindle installs. It's unfortunate to not use what looks to be a very good VFD - good luck with your new one and set-up.

Downloads
    Uploads

New here, mostly because I have just found this thread and it’s good timing.

Would the OP mind if I jumped in and asked some questions pertaining to my Huanyang GT series inverter and spindle? I am also having some issues getting mine up and running properly, however, I am constantly getting an OC3 error code (overcurrent at constant speed), even though I believe everything to be set correctly.

If nobody objects to keeping this in the same thread, would anyone have any idea of what could be causing this? I am fairly new to VFDs. VFD is Huanyang 4.0kW GT series, spindle is 4.0kW air cooled.

Thanks!