Looking for a new spindle - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Looking for a new spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a new spindle

Quote Originally Posted by edfang View Post
    Mactec this isn’t from me. I was just pointing out that avid themselves had a blurb about it and quoted it. And that their alum extrusion platforms have the option for that hiteco qb-1f 6.5 spindle - and it has options for both single and 3 phase. I’m not saying it’s applicable, whether it’s ideal or anything else. Just indicating that that 8.7hp on single phase is not true. They specifically say - it’s lower powered by 27 percent when operating in single phase mode.

They're a machine tool company, they're likey bias, and will say anything just to flog their own s**t. (As many do).
    Information from independent sources unaffiliated with any companies is normally more reliable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edfang View Post
    Mactec this isn’t from me. I was just pointing out that avid themselves had a blurb about it and quoted it. And that their alum extrusion platforms have the option for that hiteco qb-1f 6.5 spindle - and it has options for both single and 3 phase. I’m not saying it’s applicable, whether it’s ideal or anything else. Just indicating that that 8.7hp on single phase is not true. They specifically say - it’s lower powered by 27 percent when operating in single phase mode.
    There is a lot of information, that is copied from companies' web sites, unless you know for sure that it is factual, then you should not post about it. it only creates confusion for others that are trying to gather some kind of knowledge about VFD Drives and Spindles for their machine.

If you lower the power input on something like this, you end up with a very wimpy motor, so the whole exercise of having a larger spindle motor is not worth even trying, if you don't have the power supply to support it, now you said something in your post that would make this work, and that was to use 3Ph at 30A this would make sense, but not using single phase at 30A for the same install would not work out well.

There statement of 27% lower power is ridicules.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Guys, I think I am still a little confused except now I own a spindle that I think I got a pretty good deal on plus a new VFD. So from what I gather I must wire this with a 3 conductor 6g wire and a 55a circuit which is no problem. What is the correct wiring to the spindle? If this spindle is derated can I use a 30a wire for it?
    What is this this actually derated to? If you use Avids suggestion of 27% loss I am still between 5 & 5.5HP which is pretty darn good for only having $1k in a PDS spindle and VFD (thanks GOEMON) Is there anything else I need to be cautious about since I am going to start wiring this week.
    The 220v is no problems for me but I am not a 3 phase person so I am trying to learn as I go. Does anyone know of some good videos on setting up VFD's?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RufusToad View Post
    Hi Guys, I think I am still a little confused except now I own a spindle that I think I got a pretty good deal on plus a new VFD. So from what I gather I must wire this with a 3 conductor 6g wire and a 55a circuit which is no problem. What is the correct wiring to the spindle? If this spindle is derated can I use a 30a wire for it?
    What is this this actually derated to? If you use Avids suggestion of 27% loss I am still between 5 & 5.5HP which is pretty darn good for only having $1k in a PDS spindle and VFD (thanks GOEMON) Is there anything else I need to be cautious about since I am going to start wiring this week.
    The 220v is no problems for me but I am not a 3 phase person so I am trying to learn as I go. Does anyone know of some good videos on setting up VFD's?

If you have the power to drive it, and the right size VFD Drive, then there is no Derating.

No, you can't legally wire something that needs a 55A circuit and use it on 30A circuit, that is why they have electrical codes

The VFD Drive to the spindle I have already said what you need for that, the cable needs to be 4 wire Shielded cable, to suit the max name plate amps which was 20A

Call up IGUS and they will have the correct cable for your VFD Drive to spindle, this will be a 4-wire shielded cable rated for 20A continuous. if you want to use 30A for this cable and have the room in the spindle cable gland clamp for this size cable then you could use it, the cable also has to have a high flex rating, the the bigger the cable diameter the stiffer it will be, Z axis is always moving so the cable needs this high flex rating.

Phone, Tec services to get the part number, then order what length you need.
    1800 521 2747
    401 438 7270

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Well you will be happy to hear that I am putting off the 7hp spindle for a little bit until I get my new building and a little more research under my belt. I repurchased a 2.2KW with a Delta VFD. I have a question about the PWM signal coming from Mach. The system I have works off of a 5v reference signal from my smooth stepper to my VFD but the VFD is requiring 10v for this reference. Can you tell me what I can use to step up that PWM signal from 5 to 10v??

Downloads
    Uploads

Well you will be happy to hear that I am putting off the 7hp spindle for a little bit until I get my new building and a little more research under my belt. I repurchased a 2.2KW with a Delta VFD. I have a question about the PWM signal coming from Mach. The system I have works off of a 5v reference signal from my smooth stepper to my VFD but the VFD is requiring 10v for this reference. Can you tell me what I can use to step up that PWM signal from 5 to 10v??
    A small PWM analog converter board.

Looks something like this:

https://opencircuit.shop/product/PWM-to-Analog-0-10V-Converter-Module

Some vfd's may have a jumper setting inside that you can change so it works with either 5v or 10v analog.

Last edited by dazp1976; 01-07-2022 at 06:24 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

What is the delta VFD drive spec's, you may have other options??

Mactec54

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234