EMI noise, grounding, connection problems with new VFD 2.2kw spindle - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMI noise, grounding, connection problems with new VFD 2.2kw spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EMI noise, grounding, connection problems with new VFD 2.2kw spindle

Quote Originally Posted by John-Nicholas View Post
    In no way would I consider myself an expert... but I do remember seeing someone adding 220 to their shop and they had to replace the plastic conduit with metal and run individual wires. Previously they were going to run romex through the plastic conduit. I do not recall what the issue was (maybe a grounding issues??) but it might be worth looking into.

Another area to consider is the dust collector, is the flexible tube properly grounded?
    That would make no difference what's so ever Conduit is Conduit, or what wire you run in it, it is amazing what people will say

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: EMI noise, grounding, connection problems with new VFD 2.2kw spindle

Quote Originally Posted by cholme View Post
    I would love to find out what is actually going on. I don't know if photos will explain very much, but I will try to explain how it is setup and wired.

Here is what I have:
    X-Carve with upgraded rails, and gantry (aluminum rails with linear bearings)
    2.2kw water cooled spindle 220v

I am on household 220v

My spindle is wired with #18 awg, braided sheilded wire. Pins 1,2,3 are wired to U,V,W on the VFD. The shielding is grounded at the VFD. Pin 4 I tried both running to the ground on the VFD and I tried it not wired to anything. (same results on both)
    My VFD is wired directly to a dedicated 220v breaker (Black, Black, Green - Hot, Hot, Ground)

I'm not sure what other info is needed. I don't want anything to be unsafe and can't imagine what could possibly wrong.

Attachment 465286
    So you have mounted the VFD on the wall with is own 240v Single Phase Power Supply and you have another 120v supply for the rest of your machines requirement's

By doing this you have a formed Ground loop and this is where some of your problems are coming from

I need close up photos of the VFD Drive wiring and the control box wiring to see how we can correct this

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

18 awg. would be a little light for a 2.2Kw spindle

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

My water spindle is wired similarly: 1,2,3,4 is U, W, V, then ground. Swapped W and V to reverse. Using a 220 line to an old heat pump with its own breaker. Also have the outside of the spindle grounded for extra precaution. Machine is plugged into a standard 110 outlet.

I never had a problem.

Many other differences like I’m using a relay circuit to start the spindle off Pokeys57cnc that is attached to a pc using an Ethernet cable running Mach4. CAM is vectric.

Seems like there are many signals and screens in Mach to debug this. Especially if it happens every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    My water spindle is wired similarly: 1,2,3,4 is U, W, V, then ground. Swapped W and V to reverse. Using a 220 line to an old heat pump with its own breaker. Also have the outside of the spindle grounded for extra precaution. Machine is plugged into a standard 110 outlet.

I never had a problem.

Many other differences like I’m using a relay circuit to start the spindle off Pokeys57cnc that is attached to a pc using an Ethernet cable running Mach4. CAM is vectric.

Seems like there are many signals and screens in Mach to debug this. Especially if it happens every time.

You are using a 120v / 240v in NA there is no such thing as a 220v or 110v in NA

It may work, but you have a Ground loop which means your Grounding system is compromised and would not pass code

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes... 240 v (measures at 239ish)

How can I troubleshoot the grounding loop? I can't figure out where it would be creating a loop? Currently, the control board is plugged into a 120v line and thus is grounded there. The machine rails and gantry are grounded to the 240v line ground, and the spindle is grounded to the the 240v ground.

The setups I have tried have had the rails etc. grounded to the control board... The rails etc. not grounded to anything... The spindle (before I separated it with the phenolic plate) grounded to the control board... spindle grounded to vfd. I think I tried every combo of grounding I could think of.

What am I missing? Are there any tricks to finding grounding loops?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes... 240 v (measures at 239ish)

How can I troubleshoot the grounding loop? I can't figure out where it would be creating a loop? Currently, the control board is plugged into a 120v line and thus is grounded there. The machine rails and gantry are grounded to the 240v line ground, and the spindle is grounded to the the 240v ground.

The setups I have tried have had the rails etc. grounded to the control board... The rails etc. not grounded to anything... The spindle (before I separated it with the phenolic plate) grounded to the control board... spindle grounded to vfd. I think I tried every combo of grounding I could think of.

What am I missing? Are there any tricks to finding grounding loops?
    You really have it quite messed up Grounding is simple just has to be done correctly

You are using ( 2 ) power source's a 120v supply and a 240v supply for ( 1 ) machine you have ( 2 ) separate Grounds ( 1 ) Ground for the 120v supply and ( 1 ) Ground for the 240v supply this is where your Ground loop comes from, a Ground loop is formed when you use ( 2 ) different supplies for the same machine

You should only have ( 1 ) power supply source for your machine

How do you fix this you use a 240v 4 wire supply this is the correct way to do it and the only way to avoid a Ground loop

So the 240v supply will have 2 Hot a Neutral and Ground, which will give you 240v / 120v supply for your machine you split it up from there to where it needs to go

You VFD Drive also needs to be mounted in a metal Box also or at the least on an aluminum / steel plate so this can be the Ground Plane

And a EMI Power Filter at the VFD Drive supply input will be needed, this is the Power Filter you need

TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L There are no substitutes these are the best EMI Power Filter for your install

None of these things will change until the VFD Drive is mounted correctly and the Power supply is corrected

So first figure out your 240v main power supply 4 wire should be a minimum of 25A supply 30A is better for your machine, and I will help you get the rest of your wiring done how it should be

Will need photos as you progress

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome!!!! Thanks so much! So many people I have talked to have been insistent that the spindle and control board need to be on separate circuits… I didn’t give that a second thought.

I’ll post as I get to make the changes.

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You really have it quite messed up Grounding is simple just has to be done correctly

You are using ( 2 ) power source's a 120v supply and a 240v supply for ( 1 ) machine you have ( 2 ) separate Grounds ( 1 ) Ground for the 120v supply and ( 1 ) Ground for the 240v supply this is where your Ground loop comes from, a Ground loop is formed when you use ( 2 ) different supplies for the same machine

You should only have ( 1 ) power supply source for your machine

How do you fix this you use a 240v 4 wire supply this is the correct way to do it and the only way to avoid a Ground loop

So the 240v supply will have 2 Hot a Neutral and Ground, which will give you 240v / 120v supply for your machine you split it up from there to where it needs to go

You VFD Drive also needs to be mounted in a metal Box also or at the least on an aluminum / steel plate so this can be the Ground Plane

And a EMI Power Filter at the VFD Drive supply input will be needed, this is the Power Filter you need

TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L There are no substitutes these are the best EMI Power Filter for your install

None of these things will change until the VFD Drive is mounted correctly and the Power supply is corrected

So first figure out your 240v main power supply 4 wire should be a minimum of 25A supply 30A is better for your machine, and I will help you get the rest of your wiring done how it should be

Will need photos as you progress

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome!!!! Thanks so much! So many people I have talked to have been insistent that the spindle and control board need to be on separate circuits… I didn’t give that a second thought.

I’ll post as I get to make the changes.

Thanks so much!
    Not many people understand, and there are plenty that will give you an uneducated guess, of what they think will work, which in most cases is incorrect

Can you imagine a Company selling a CNC machine or any type of machine and telling the customer that you will need a 240v service and a 120v service to run there machine this is not going to happen, in reality, NA is the only part of the world that uses 120v Single Phase all the rest use 220v / 230 / 240v for single Phase so most will never have to encounter this problem, the Best for anyone in NA that is Building a Machine is to use 240v for everything

You have a lot of little things that need to be corrected, so start with the 240v Power service, then we will move to the EMI Power Filter and the mounting of the VFD Drive either in a Box or on a metal plate this plate needs to be big enough for the Power filter and a breaker for the 120v supply and a place to mount a Ground Bus

A Box with a fan is best as this will help to keep the dust out of the VFD Drive, they don't last very long if they can suck in any dust, if a Box this can be plastic but must have a metal Plate inside that everything is mounted on

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    A Box with a fan is best as this will help to keep the dust out of the VFD Drive, they don't last very long if they can suck in any dust, if a Box this can be plastic but must have a metal Plate inside that everything is mounted on
    If there a particular enclosure that you have used?

Downloads
    Uploads

If there a particular enclosure that you have used?
    I make my own custom for each build, but any Metal enclosure that you can fit everything in, they are never big enough so don't get it to small, you can find some good deals on used and new boxes on eBay, they may have holes and cutout that you can fill, make sure it is deep enough as well so figure out some rough dimension's and see what is close to what you need so if you measure your VFD Drive how tall it is and add 2" that should be how deep you want the box to be Plastic enclosures are ok as well as long as they have a metal mounting plate inside

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

So this thread has gone on for almost a month. The original issues is the machine stops mid program. Then this ground loop theory came up, even though my machine is set up exactly the same and I apparently also have ground looping, but have never had an issue.

It would be great if after all these changes are made that we hear if the original problem is solved.

Downloads
    Uploads

So this thread has gone on for almost a month. The original issues is the machine stops mid program. Then this ground loop theory came up, even though my machine is set up exactly the same and I apparently also have ground looping, but have never had an issue.

It would be great if after all these changes are made that we hear if the original problem is solved.

It is not a Ground loop theory, I'm sure his problem will be solved and his wiring will be to code

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

..my money is still on the USB Interface...for 99 to 1 odds is catching EMI or just to slow PC

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ..my money is still on the USB Interface...for 99 to 1 odds is catching EMI or just to slow PC
    It most likely is but you have to fix the EMI problem first, when you have to isolate the Spindle you have some serious wiring problems

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Where is the best location for the TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L. Closer to main panel or Closer to VFD. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shadyoak View Post
    Where is the best location for the TDK Lambda RSEN-2030L. Closer to main panel or Closer to VFD. Thanks
    If this is just for the VFD Drive, you want it as close as you can to the input power supply to the VFD Drive, either to the side of the VFD Drive or directly in front, if using single phase supply Twist, the 2 power wires together but not the Ground, have a good Grounding Bus or Star Point Grounding stud where all your Ground wires are connected

Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12