VFD for 5.5 kw spindle

Thread: VFD for 5.5 kw spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD for 5.5 kw spindle

I purchased a Jianken 5.5 kw (7.5 hp) spindle and would like opinions on which VFD to purchase for the unit. The spindle is 220v 14.6 amps. I only have 220v single phase available. Would I need to purchase a 15 hp VFD? Or would a 7.5 hp Hitachi P1-00330-LFUF be sufficient?

Thanks for all help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD for 5.5 kw spindle

It would work, but the VFD will be your weak link. A wiser choice would be a 10hp hitachi VFD. Some may call for the 15 hp. but that's overkill, IMHO.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dakmon View Post
    I purchased a Jianken 5.5 kw (7.5 hp) spindle and would like opinions on which VFD to purchase for the unit. The spindle is 220v 14.6 amps. I only have 220v single phase available. Would I need to purchase a 15 hp VFD? Or would a 7.5 hp Hitachi P1-00330-LFUF be sufficient?

Thanks for all help.
    14.5 amps seems low for a 5.5Kw motor

The VFD Drive input rated Amps is the most important when using Single Phase for this 14.6 amps the VFD Drive input amps has to be no less than 27 Amps rated input amps, the supply would want to be 35 / 40 Amps this is right at the max spindle motor size for Single Phase use why did you go so big when you new you where going to run it on Single Phase

So you just can't guess the VFD Drive size buy a big drive is not always the answer

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Really did not think through the VFD prior to purchasing the spindle. Should have gone with a 5 hp spindle, however if I can make it work with a 10 hp VFD I will do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Really did not think through the VFD prior to purchasing the spindle. Should have gone with a 5 hp spindle, however if I can make it work with a 10 hp VFD I will do that.

Actually, you were REALLY SMART to do that. the VFD / 3 phase is constant torque. Hp is torque times RPM. So at 1/2 speed you have half the horses. At 10% speed 10% the horses ya da ya da. So you need the extra power to run low speeds.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Karl, but I have never been accused of being really smart, however sometimes things work out for the better and hopefully that is the case here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the spindle a 2 Pole or a 4 pole and what was the max Hz in the spindle spec's as the VFD has to be able to also have the Hz rating to match your spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    Actually, you were REALLY SMART to do that. the VFD / 3 phase is constant torque. Hp is torque times RPM. So at 1/2 speed you have half the horses. At 10% speed 10% the horses ya da ya da. So you need the extra power to run low speeds.
    No that is incorrect unless you have a VFD Drive that can run in Sensorless Vector Mode which can give you constant torque, a normal V/F drive will not give you constant torque

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54;

Sorry for late reply but it is a 2 pole 400Hz spindle. The Vfd that I am looking at can run in Sensorless Vector Mode. Which would be a wiser choice between these 2 drives?

P1-00460-LFUF
    WJ200-075LF

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54;

Sorry for late reply but it is a 2 pole 400Hz spindle. The Vfd that I am looking at can run in Sensorless Vector Mode. Which would be a wiser choice between these 2 drives?

P1-00460-LFUF
    WJ200-075LF
    Sensorless Vector is the best choice if it will work at up to the 400Hz a lot of Sensorless Vector drives don't function very well at the higher Hz rating and will not auto tune correctly, so you may have to fool the drive and temporary set to a lower Hz setting, ( Like 300Hz ) and then auto tune and then set it back to the 400Hz

The Sensorless Vector Drives will run the spindle a lot smoother normally and have a better overall performance

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I run a 5.6kw / 7.5hp 24,000 rpm 220v 20a PDS 3ph spindle from a domestic 1ph 240v circuit. There's plenty of VFD options at various price points.

I use a Huanyang 7.5kw vfd designed for 220v 1ph in / 220v 3ph out. It works fine and I've been using it to mill aluminum at 24,000 rpm so I've not exactly been babying it.

My 240v circuit is 50a (which is plenty for my spindle).

There's a bunch of other generic Chinese variants on ebay too. E.g.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22440760865...Cclp%3A2334524

There are also VFDs that can run 380v 3ph spindles from 240v 1ph outlet. And ones that go up to 1500hz.

If money is no object then you could just get one of the premium brand VFDs. They don't usually offer 1ph in that size so you'd have to double the size (so a 15hp 3ph vfd to run a 7.5hp 3ph spindle from a 1ph outlet).