Need Help! Fuji Frenic Mini VFD wont boot

Thread: Fuji Frenic Mini VFD wont boot

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fuji Frenic Mini VFD wont boot

I have a Fuji electric Frenic Mini VFD to power my lathe from single phase.

All of a sudden, when I flip the disconnect to power it up, the display which shows frequency either shows nothing, or starts to go from 0 to 60 (hz) very briefly before dying. If I apply some light percussive maintenance to the left hand side it will sometimes light up the display, eventually getting to 60 Hz but never fully powering on. At no point does the fan spin up like it usually does when the drive is powered.

Obviously it seems like something internal is loose/broken but not in an area that is easily user serviceable. Any suggestions?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fuji Frenic Mini VFD wont boot

Internal auxiliary power supply bad. Normal occurrence on older units. Start-up circuit shot.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmesa View Post
    I have a Fuji electric Frenic Mini VFD to power my lathe from single phase.

All of a sudden, when I flip the disconnect to power it up, the display which shows frequency either shows nothing, or starts to go from 0 to 60 (hz) very briefly before dying. If I apply some light percussive maintenance to the left hand side it will sometimes light up the display, eventually getting to 60 Hz but never fully powering on. At no point does the fan spin up like it usually does when the drive is powered.

Obviously it seems like something internal is loose/broken but not in an area that is easily user serviceable. Any suggestions?
    What is the Hp of the Drive and Motor for a lathe the VFD needs to have a much higher rating then the motor also a EMI Power Filter will help save a VFD Drive when powering up, this will reduce any spikes the switching can cause

TDK RSEN 2030L is for 30A depending on the max of the VFD Drive using Single Phase the input Amps will be double of the output so size the Filter to what is needed larger does not affect anything smaller than needed will fail

Sounds like the VFD Drive is damaged

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    What is the Hp of the Drive and Motor for a lathe the VFD needs to have a much higher rating then the motor also a EMI Power Filter will help save a VFD Drive when powering up, this will reduce any spikes the switching can cause

TDK RSEN 2030L is for 30A depending on the max of the VFD Drive using Single Phase the input Amps will be double of the output so size the Filter to what is needed larger does not affect anything smaller than needed will fail

Sounds like the VFD Drive is damaged

Motor is 3HP and the Drive is 3HP FRN0012C2S-7U. Why would the drive need to be oversized, this is within it's rated capability?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmesa View Post
    Motor is 3HP and the Drive is 3HP FRN0012C2S-7U. Why would the drive need to be oversized, this is within it's rated capability?

The main problems with a lathe there is a lot of inertia, than say a mill this plays hard on the drive electronics when using single phase, it is always recommended to go 1.5 Hp to 2 Hp bigger for the VFD Drive when using single phase
    even though the drive is rated for 3Hp it's electronics will suffer, but I believe your problem may be the front end electronics which would of been caused by the switching on of the drive you want that power filter to protect it from any spikes and inrush power If you check your manual you will see that they have a EMI Filter close to the power input to the VFD Drive this is the correct way to install these or any VFD Drives

Mactec54