Lurching on Reset- when spindle running

Thread: Lurching on Reset- when spindle running

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lurching on Reset- when spindle running

My issue is this: When my vfd is on and spindle is running, and I click reset in Mach3, the X and Y axis (possible Z as well) lurch or jerk as much as a few inches. This makes my settings in Mach3 no longer zero, and I need to reset the zero point to resume cutting. The lurching happens only when I disengage, not when I engage the controller. That is, when the controller is on, and I can move the gantry/axis, and then click reset to disengage the controller, this is when the lurching happens. It doesn't happen when I engage the controller.

It also doesn't happen when the VFD is on, but the spindle is not running. Its only when the spindle is running and I click reset in Mach. Hope this makes some sense.

I just completed checking grounds- all components are grounded to the same point, and I verified that I get continuity from each component to the central ground point. My grounded components include:
    • VFD drive
    • Spindle
    • Z Axis, Gantry, and table
    • Computer
    • Ascension 1000 controller with Gecko202 s
    • Battery backup unit (computer and controller are plugged into this)

All show continuity with the common ground point.

The electric circuits are on separate breakers- the VFD uses 220, and is on a different breaker than the computer and controller, which use 110v.

I expected a ground issue- but that doesn't seem to be it. What else can cause the sort of lurching on disengagement? Its not just a little bit- its at least two inches on x axis and y.

Thanks for any clues here. Its hard to reset when I have any cutting issues when disengaging the controller causes a full loss of zero reference.

Wayne from White Salmon

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lurching on Reset- when spindle running

I did some poking around- as I was tracing back the spindle wire, I noticed that it was zip tied right against the Z axis limit switch. (veterans will laugh here, recognizing the issue). When I removed it from that ziptie, and tried to reset it I found it lurched before I even pressed reset when I moved the spindle cable near the Z Axis connector.

THis looks to me like a case of interference from the spindle cable.

I watched a couple videos and read some stuff- I think I know where to start.
    I guess I'm like lots of CNC hobbyists- I'm so involved in just getting the thing to run that I didn't take into consideration how to route cables and prevent some of these issues.
    I haven't fixed it yet, but I have a good idea of what to do. I'm going to upgrade the spindle cable to one with better shielding, and upgrade my motor connectors to shielded ones. I'm going to clean up my cable routing. Then I'm going to add some ferrites, and probably a good EMI trap on the power line as well.
    Lots of work, but its a long overdue clean up job.

Wayne from White Salmon

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lurching on Reset- when spindle running

Quote Originally Posted by wfws View Post
    My issue is this: When my vfd is on and spindle is running, and I click reset in Mach3, the X and Y axis (possible Z as well) lurch or jerk as much as a few inches. This makes my settings in Mach3 no longer zero, and I need to reset the zero point to resume cutting. The lurching happens only when I disengage, not when I engage the controller. That is, when the controller is on, and I can move the gantry/axis, and then click reset to disengage the controller, this is when the lurching happens. It doesn't happen when I engage the controller.

It also doesn't happen when the VFD is on, but the spindle is not running. Its only when the spindle is running and I click reset in Mach. Hope this makes some sense.

I just completed checking grounds- all components are grounded to the same point, and I verified that I get continuity from each component to the central ground point. My grounded components include:
    • VFD drive
    • Spindle
    • Z Axis, Gantry, and table
    • Computer
    • Ascension 1000 controller with Gecko202 s
    • Battery backup unit (computer and controller are plugged into this)

All show continuity with the common ground point.

The electric circuits are on separate breakers- the VFD uses 220, and is on a different breaker than the computer and controller, which use 110v.

I expected a ground issue- but that doesn't seem to be it. What else can cause the sort of lurching on disengagement? Its not just a little bit- its at least two inches on x axis and y.

Thanks for any clues here. Its hard to reset when I have any cutting issues when disengaging the controller causes a full loss of zero reference.

Wayne from White Salmon
    The spindle should never be able to run before you have Reset the control

You have also created a Ground loop with using ( 2 ) different power sources, you should only have ( 1 ) power supply source to your machine

This sounds like you have a lot of possible wiring problems and yes that could also include the Shielded Spindle Cable

Mactec54