New Machine Build HQD SPINDLE

Thread: HQD SPINDLE

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HQD SPINDLE

4 core flexible with minimum core of 4mm. ideally braided. earth the braid at vfd end only

UCCNC powered uk machine sales
    https://cncrouter.uk/atc-cnc-routers.htm

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HQD SPINDLE

You need flexible shielded 4 wire cable (or 6 wire if the spindle has an electric fan) and it needs to be sized for the number of amps.

Look at the spindle name plate to see how many amps it states. For example, my spindle is rated 220v 20a so I used 12awg shielded cable like this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/shielded-cable/motor-cable/

For the wire from the VFD to the power supply, it doesn't need to be shielded but it might need to be larger than the cable from VFD to spindle.

For example, I run my 20a 3ph spindle from a 1ph 240v outlet. To output 20a 3ph the VFD draws 34a 1ph so I use 8awg unshielded cable.

Ideally, it should state how many amps your VFD draws to output it's rated amps in the manual. But... not always.

If you are using a 3ph power source for a 3ph VFD it should be close enough for you to use the same size cable (as the one from vfd to spindle). It can't hurt to go one size up to be safe though....

If your spindle is an ATC one then you'll need a seperate cable for all the signals. I'm not sure if these needed to be shielded or not. Maybe someone who owns an ATC can weigh in.