Need Help! VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Hi everybody,


    I'm wondering if I can get some help from somebody who might have a similar setup.


    For the past year I have been slowly putting together my CNC and with the help from all the forums including this one, I was able to actually put this thing together. So far everything is working amazingly well. I can load up a program and cut a piece of wood (that's all I have tried so far just cutting hardwood and lumber no aluminum)


    The way I have this thing working is, I will turn on the spindle manually on the VFD and then go to my computer and start the program. All of that is working with no issues.


    What I would like to try to do is wire the VFD to my MB3 board and use Mach 4 to control spindle coming ON at the beginning of the program and turning OFF on the end of the program. I have tried to find some information online but the few things that I have found I did not quite understand, or the person had a different controller board then I have.


    I am wondering if there's anybody here that has a similar setup to mine and can share how exactly they wired their MB3 to a VFD and what settings did they use in Mach4 to have this thing working correctly. I see on my MB3 manual where I must wire the VFD but I am not sure what terminal on my VFD I have to use, and other than enabling Mach4 settings what else must be done to have this thing working properly. If there's anybody that can give me a help with wiring this thing correctly it would be greatly appreciated.


    Darko

    Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-1-4-_resize-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-1-3-_resize-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-1-2-_resize-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-1-1-_resize-jpg  

    VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-vfd-mb3-png  


  2. #2
    Member Sterob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    594
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Hi Darko,
    I have the same BOB but different VFD and I'm using Mach 3.
    I did a drawing for my own benefit, so I attch it here.

    Basically, you need to configure a digital input on you VFB to start when contact closes and stop when it opens, and to accept ( usually ) a 0 to 10VDC speed signal.
    Look in yourVFD manual to identify.

    Hope this helps a bit.


    VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-vfd-connections-mb3-jpg



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    I got help from wessongt on reddit on how to wire it and I got it wired but not sure what to do in mach4.

    i have wired:

    AO on mb3 is going to Vl on vfd
    AG on mb3 is going to ACM on vfd
    CM1 on mb3 is going to FOR on vfd
    NO1 on mb3 is going to DCM on vfd
    CM2 on mb3 is going to REW on vfd
    NO2 on mb3 is going to DCM on vfd


    my VFD settings


    PD000=0
    PD001=1
    PD002=1
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD006=2.5
    PD007=0.50
    PD008=220
    PD009=13
    PD010=6.5
    PD011= 0
    PD013= 08
    PD014=10
    PD015=10
    PD070=0
    PD072=400
    PD073=0
    PD141=220
    PD142= 9
    PD143=4
    PD144=3000

    does this looks like I'm on the right track? What settings do I need to change in mach4, I have tried few things but could not get spindle to work.

    anybody?

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-img_20210609_190849-jpg  


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    I got help from wessongt on reddit on how to wire it and I got it wired but not sure what to do in mach4.

    i have wired:

    AO on mb3 is going to Vl on vfd
    AG on mb3 is going to ACM on vfd
    CM1 on mb3 is going to FOR on vfd
    NO1 on mb3 is going to DCM on vfd
    CM2 on mb3 is going to REW on vfd
    NO2 on mb3 is going to DCM on vfd


    my VFD settings


    PD000=0
    PD001=1
    PD002=1
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD006=2.5
    PD007=0.50
    PD008=220
    PD009=13
    PD010=6.5
    PD011= 0
    PD013= 08
    PD014=10
    PD015=10
    PD070=0
    PD072=400
    PD073=0
    PD141=220
    PD142= 9
    PD143=4
    PD144=3000

    does this looks like I'm on the right track? What settings do I need to change in mach4, I have tried few things but could not get spindle to work.

    anybody?
    What are your spindle spec's, some of the Parameters you list don't look correct for these spindles

    You also don't use Rev for these spindles

    Mactec54


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What are your spindle spec's, some of the Parameters you list don't look correct for these spindles

    You also don't use Rev for these spindles
    The spindle is Huanyung 2.2 kw water cooled spindle HY02D223B

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-img_20210609_134518-jpg  


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    The spindle is Huanyung 2.2 kw water cooled spindle HY02D223B
    Before you connect to the VFD Drive you need to check the 0-10v analog Board output to see if it is working in MDI you can test by using a M3S12000 this should be around 5v until you have this working there is no point of connecting to the VFD Drive the wiring looks correct except there should be no reverse connection

    Main Supply Power Single Phase Connection for this VFD Drive is R /L1 T /L2 and Ground For NA connection

    At a guess your spindle motor spec's are
    220v
    400Hz
    8.5A
    24,000RPM

    Here are the Parameters you need to correct

    Note ( If PD011=100 and PD073=100 Are Changed then PD006 and PD009 will also have to have to be changed to a different calculated Number )

    PD006=150

    PD007=20

    PD009=82

    PD010=11

    PD011=100

    PD014=8 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit )

    PD015=8 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit )

    PD023=0 ( Forward Rotation Only )

    PD073=100

    PD120=110

    PD143=2

    PD174=11

    Mactec54


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Before you connect to the VFD Drive you need to check the 0-10v analog Board output to see if it is working in MDI you can test by using a M3S12000 this should be around 5v until you have this working there is no point of connecting to the VFD Drive the wiring looks correct except there should be no reverse connection <br>
    Ok, I have disconnected wiring to VFD for now.

    In attached pictures you can see my ESS and MACH4 settings.

    If I go to MDI and start spindle M03 S12000 I get 10v and the light on AG AO comes on.
    If I go to MDI and do M03 S24000 I get 10v and the light on AG AO comes on
    If the spindle is not on, the light on MB3 in not on

    I am using MB3 configuration file that I got from manufacturer website so some other thing might be on but is not being used. I'm not that knowledgeable about electronic. This was the only way for me to get this going. If this pictures are hard to see I have copy here https://imgur.com/a/wER8Ve9

    Thanks for your help mactec54

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-spindle-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-spindle-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-screenshot-2-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-screenshot-3-jpg  

    VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-screenshot-4-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-screenshot-5-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-screenshot-6-jpg   VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-screenshot-7-jpg  



  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    Ok, I have disconnected wiring to VFD for now.

    In attached pictures you can see my ESS and MACH4 settings.

    If I go to MDI and start spindle M03 S12000 I get 10v and the light on AG AO comes on.
    If I go to MDI and do M03 S24000 I get 10v and the light on AG AO comes on
    If the spindle is not on, the light on MB3 in not on

    I am using MB3 configuration file that I got from manufacturer website so some other thing might be on but is not being used. I'm not that knowledgeable about electronic. This was the only way for me to get this going. If this pictures are hard to see I have copy here https://imgur.com/a/wER8Ve9

    Thanks for your help mactec54
    I can't read any of the screen shots so don't know if there are set correct or not

    So another test in MDI is to see if the Relay is Closing when you do a M3 and open when you do a M5 ( CM 1 and N0 1 Connection )

    Did you follow the setup for the spindle speed control in the manual there is a lot of information on this setup in the manual

    Mactec54


  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    That is the problem Mactec54, I did read the manual I just don't understand it.
    Are this pictures better, https://imgur.com/a/wER8Ve9



  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    That is the problem Mactec54, I did read the manual I just don't understand it.
    Are this pictures better, https://imgur.com/a/wER8Ve9
    I could see one thing CM1 N01 is not the FOR Relay you have active for the Spindle On /Off you have CM3 N03 so you have to test this Relay output and wire it correct to the VFD Drive to FOR and DCM

    The pulley settings and the PWM are the main things to set the PWM should be 100

    Mactec54


  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    703
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Before you connect to the VFD Drive you need to check the 0-10v analog Board output to see if it is working in MDI you can test by using a M3S12000 this should be around 5v until you have this working there is no point of connecting to the VFD Drive the wiring looks correct except there should be no reverse connection
    Just to pick up on this advice (which is good). When I first tested mine (servo) I probed it first.
    I had 10v at stop & 0v at full speed. Backwards!. Glad I didn't have motor hooked up.
    A change of active low / high solved the problem.
    Definately one for watch for.



  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I could see one thing CM1 N01 is not the FOR Relay you have active for the Spindle On /Off you have CM3 N03 so you have to test this Relay output and wire it correct to the VFD Drive to FOR and DCM

    Ok, i have fixed this now.
    i have:

    AO on mb3
    AG on mb3
    CM3 on mb3
    NO3 on mb3 (the NO3 light on MB3 comes on during M03 S12000)

    No vires are connected to VFD

    I have my meter set to DC

    If I do M03 S12000 in MDI I get 10 mV on my meter touching AO and AG wires
    if I do M03 S24000 in MDI I get 10 mV on my meter touching AO and AG wires

    If I do M05 in MDI I get 30.1 mV on my meter touching AO and AG wires

    If I reverse my meter probes i get -10mV


    The pulley settings and the PWM are the main things to set the PWM should be 100

    I don't understand this, are you referring to this seting.https://imgur.com/a/YNEDIER



  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    Ok, i have fixed this now.
    i have:

    AO on mb3
    AG on mb3
    CM3 on mb3
    NO3 on mb3 (the NO3 light on MB3 comes on during M03 S12000)

    No vires are connected to VFD

    I have my meter set to DC

    If I do M03 S12000 in MDI I get 10 mV on my meter touching AO and AG wires
    if I do M03 S24000 in MDI I get 10 mV on my meter touching AO and AG wires

    If I do M05 in MDI I get 30.1 mV on my meter touching AO and AG wires

    If I reverse my meter probes i get -10mV





    I don't understand this, are you referring to this seting.https://imgur.com/a/YNEDIER
    Just put your meter so that is beeps when you touch the 2 probes together then check the Relay output, with your meter set like this, the meter will beep for M3 On and nothing when M5 Off as simple as that

    Check in Mach4 spindle settings first before you change that setting, these settings need to be setup in Mach4

    Mactec54


  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Just put your meter so that is beeps when you touch the 2 probes together then check the Relay output, with your meter set like this, the meter will beep for M3 On and nothing when M5 Off as simple as that

    Check in Mach4 spindle settings first before you change that setting, these settings need to be setup in Mach4
    OK! i got something right!

    I did continuity test on CM3-FOR and NO3-DCM and i get beep on spindle ON, and no beep on spindle OFF.

    i also was looking in mach4 (configure-control-spindle) and this page is the only one referring to spindle and this is how it looks now.https://imgur.com/a/iCgr7sN



  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    OK! i got something right!

    I did continuity test on CM3-FOR and NO3-DCM and i get beep on spindle ON, and no beep on spindle OFF.

    i also was looking in mach4 (configure-control-spindle) and this page is the only one referring to spindle and this is how it looks now.https://imgur.com/a/iCgr7sN
    Ok so now that can be wired to FOR and DCM

    To do a test of the spindle turning On /Off

    If you have set all the Parameters I gave you for the VFD Drive, you can do a Test without spindle speed control, by changing these Parameters you will be able to control the spindle speed manually if your VFD Drive has a Pot to adjust the speed

    PD002=0

    PD070=1

    J1 Jumper put in position Pins 1-2 closest to the main Terminal block

    Position the Pot from off position to around 1/2 and then you can in MDI do a M3 this will turn the spindle on and you can up/ down the speed with the Pot

    You are half way there if this is working

    Mactec54


  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    OK! i got something right!

    I did continuity test on CM3-FOR and NO3-DCM and i get beep on spindle ON, and no beep on spindle OFF.

    i also was looking in mach4 (configure-control-spindle) and this page is the only one referring to spindle and this is how it looks now.https://imgur.com/a/iCgr7sN
    Yes that is one of the settings in Mach4 it need to be 24000 like this snip then the ESS has to be set also

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS-mach4-png  
    Mactec54


  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Ok so now that can be wired to FOR and DCM

    To do a test of the spindle turning On /Off

    If you have set all the Parameters I gave you for the VFD Drive, you can do a Test without spindle speed control, by changing these Parameters you will be able to control the spindle speed manually if your VFD Drive has a Pot to adjust the speed

    PD002=0

    PD070=1

    J1 Jumper put in position Pins 1-2 closest to the main Terminal block

    Position the Pot from off position to around 1/2 and then you can in MDI do a M3 this will turn the spindle on and you can up/ down the speed with the Pot

    You are half way there if this is working
    Ok, so im going to take my existing parameters and change to the ones you gave me at the beginning of this tread

    PD000=0
    PD001=0
    PD002=0
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD006=150
    PD007=20
    PD008=220
    PD009=82
    PD010=11
    PD011=100
    PD014=8( Acceleration Adjust to suit )
    PD015=8( Deceleration Adjust to suit )
    PD023=0( Forward Rotation Only )
    PD070=1
    PD072=400
    PD073=100
    PD120=110
    PD141=220
    Pd142=9
    PD143=2
    PD144=3000
    PD174=11

    Red are the once you wanted me to change, and I'm going to take this jumper https://imgur.com/a/u6LiIao (I'm assuming this is J1 jumper) and move it to 1-2 close position and then
    am going to connect:

    AO on mb3 is going to Vl on vfd
    AG on mb3 is going to ACM on vfd
    CM3 on mb3 is going to FOR on vfd
    NO3 on mb3 is going to DCM on vfd

    this wires to my VFD.

    Just saw your new post.

    I have also changed
    mach4 (configure-control-spindle) to 24000 https://imgur.com/a/wmNyOyj
    I'm not sure what do I have to change in my ESS spindle setings https://imgur.com/a/Y0OWNDM

    Then I'm going to take a little dial on my VFD and move it about half way, and then go and do M03 in MDI and spindle should come on, and do M05 and spindle should turn off.

    Do I have this right?



  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    Ok, so im going to take my existing parameters and change to the ones you gave me at the beginning of this tread

    PD000=0
    PD001=0
    PD002=0
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD006=150
    PD007=20
    PD008=220
    PD009=82
    PD010=11
    PD011=100
    PD014=8( Acceleration Adjust to suit )
    PD015=8( Deceleration Adjust to suit )
    PD023=0( Forward Rotation Only )
    PD070=1
    PD072=400
    PD073=100
    PD120=110
    PD141=220
    Pd142=9
    PD143=2
    PD144=3000
    PD174=11

    Red are the once you wanted me to change, and I'm going to take this jumper https://imgur.com/a/u6LiIao (I'm assuming this is J1 jumper) and move it to 1-2 close position and then
    am going to connect:

    AO on mb3 is going to Vl on vfd
    AG on mb3 is going to ACM on vfd
    CM3 on mb3 is going to FOR on vfd
    NO3 on mb3 is going to DCM on vfd

    this wires to my VFD.

    Just saw your new post.

    I have also changed
    mach4 (configure-control-spindle) to 24000 https://imgur.com/a/wmNyOyj
    I'm not sure what do I have to change in my ESS spindle setings https://imgur.com/a/Y0OWNDM

    Then I'm going to take a little dial on my VFD and move it about half way, and then go and do M03 in MDI and spindle should come on, and do M05 and spindle should turn off.

    Do I have this right?
    PD001=1 Sometimes it can be ( 0 ) for remote control it has to be ( 1 )

    I only said to connect the Relay connections for a test run, you have the 0-10v working at the Board level yet so should not be connecting it

    Mactec54


  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    PD001=1 Sometimes it can be ( 0 ) for remote control it has to be ( 1 )

    I only said to connect the Relay connections for a test run, you have the 0-10v working at the Board level yet so should not be connecting it
    Ok, my mistake.

    I only connected FOR and DCM and corrected PD001 to 1 and have this settings now

    PD000=0
    PD001=1
    PD002=0
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD006=150
    PD007=20
    PD008=220
    PD009=82
    PD010=11
    PD011=100
    PD014=8
    PD015=8
    PD023=0
    PD070=1
    PD072=400
    PD073=100
    PD120=110
    PD141=220
    Pd142=9
    PD143=2
    PD144=3000
    PD174=11

    I took a little dial on my VFD and turned it half way https://imgur.com/a/MBg8xYx

    if I go mach4 and press "SPINDLE CW/STOP" the spindle comes on and goes to 24000 rpm and if I press it again spindle stops, however, if I turn spindle ON and try to use the little dial on the VFD to change RPM nothing happens, spindle just keep spinning at 24000 RPM .



  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12390
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

    Quote Originally Posted by darko9000 View Post
    Ok, my mistake.

    I only connected FOR and DCM and corrected PD001 to 1 and have this settings now

    PD000=0
    PD001=1
    PD002=0
    PD003=400
    PD004=400
    PD005=400
    PD006=150
    PD007=20
    PD008=220
    PD009=82
    PD010=11
    PD011=100
    PD014=8
    PD015=8
    PD023=0
    PD070=1
    PD072=400
    PD073=100
    PD120=110
    PD141=220
    Pd142=9
    PD143=2
    PD144=3000
    PD174=11

    I took a little dial on my VFD and turned it half way https://imgur.com/a/MBg8xYx

    if I go mach4 and press "SPINDLE CW/STOP" the spindle comes on and goes to 24000 rpm and if I press it again spindle stops, however, if I turn spindle ON and try to use the little dial on the VFD to change RPM nothing happens, spindle just keep spinning at 24000 RPM .
    Ok try PD001=0 then see if you have Pot control

    Mactec54


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS

VFD wiring with MB3 and ESS