Need Help! VFD Start / Stop with a relay

Thread: VFD Start / Stop with a relay

Downloads
    Uploads

Default VFD Start / Stop with a relay

Hello,

I have been scouring the internet trying to figure out a way to get my Huanyang HY01D511B 110v VFD spindle to activate the spindle to begin to run with a simple relay.

Machine i am using is a Nextwave Automation Shark HD 510, I sue the pendant to move, load files and start / Stop jobs. NO PC is hooked to it to run it at all. The machine has a controller with a switched 110v output on the back. This normally would be hooked to a 120 palm router and when the g-code would give the command to start, this port become active and turns on the router. I have a simple 110v AC / 24v DC Relay ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1 )

I currently use the machine and just start / stop it with the normal buttons and adjust the speeds. I just want the thing to start running when the relay goes live and shut off then it turns off.

Attached is a picture of the VFD boards and the Relay I also am using.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Start / Stop with a relay-20210207_133851-jpg   VFD Start / Stop with a relay-20210207_133905-jpg   VFD Start / Stop with a relay-20210207_134525-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFD Start / Stop with a relay

Then you use the same N.O. contacts on the relay unit into the FWD PLC terminals on the VFD.
    Blue & Orange.
    Where do you have the P.B. connected at the moment?
    If using the front panel on the VFD, then you will need to set it to remote input and use a separate 5k pot to control the RPM into the analogue in.,
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Peenutt View Post
    Hello,

I have been scouring the internet trying to figure out a way to get my Huanyang HY01D511B 110v VFD spindle to activate the spindle to begin to run with a simple relay.

Machine i am using is a Nextwave Automation Shark HD 510, I sue the pendant to move, load files and start / Stop jobs. NO PC is hooked to it to run it at all. The machine has a controller with a switched 110v output on the back. This normally would be hooked to a 120 palm router and when the g-code would give the command to start, this port become active and turns on the router. I have a simple 110v AC / 24v DC Relay ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1 )

I currently use the machine and just start / stop it with the normal buttons and adjust the speeds. I just want the thing to start running when the relay goes live and shut off then it turns off.

Attached is a picture of the VFD boards and the Relay I also am using.
    This is quite simple seeing you already have the relay you will have to put a Diode across the NO /Com just to be safe unless you get a SSR solid state relay then you don need the diode

So connect the FOR and DCM VFD Terminals to COM and NO you will need to change PD001=1 for remote control

How are you controlling the speed

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Start / Stop with a relay-dc-snubber-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    This is quite simple seeing you already have the relay you will have to put a Diode across the NO /Com just to be safe unless you get a SSR solid state relay then you don need the diode

S
    There is no BEMF across the relay contacts, especially using a opto input.
    The diode only goes across the coil if DC, this appears to be an AC coil relay so it would be a snubber, if needed at all!
    The relay can be operated with HV & LV AC as well as 24vDC so the nature of the actual relay is moot?
    A 5k linear pot can be used for the speed adjust.
    The OP appears to mention a 110vac switched output for the relay

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well then. I didnt think it would be that simple!! We got very confused trying to read the manual for the VFD on this too. I had found the idea over on the nextwave forums and it also stated that i needed to set the PD001 setting to 1. Info was from post # 6 here https://forums.nextwaveautomation.co...ff-for-spindle

So to be clear, cause i would HATE to burn up this VFD. All i would have to do is put the Orange wire ( N.O ) to the FWD terminal in the VFD.

Thanks so much also for the help Al. IM learning to run this for my battalion chief with the fire district i volunteer at.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not just the orange wire the blue common needs to go to the DCM, you also need a 5k potentiometer connected to the +10v VR, V1 and acm for RPM control.
    Al..

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

This look about right?

Once again. Thanks for all the help

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Start / Stop with a relay-relay-set-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    There is no BEMF across the relay contacts, especially using a opto input.
    The diode only goes across the coil if DC, this appears to be an AC coil relay so it would be a snubber, if needed at all!
    The relay can be operated with HV & LV AC as well as 24vDC so the nature of the actual relay is moot?
    A 5k linear pot can be used for the speed adjust.
    The OP appears to mention a 110vac switched output for the relay
    Correct I just saw the 24vDc, if his VFD has a pot he most likely is using that to set the speed and just the On/Off with the relay

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

This look about right?

Once again. Thanks for all the help
    Correct you may need some other Parameters as well, and the J1 Jumper will have to be changed

Have you set the correct Parameters for your spindle this is important that they are correct

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Correct I just saw the 24vDc, if his VFD has a pot he most likely is using that to set the speed and just the On/Off with the relay
    That is correct. The relay is getting a 110v input from the controller. I just want this to turn my spindle on. I'm hoping I can still use the onboard pot on the VFD to control the speed. Now if that is not possible I totally understand and will put a 5k pot in there to do that.

in the first post I put a link to the exact relay I am using.

Downloads
    Uploads

That does not appear to be a standard/simple relay due to the 3 voltage options, but presumably should do the trick.
    Yes you need the external linear pot.

See:
    0 Set by the operator. Operating frequency is given via the digital operator.

1 Set by external terminals. Operating Frequency is controlled by analog signal
    via external terminals. The signal type is determined by PD070. For the related parameters refer to
    PD070-PD076.

2 Set by communication ports. Operating frequency is given via the serial communication.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

That does not appear to be a standard/simple relay due to the 3 voltage options, but presumably should do the trick.
    Yes you need the external linear pot.

See:
    0 Set by the operator. Operating frequency is given via the digital operator.

1 Set by external terminals. Operating Frequency is controlled by analog signal
    via external terminals. The signal type is determined by PD070. For the related parameters refer to
    PD070-PD076.

2 Set by communication ports. Operating frequency is given via the serial communication.
    Al.
    Some of these VFD Drives the Pot on the Drive will still work when using remote control for the On / Off so he may not need to add a remote Pot

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

That is correct. The relay is getting a 110v input from the controller. I just want this to turn my spindle on. I'm hoping I can still use the onboard pot on the VFD to control the speed. Now if that is not possible I totally understand and will put a 5k pot in there to do that.

in the first post I put a link to the exact relay I am using.
    Correct I did not look at the relay spec's which is an unusual relay you are using, 120v if you are in NA not 110v

So the combination of Parameters may get you where you want to be the VFD Drive Pot can sometimes be used

PD001=1
    PD002=1 J1 Jumper also needs to be in the right position for this to work
    PD070=1
    PD072=400
    PD073=120 ( Minimum Speed will depend on your spindle you are using if water cooled this can be 100 )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

As a rule, most devices are manuf with a 10% tolerance, so I wouldn't expect any problem on 120v.
    Also if made with 50hz in mind, using on 60Hz should compensate.
    The one's I have met so far, did not enable the built in pot when in remote.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a rule, most devices are manuf with a 10% tolerance, so I wouldn't expect any problem on 120v.
    Also if made with 50hz in mind, using on 60Hz should compensate.
    The one's I have met so far, did not enable the built in pot when in remote.
    Al.
    It would depend on what Parameters you set some of the older drives used 0-10v most of the newer drives use 0-5v which is used in the remote configuration so can be used he will have to change around the Parameters a little to see what will work plus the J1 Jumper

Older drives this did not work and some of the newer drives also so he will have to try it to see what he has

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I will be able to try setting this up again on Saturday. I will report back how it goes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the long Delay. Things happened and I wasnt able to get to the machine right away.

I got it working like it want. Attached is the config that worked. I was able to maintain the use of the speed control on the VFD as I wanted.

Thanks everyone for the help and Input.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VFD Start / Stop with a relay-20210207_133851-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the long Delay. Things happened and I wasnt able to get to the machine right away.

I got it working like it want. Attached is the config that worked. I was able to maintain the use of the speed control on the VFD as I wanted.

Thanks everyone for the help and Input.
    Correct that is the normal way to do it, you should twist those wires to help with a potential noise problem

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

If my VFD has a normally open relay built in, can I connect FWD to this to achieve the same thing? Sorry if that’s a silly question but I don’t have a separate or integrated relay on my control board